New Smoking rules for Qm2

transatlantic fan

I agree with you. I am not a smoker, however, smoke does not bother me. I am affraid that I have been witness to more rude behavior on the part of non-smokers than that of smokers. I have been at table, in a smoking section, having dinner with a table of friends and several people at the table were smokers. During our meal a man and his wife came over and began yelling at us that we were ruining the air for everyone and that we should be ashamed. Throughout our meal they continued to say loud comments and send terrible looks our way. The only person that I was ashamed of was the man and his wife as they were from my country. This was only one example of many.

I think everyone can reach a compromise. Designated smoking areas or rooms is fair for both sides. Smelling smoke can be unpleasant to many people, but smoke in such small amounts for a very limited time I do not believe would have cancerous results.

Thank you! :) How true.

I started this just to let fellow passengers who like to smoke that we would soon be unable to smoke in the pub and chart room.

Why people need to chirp in with insults I don’t know.

But to the guy who thinks you can get cancer by walking past Churchill’s with the door open YOU CANT.

But you can get it by being heavily overweight and stuffing your face like it was the last bit of food you were ever likely to have

I started this just to let fellow passengers who like to smoke that we would soon be unable to smoke in the pub and chart room.

Why people need to chirp in with insults I don’t know.

But to the guy who thinks you can get cancer by walking past Churchill’s with the door open YOU CANT.

But you can get it by being heavily overweight and stuffing your face like it was the last bit of food you were ever likely to have

Thank you for letting us know about this since those of us in the US have not yet received the 2009 brochures. And I quite agree with you on your last sentence. Maybe we should suggest that a new policy be included limiting food service to three meals only and one serving at each meal. It would surely cut down on the risk of a heart attack.:rolleyes: And think of all the money the cruise lines could save if they did away with everything but three square meals a day!

Thank you for letting us know about this since those of us in the US have not yet received the 2009 brochures. And I quite agree with you on your last sentence. Maybe we should suggest that a new policy be included limiting food service to three meals only and one serving at each meal. It would surely cut down on the risk of a heart attack.:rolleyes: And think of all the money the cruise lines could save if they did away with everything but three square meals a day!

Just trying to be of help to people that like a smoke.

We all no smoking is not good for you but it is a choice we still have.

What does make me laugh are the people that go on and on about the smell of smoke yet dont know how to use soap but we have to put up with that smell in the lifts and also at dinner in some cases.

What????? No smoking in the pub? They must change the name. The smoke gives any pub it's 'publy' ambiance. Sort of like the pool halls I sometimes frequented during my University days.

I am not a full time smoker, but like to have a Marlboro Light while drinking a Corona, and winning a pub quiz.

Everyone always talks about the downside to smoking, but what about the upsides?

1. Goes great with a drink

2. You look cool

3. Adds to any card game/gambling

4. Guarantees those non smoker 'types' wont be around you.

In all seriousness, I can understand the resentment to foul odors. But this is not limited to smoking. How about those that wear too much $2 perfume? Or those with poor hygeine? The list goes on and on. At least, society has seen fit to segregate smokers from those who do not.

I will say this, I am prepared to abide by the rules and go to the areas where smoking is permitted. Hopefully those that do not smoke will avoid these areas and we can all get along perfectly.

What????? No smoking in the pub? They must change the name. The smoke gives any pub it's 'publy' ambiance. Sort of like the pool halls I sometimes frequented during my University days.

I am not a full time smoker, but like to have a Marlboro Light while drinking a Corona, and winning a pub quiz.

Everyone always talks about the downside to smoking, but what about the upsides?

1. Goes great with a drink

2. You look cool

3. Adds to any card game/gambling

4. Guarantees those non smoker 'types' wont be around you.

In all seriousness, I can understand the resentment to foul odors. But this is not limited to smoking. How about those that wear too much $2 perfume? Or those with poor hygeine? The list goes on and on. At least, society has seen fit to segregate smokers from those who do not.

I will say this, I am prepared to abide by the rules and go to the areas where smoking is permitted. Hopefully those that do not smoke will avoid these areas and we can all get along perfectly.

You dont actually believe this or do you :eek:

F

Just trying to be of help to people that like a smoke.

We all no smoking is not good for you but it is a choice we still have.

What does make me laugh are the people that go on and on about the smell of smoke yet dont know how to use soap but we have to put up with that smell in the lifts and also at dinner in some cases.

Thats fine, but you cannot start a thread like this and not expect people to express their opinions :p

BTW , I have not insulted anyone, but im entitled to my opinion :D

Thats fine, but you cannot start a thread like this and not expect people to express their opinions :p

BTW , I have not insulted anyone, but im entitled to my opinion :D

Gavin, we know that you would never insult anyone. But it is fun to sometimes give you a bit of a hard time!:D

I am not a smoker, nor a drinker (so, a rather dull boy...:) ), but this anti-smoking hysteria reminds me a bit of the anti-alcoholic Prohibition of the 20s-30s. Just wondering, after smoking will be completely forbidden, what next?...;)

At any case, I think cruise lines could at least designate for the purpose of smoking one lounge of considerable dimensions, possibly enclosed if you wish. Something like Churchill's Cigar Room, but fairly larger, considering the number of smokers. Didn't those old ocean liners had a 'Smoking Room'?

But this seems against the 'signs of our times'...

I agree with you. I am not a smoker, however, smoke does not bother me. I am affraid that I have been witness to more rude behavior on the part of non-smokers than that of smokers. I have been at table, in a smoking section, having dinner with a table of friends and several people at the table were smokers. During our meal a man and his wife came over and began yelling at us that we were ruining the air for everyone and that we should be ashamed. Throughout our meal they continued to say loud comments and send terrible looks our way. The only person that I was ashamed of was the man and his wife as they were from my country. This was only one example of many.

I think everyone can reach a compromise. Designated smoking areas or rooms is fair for both sides. Smelling smoke can be unpleasant to many people, but smoke in such small amounts for a very limited time I do not believe would have cancerous results.

I hate to stir up more arguments, but sometimes it's more than just unpleasant and more than small amounts. And an entire meal seems like more than a very limited time.

The perfume and personal hygeine examples are not nearly as much of a problem as smoking. Smoke lingers more after the sources has left the room and it drifts much farther from the source. Smoking is a personal choice, but it is also the only personal choice that can directly affect the health of people not involved in the choice.

Yes, nonsmokers may ask to sit in the nonsmoking area, but in many places, the separation between the smoking area and nonsmoking area is a joke. I remember when there were smoking areas on planes. The smoke drifted well into the nonsmoking area, so if you were in the last nonsmoking row, you might as well have been sitting in the smoking section.

I'm very sensitive to smoke. One night, heavy smokers near me produced so much smoke that my eyes watered so badly that I had to leave the dining room before finishing my meal. (The smokers weren't there when I was seated, and I didn't know the proximity of the smoking tables until I had ordered and been served my first course.)

If the maitre d' hadn't been able to move us across the room so that we wouldn't be next to the smoking tables, I'd have had to give up the Princess Grill and eat dinner in the Lido. The smokers refused to back off at all, even when the maitre d' asked them to.

Kathy

Just like a cruise line would not allow passengers to use cocaine in public places or marijuana the impact of second hand smoke is just as damaging...

<B>DALLAS, May 24 – Compelling scientific evidence is accumulating about the substantial and rapid impact on the heart and blood vessel system from exposure to secondhand smoke, according to a literature review reported in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

“Despite the much lower dose that nonsmokers receive compared to smokers, secondhand smoke can have effects nearly as significant as active smoking,” said study author Stanton A. Glantz, Ph.D.

Roll on banning smoking full stop, so many people claim to be "considerate smokers" :p it makes you laugh

F

In order to live up to your stereotype i will make sure to blow a plume of smoke in you direction if I ever meet you

Jensy

• 9 months later...

Transatlantic fan

That's rubbish, I checked with Cunard before booking any more cruises (I cross 4 times per year) after reading your "no more smoking" post.

Cunard confirmed that smoking IS ALLOWED in the Golden Lion

Here is Cunards reply

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your email below. Smoking is permitted in the Golden Lion Pub in designated areas per the below:

Golden Lion Pub Features · Styled after a traditional English Pub

· Small Dance floor

· Capacity for 105 seated guests plus 18 bar stools

· Draft beer and a wide selection of ales and lagers

· Area is 2,960 square feet

· Excellent sea views

· Children allowed

Smoking permitted in designated smoking section.

Besides, if you have a problem with smoke in the pub, why don't you just use a different bar? It's not as though there aren't any "non-smoking" bars for you is it?

Roy

I don't smoke and I have had experience of what smoking can do (husband and best friend both had lung cancer, both smoked a lot) but people do smoke and are on their holidays, just as I will be. I don't have a problem with there being smoking areas on board. I was told people could smoke on starboard deck, so I booked a cabin on the port side.

Archived