Your thoughts on cruising RT from San Diego

Flyerfan12

Sounds crazy, but we are looking at doing this in the future. I know it's many days at sea. Has anyone here done this? What are the positives :) and negatives:( .

An advance thanks!

We've cruised this route twice and loved it both times. We enjoyed the sea days which allowed us time to relax before and after touring the islands. There was never a shortage of ship activities to participate in if you choose to do so..

We opted against a RT west coast sailing as we wanted to spend more of our Hawaii vacation in Hawaii (for example, the new 14 day princess itinerary has only 4 port calls in Hawaii with no overnights). We also wanted a cruise that could be combined with a resort stay on the Islands...so we chose NCLA (although the odd one-way sailings that carnival and other lines sometimes offer would allow this as well, but not during whale season ;-).

OTOH the round trip west coast itineraries are great for those that love sea days and don't want to spend a lot of time on the islands themselves.

we did this cruise last april and it was amazing !!!!!!

i loved island hopping since we had been to hawaii 2 times already but just to oahu, this is a nice way to see all the other islands,

and all the sea days are relaxing, and on the way back you have a lot of days to unwind before going home,

i would do this cruise every year if i could..

you can see our pics at

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558783606hmkHdQ

• Administrators

I agree with whale-watcher; if you love days at sea and spending as much time as you can in Hawaii isn't your primary goal, a round trip West Coast cruise is a great option. But, frankly, I've just seen too many posts here from folks who are on this type of "Hawaii cruise" wondering "how do we do X, Y, and Z on this island, because we are only there for 6 hours?" Or mentioning "Wow, I'd like to do X thing, but our ship doesn't stop at that island."

Don't get me wrong, I love cruising. But for Hawaii, even BEFORE I went there and CERTAINLY now that I have gone there, I would resent ANY minute of my "Hawaii vacation" time not spent exploring/enjoying/savoring Hawaii. Obviously that's a personal thing. Even on a port-intensive Hawaii cruise there still isn't enough time in port to do it "all," so folks might draw the balance differently than I do.

To answer the OP, I think the positives are: 1) many days at sea, and 2) much time to relax and enjoy the ship's amenities. I think the negatives are: 1) very little time in Hawaii compared to the overall vacation time used -- not a lot of Hawaiian "bang for the buck" so to speak -- 17 days of vacation spent, 4-5 of them actually in Hawaii, for example; and 2) the fact that these itineraries a) frequently omit major ports/islands (Kona and Kauai are often omitted) and/or b) give you only a 6-8 hour port visit, which effectively gives you 4-6 hours to do an excursion or see the island.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it is! There's nothing wrong with cruising for its own sake -- we've done cruises to nowhere, and will again, and we love sea days. But at least for us, Hawaii was SO special that the only reason we did it via a cruise ship was that we thereby gained a traveling hotel room and didn't have to waste exploration time flying from island to island. As long as the cabin was reasonably clean, and the food reasonably edible, we were thrilled to leave our ship every morning as soon as possible, and return each night to eat and crash, looking forward to the next day. That's not everyone's ideal vacation. ;) But it suited us in Hawaii.

You get 9 days at sea and 5 in hawaii. All 5 hawaii days are in a row, so none of the sea days break up the shore days.

Probably half the sea days are cold/windy on deck, all of them going at speed on the open ocean. In Winter the chances of rough days on the open pacific ocean are not small.

A really good part of these round trips is that you have less flying to do, you end up more rested thanks to sea days before and after hawaii.

I think many people enjoy the first set of sea days heading to hawaii, but then wonder if the second set of 5 days going home could have been better spent.

I really like the 7 day cruises that start and end in Hawaii. (see my sig) They see much more of Hawaii than the 14/15 day west coast round trips. The overnight stays on both Maui and Kauai really let you take a lot in without rushing about. These are the only cruises that sail past the Na Pali coast, one of the prettiest things you can see from a cruise ship. These all do nighttime sailing past the lava flows into the sea (when available), while only a minority of west-coast roundtrips will see it. Yeah I'm biased because I like them, but they're not for everyone. They only really get half a sea day (past Na Pali coast), have a very casual atmosphere without prearranged seatings. You do have to fly more, but they have one really big advantage over the west coast round trips -- you can extend your stay in a Hawaiian hotel! Which is better, 9 days in the open ocean and 5 in hawaii, or 7 in hawaii with a several day hotel add-on? Everyone has to answer for themselves but at least consider the option. Oh yeah, less likely to be rough within the islands than on the open ocean. No passports needed.

Another really fantastic option that everyone should consider are one-way cruises. These have 4 or 5 sea days instead of 9.

Unlike the west-coast roundtrips, these have the fantastic option of extending your stay for a few days in a hotel. More flying than the west-coast roundtrips but less than the cruises that start and end in Hawaii.

JMHO - If you want to see ALL the main islands (4) AND if you love sea days, OR if you have visited Hawaii before and/or plan to visit again, this is a wonderful cruise. You will have the opportunity to get a "taste" of each island, so you can choose the one you want to return to later on a land vacation! If you have been before, you'll know just where to spend your time on your day in port! We have done it three times on Princess RT from LA and we are VERY disappointed that starting in October this year that Princess will be eliminating the Kona port call.

We have been on both land trips (for business and pleasure) and we have also done the cruises that run in the fall and spring either from Vancouver to Honolulu (fall-our favorite) or spring from Ensenada to Honolulu (have not done this one).

The RT cruise from either LA or SD allows plenty of time for relaxing on the way over and back. You really feel like you've had a restful vacation in beautiful surroundings.

Monitarily, I doubt that you could do a 14-day land trip to Hawaii more economically and see all that you will see of the islands with meals, evening entertainment, interisland transportation, and if you rent a car on all the islands, tour as inexpensively as you can do it by cruising.

If this is a first trip to Hawaii or if there is a particular place you know you definitely want to go, be sure to check the itinerary carefully to make sure the ship has all ports (Kauai, Oahu, Maui, and Hawaii (Big Island - two stops, Hilo and Kona) planned.

Also, you need to be aware that the sea days are on the open ocean and the ship can encounter more "motion of the ocean" than you may anticipate. If seasickness is a problem, be sure to take recommended precautions.

There are reports of ports being missed at times, but that seems to be a rarity and can happen on any cruise anywhere. We have never missed a port on any of the Hawaii cruises we have taken in April-May, September-October, and in early December.

Keep reading these boards. You will find many many of us who have taken this cruise more than once and would do it again in a heartbeat! Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time in beautiful Hawaii. Aloha!

I've done the r/t LA to Hawaii cruise with Princess twice now, just having returned 2 weeks ago from the latest one. I'd happily go again today. It is the nicest cruise I have ever taken.

The sea days going out are wonderful for relaxing and getting ready to enjoy the time on the islands. There's so much offered in the way of activities, that one can do as much R&R as they want, or be busy every day.

The days on the islands are great. We chose mostly "Highlights of .........." type of tours so we got to visit the more notable spots. Don't miss Volcanoes National Park in Hilo, and the USS Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor in Honolulu.

The sea days on the way back give you time to relax and soak in the wonderful places you have seen and visited.

This type of cruise is a good one for folks who have not been to Hawaii, as it gives a taste of each island. It's also good for those who have been there before who want to see more of each island, and have lots of restful days at sea.

Each person has to decide what fit's their style and preferences. These r/ts suit me fine and I hope to take it another one in a few years.

Don't want to go against the flow and be a downer, but we did the 15 day R/T San Diego/Hawaii on HAL in November, 2005. Prior to this cruise we loved sea days, and looked forward to this cruise. But the entire 5 days over and 5 days returning were cold, windy, rough, and we couldn't get out on deck. Of course the 5 days in Hawaii were marvelous, but when we got back on the ship in Kona to start the return voyage, we knew what we were in for, and hated it! We just did the 7 day POH in January, and really feel that 7 days in Hawaii is better!

We did the 15 night Diamond Princess rtn over Christmas and New Years this year out of LA. It is a lot of time at sea for so few days in Hawaii but we knew that going in. So I think in your mind set you have is to see this as enjoyable or you shouldn't do it. There are all kinds of shopboard activities and the afternoon naps are nice. We were happy we did it, it gave us a real taste of 4 of the islands but next time we would likely fly and rent a condo for 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
I've done the r/t LA to Hawaii cruise with Princess twice now, just having returned 2 weeks ago from the latest one. I'd happily go again today. It is the nicest cruise I have ever taken.

The sea days going out are wonderful for relaxing and getting ready to enjoy the time on the islands. There's so much offered in the way of activities, that one can do as much R&R as they want, or be busy every day.

The days on the islands are great. We chose mostly "Highlights of .........." type of tours so we got to visit the more notable spots. Don't miss Volcanoes National Park in Hilo, and the USS Arizona Memorial/Pearl Harbor in Honolulu.

The sea days on the way back give you time to relax and soak in the wonderful places you have seen and visited.

This type of cruise is a good one for folks who have not been to Hawaii, as it gives a taste of each island. It's also good for those who have been there before who want to see more of each island, and have lots of restful days at sea.

Each person has to decide what fit's their style and preferences. These r/ts suit me fine and I hope to take it another one in a few years.

We did the 15 night Diamond Princess rtn over Christmas and New Years this year out of LA. It is a lot of time at sea for so few days in Hawaii but we knew that going in. So I think in your mind set you have is to see this as enjoyable or you shouldn't do it. There are all kinds of shopboard activities and the afternoon naps are nice. We were happy we did it, it gave us a real taste of 4 of the islands but next time we would likely fly and rent a condo for 2 weeks.

We want to cruise on the Golden Princess to Hawaii (roundtrip from LA) in Oct 2009. We are not avid flyers, so cruising to Hawaii is the perfect choice for us. It will be our first time there. I have some questions I hope you will be able to answer:

1. We stop at Hilo on the Big Island, Honolulu on Oahu, Port Allen (Hanapepe) on Kauai and Lahaina on Maui. Is Lahaina the only tender port of these ports?

2. At all 4 ports are you within walking distance of shops, etc. or is transportation (bus, taxi, etc) needed?

3. Does anyone know how far it is from Lahaina tender dock to the Maui Ocean Center? Is it easily walkable?

Thanks for all of your help.

We want to cruise on the Golden Princess to Hawaii (roundtrip from LA) in Oct 2009. We are not avid flyers, so cruising to Hawaii is the perfect choice for us. It will be our first time there.

Sounds like a good plan for someone who doesn't like flying. Do be sure that you're happy with that many sea days. Many people love that, we do not. When we're visiting Hawaii, we want to be in Hawaii. Remember that your time in the islands will be limited, and the cruise will give you a little "taste" of each one you visit.

I have some questions I hope you will be able to answer:

1. We stop at Hilo on the Big Island, Honolulu on Oahu, Port Allen (Hanapepe) on Kauai and Lahaina on Maui. Is Lahaina the only tender port of these ports?

I don't know about Hanapepe because we've only cruised into Nawiliwili (and flown into Lihue). Hilo and Honolulu are not tender ports.

2. At all 4 ports are you within walking distance of shops, etc. or is transportation (bus, taxi, etc) needed?

This is a really big question, even though it seems simple. You might want to start by wandering around the forum here and getting some general information. As well, there are many good guide books (including the Revealed series) and many good websites for travelers.

Quick notes: There is plenty to do within walking distance of the pier in Honolulu (but you'll need to take a taxi or The Bus if you want to go to Waikiki beach, Pearl Harbor, or anywhere else on Oahu). The Bus on Oahu is an excellent system. The Lahaina tender comes into the heart of Lahaina town, which is an ideal Hawaii wandering town. There's a $1 shuttle from Lahaina to Ka'anapali if you want to have some beach time on a long beach with many activity options. Hilo is in an industrial area, so a shuttle, taxi, or rental car are the best bet. If you've not been to Volcanoes National Park (and if it's open at the time), I cannot stress enough that this is the most wonderful day out of Hilo. You'll need to take a tour/excursion or rental car as it's a 45-50 minute drive one-way to the entrance to the park. I don't know Hanapepe at all.

3. Does anyone know how far it is from Lahaina tender dock to the Maui Ocean Center? Is it easily walkable?

No, you can't walk to it from the pier. Maui Ocean Center in Ma'alaea is more than 15 miles from Lahaina. You need to take the bus (good system), a taxi (probably $70-$80 r/t, but that fluctuates with fuel prices), take a ship excursion (not our favorite thing to do), or rent a car (but I don't know how long you're in port or if this interests you). This is an example of why it's a great idea to get maps and guide books or other "visual" aids to help you get a sense on the scope of the islands and what's available.

There are literally 100s of things to see and do, so plan on spending a fair amount of time researching and planning. On a cruise, you have limited time to take in a little taste of each stop. Don't try to cram in so much that your only memories of Hawaii are that you rushed around, but can't really remember what you saw and did. (End of beachchick's little infamous "don't kill yourself in an effort to have fun" lecture.)

Do be sure to read MichellP's excellent stickied thread about how to get the most out of the Hawaii forum. (I'm just a tad jealous and slightly chagrined that I didn't think of writing a thread like that years ago. She did an outstanding job of laying out what's what and so forth.)

Aloha and welcome to our wonderful Hawaii forum.:D

beachchick

We want to cruise on the Golden Princess to Hawaii (roundtrip from LA) in Oct 2009. We are not avid flyers, so cruising to Hawaii is the perfect choice for us. It will be our first time there. I have some questions I hope you will be able to answer:

Personally, I would also look at the 15 day itinerary of the HAL Zaandam, which also includes a port stop in Kona. Kona is also a tender port, but has a lot to offer within walking distance of the pier.

Aloha and welcome to our wonderful Hawaii forum.:D

beachchick

Personally, I would also look at the 15 day itinerary of the HAL Zaandam, which also includes a port stop in Kona. Kona is also a tender port, but has a lot to offer within walking distance of the pier.

Thank you both for the information. Greatly appreciated. Yes, I am researching, researching & more. But your information really helps.

We don't mind the sea days at all ... for us the cruise is a destination in itself and a great destresser. Flying over at this point is not an option, so this will allow us to see Hawaii (altho limited) and also have a great cruise too.

We had looked at HAL but prices were more expensive AND the ships are much smaller. We felt with cruising across the Pacific Ocean the larger ship was a better choice for us.

We did the LA round-trip on Celebrity last December and liked it so much that we've booked the HAL Zaandam cruise for next December. We love to travel and have been to Hawaii many times, but this was a different experience for us with so many sea days, and we loved it. Time to relax and read and enjoy all the activities and spend time with our family. It was just great. And we made the most of our days in Hawaii, too. We went on the holiday cruises, and the weather was excellent -- a little brisk but sunny both ways so we spent a lot of time on deck. And no flying! What could be better!

Thank you both for the information. Greatly appreciated. Yes, I am researching, researching & more. But your information really helps.

We don't mind the sea days at all ... for us the cruise is a destination in itself and a great destresser. Flying over at this point is not an option, so this will allow us to see Hawaii (altho limited) and also have a great cruise too.

We had looked at HAL but prices were more expensive AND the ships are much smaller. We felt with cruising across the Pacific Ocean the larger ship was a better choice for us.

I personally enjoy princess as well...your sea days on the Golden should make for a wonderfully relaxing vacation!

Archived