Cheapest way to call home????

scomar

After reading the advice on these boards, we purchased a NET10 phone from Walmart for $30, including the phone and 300 minutes. You can see the options at net10.com. The national rate is 10 cents a minute and the international rate is 15 cents a minute. a poster on another thread said the phone even worked when the ship was at sea. We sail next Saturday, I hope they're right!

I bought a calling card in a gift shop in Grand Cayman, and it was super cheap, consider GC prices. I think it worked out to be less than a nickel a minute.

Didn't buy one in any of the other ports, though. Bet it's just as easy. I've never had trouble finding calling cards from any country.

After reading the advice on these boards, we purchased a NET10 phone from Walmart for $30, including the phone and 300 minutes. You can see the options at net10.com. The national rate is 10 cents a minute and the international rate is 15 cents a minute. a poster on another thread said the phone even worked when the ship was at sea. We sail next Saturday, I hope they're right!

If they disable your SIMS card you may have to request a new one when you get home, but Iv read they work too, just might not continue to work once they catch where the signal is coming from. My tracfone said "emergencies only" so I could have obviously used it.

If they disable your SIMS card you may have to request a new one when you get home, but Iv read they work too, just might not continue to work once they catch where the signal is coming from. My tracfone said "emergencies only" so I could have obviously used it.

I'm sorry this is over my head. How could they disable my SIMS card (whatever that is)? Maybe I should only use the phone when we are in port? I only need to check my messages every couple of days to return any calls I feel can't wait for me to get home. In my business it is very hard to get away!

They dont want you to call from foreign countries for two times the price at least on Tracfone. Some have said their phone was disabled, and they used it in ports.

Its hit or miss, maybe you will get lucky. I dont think either type of phone is guaranteed to work because that cheap price is meant for U.S. calls. Other phones that work you have to sign up for International service which is much higher priced than your Net10 or my tracfone. (im sure you know net10 is owned by tracfone, so probably similar service).

They dont want you to call from foreign countries for two times the price at least on Tracfone. Some have said their phone was disabled, and they used it in ports.

Its hit or miss, maybe you will get lucky. I dont think either type of phone is guaranteed to work because that cheap price is meant for U.S. calls. Other phones that work you have to sign up for International service which is much higher priced than your Net10 or my tracfone. (im sure you know net10 is owned by tracfone, so probably similar service).

I think that doesn't apply to my plan because the net10 website says that international long distance is just 5 cents a minute more than the national rate of 10 cents. If the website is correct, I have either 200 minutes of international or 300 minutes of national service pre-paid. I have no use for the phone once I get home, I already have service with AT&T. I will be very upset if the phone is disabled!

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from the Triumph Eastern Caribbean with an update on the Net10 phone. It worked fine from all of the ports which were Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. In the beginning of the cruise it was working from the ship. By the time we got to St. Thomas, we had no bars and no service onboard. Carnival must have a way to block pre paid phones from using their tower, but there was no problem from any of the ports, not even in Grand Turk which is in the British West Indies, where we didn't expect it to work. It came in very handy, as we were able to keep in touch and return important calls. We ended up using about 150 minutes. It was well worth the cost of $30 as compared to what AT&T would have charged us for roaming. I will use this service again!

This might sound like a stupid question but can't I just use my regular cell phone. I know I'll have to pay fees (international, etc.) but I only want to call my 83yr old mother once or twice to be sure she's ok and I want her to be able to get me if she wants. Not that I know what I would could do in Tortola if she needs me in Philly;)

I think that doesn't apply to my plan because the net10 website says that international long distance is just 5 cents a minute more than the national rate of 10 cents. If the website is correct, I have either 200 minutes of international or 300 minutes of national service pre-paid. I have no use for the phone once I get home, I already have service with AT&T. I will be very upset if the phone is disabled!

"International Rates" are rates FROM the U.S. TO international numbers not for international roaming. This is a quote from the net10 terms and conditions clause

"You will not be able to make or receive calls on your NET10 phone if you are traveling outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Which can be found here: http://www.net10.com/content/terms_conditions.jsp

I realize some have had sucess with Net10 on cruises. Please let us know how you make out. I will be curious to hear.

"International Rates" are rates FROM the U.S. TO international numbers not for international roaming. This is a quote from the net10 terms and conditions clause

"You will not be able to make or receive calls on your NET10 phone if you are traveling outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands."

Which can be found here: http://www.net10.com/content/terms_conditions.jsp

I realize some have had sucess with Net10 on cruises. Please let us know how you make out. I will be curious to hear.

Please read post #9 with my review, feel free to ask any questions!

Whoops... how did I miss that... And that is one of the things that 'irks' me... when people don't pick up on those things lol.

Thank you for pointing that out ! We will pick one up and try it, we will have a use for it at home even if something happens that we don't have the sucess that you did. We will be in Mexico, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman hope we have similar luck.

Thank you again for keeping us updated.

I bought a calling card in a gift shop in Grand Cayman, and it was super cheap, consider GC prices. I think it worked out to be less than a nickel a minute.

Didn't buy one in any of the other ports, though. Bet it's just as easy. I've never had trouble finding calling cards from any country.

If you are going to GC you can call home or use the internet for free at a few of the stores right across the street from where the ship tenders. This is how we phoned home to check on our little one and then my hubby phoned his parents. You only get 5 minutes per call but you can make as many calls as you need to.:)

I'm sorry this is over my head. How could they disable my SIMS card (whatever that is)? Maybe I should only use the phone when we are in port? I only need to check my messages every couple of days to return any calls I feel can't wait for me to get home. In my business it is very hard to get away!

When Tracfone detected that I was using a foreign tower in the Carib, they sent a signal to my phone which "fried" my SIM card. They replaced my SIM card when I returned home, but that was the end of the phone for the rest of the trip.

If you just intend to call home once or twice, use your own cellphone. I have Verizon and have International roaming enabled while on the cruise. The rates are: on the ship, $2.49 per minute. In St. Thomas, $.69; in Nassau and St. Maartin, $1.29. Call youor cellphone provider for more info.

Obviously it is cheaper to call while in port. When not using your phone, turn it off and leave it in your cabin. If it is still on, any calls that go to voice mail will appear on your statement at the $2.49 rate.

If you go off the ship and use one of the internet places that have internet use for 1.00 an hr take a magic jack with you. You can then call home or as many places as you want for nothing more than the 1.00.

My son had a magic jack and we hooked up a corded phone attached it to the internet and called away. We did get many funny stares as we used it on the ship in the internet lounge. My daughter's employer paid for internet use (as they needed to stay in touch with her) so it cost us nothing.

If you go off the ship and use one of the internet places that have internet use for 1.00 an hr take a magic jack with you. You can then call home or as many places as you want for nothing more than the 1.00.

My son had a magic jack and we hooked up a corded phone attached it to the internet and called away. We did get many funny stares as we used it on the ship in the internet lounge. My daughter's employer paid for internet use (as they needed to stay in touch with her) so it cost us nothing.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I had my magicjack at home didn't bring it with me. Darnit. I haven't got my cellphone bill yet. I called home to my kids 3 times during my cruise and didn't talk more than 4 minutes each time but that could be an extra $30 on my bill. We'll see. I left my phone turned off the entire time we were on the ship except when I made a call cuz it kept trying to find a signal & drain the battery at times. Plus I got random text messages telling me I was roaming internationally and I pay for text messages so I just turned off the phone. My family knew how to reach me in a real emergency by calling Carnival shore to ship.

Please read post #9 with my review, feel free to ask any questions!

Dumplynn

Can you tell me if your phone was GSM or CDMA ?? Or if not at least what model it is ? I think this may be why there are different reports of coverage on cruises with Net10. They have both types available. I am thinking of picking one up next month.

I just got my magic jack and I just love it!! Plan on always taking it with me when I travel.

My last cruise was out of Galveston and I could use my Sprint cell phone the entire time and there were no charges on my bill. Everything came in and went out as local calls just like I was back home. A friend of mine paid ahead of time for international calling (AT&T if I remember correctly) and her phone worked as well. Without the need for the extra plan. I'm hoping all still rings true for our trip this summer.

Just back from the Triumph Eastern Caribbean with an update on the Net10 phone. It worked fine from all of the ports which were Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and Grand Turk. In the beginning of the cruise it was working from the ship. By the time we got to St. Thomas, we had no bars and no service onboard. Carnival must have a way to block pre paid phones from using their tower, but there was no problem from any of the ports, not even in Grand Turk which is in the British West Indies, where we didn't expect it to work. It came in very handy, as we were able to keep in touch and return important calls. We ended up using about 150 minutes. It was well worth the cost of $30 as compared to what AT&T would have charged us for roaming. I will use this service again!

I was wondering if you knew if your Net10 phone was GSM or CDMA ? Or What model it was ? GSM and CDMA have different coverages and I am wondering if this is why people are having different experiences with Net10. I was hoping to pick up one next month.

I was wondering if you knew if your Net10 phone was GSM or CDMA ? Or What model it was ? GSM and CDMA have different coverages and I am wondering if this is why people are having different experiences with Net10. I was hoping to pick up one next month.

I don't know one phone from another. We just went into Walmart and bought the cheapest phone for $30 which included 300 minutes. This is the phone we bought... http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5420747 As I said, I was pleased with the service, good luck!

Archived