Almost convinced to switch from cruise air....

MNfamilycruiser

We have 8 people travelling together - our reservations are linked - we are all booked together into a Family Suite on RCI.

Our cruise leaves from Port Canaveral at 4:30 - the closest airport is Orlando (MCO) - approximately 1 hour away.

We currently have the standard cruise air booked - the price is pretty close to the airfare I have been able to find if you include the price of the transfer. We booked directly through RCI not a TA.

Does the cruise line follow their own recommendations for arrival time when they arrange the air? On the RCI website the suggested latest arrival time is 12:45 pm. In order to do that - they would pretty much HAVE to book us on a nonstop flight. Flights are not allowed to leave MSP airport before 6 AM - and with the time difference and distance - only nonstops (and a very very few 1 stops could get us there in time).

Two reasons I don't want to switch from cruise air::o

1. Travelling with someone who has cruised many times - but more frequently 10+ years ago. This person insists that the cruise air is safer - because they will make sure you get to the ship if something happens. And/or get your luggage to you if something happens. I would pretty much have to prove to this person that this is not true in order to switch.

2. By booking air through the cruiseline - and using my RC Visa - we gain double points for that money spent- which could make the difference between reaching the next point level and being able to take $250 off our cruise.

So - do you think we are OK with the cruise air? Or can you give me info to show we are on our own if something happens?

We have 8 people travelling together - our reservations are linked - we are all booked together into a Family Suite on RCI.

Our cruise leaves from Port Canaveral at 4:30 - the closest airport is Orlando (MCO) - approximately 1 hour away.

We currently have the standard cruise air booked - the price is pretty close to the airfare I have been able to find if you include the price of the transfer. We booked directly through RCI not a TA.

Does the cruise line follow their own recommendations for arrival time when they arrange the air? On the RCI website the suggested latest arrival time is 12:45 pm. In order to do that - they would pretty much HAVE to book us on a nonstop flight. Flights are not allowed to leave MSP airport before 6 AM - and with the time difference and distance - only nonstops (and a very very few 1 stops could get us there in time).

Two reasons I don't want to switch from cruise air::o

1. Travelling with someone who has cruised many times - but more frequently 10+ years ago. This person insists that the cruise air is safer - because they will make sure you get to the ship if something happens. And/or get your luggage to you if something happens. I would pretty much have to prove to this person that this is not true in order to switch.

2. By booking air through the cruiseline - and using my RC Visa - we gain double points for that money spent- which could make the difference between reaching the next point level and being able to take $250 off our cruise.

So - do you think we are OK with the cruise air? Or can you give me info to show we are on our own if something happens?

RCCL is very sneaky. I cannot find a complete Contract of Carriage/Cruise Contract on their website. Only a portion here and a portion there. Wording in all cruise contracts I have ever seen states something to the effect the hotels, shore excursions, transportation (including air) is booked as a CONVENIENCE for passengers and the cruise line assumes NO responsibility for actions of third party vendors.

Here is the cruise contract for Celebrity: http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/CCI_Cruise_Ticket_contract.pdf

Please check out paragraphs 5 and 15. VERY SPECIFICALLY stated that the ship doesn't have to wait for you, the cruise line is NOT responsible for food, lodging or any expenses incurred if you miss the ship because of ANY reason and they do not have to refund any portion of your cruise fare.

Maybe someone else can provide the COMPLETE RCCL contract, but I would be very shocked if it was substantially different from the Celebrity contract.

In today's airline environment, there are no guarantees that even a nonstop arriving day of cruise will arrive on time. And no, the cruise air will be whatever tickets are available from your airport. May be the nonstop, may be two or three stops which arrive at 2:00PM. NO GUARANTEES.

And with cruise air, your tickets will be CONSOLIDATOR CLASS. What it means to you: IF there is a problem-doesn't matter what-your tickets are RESTRICTED to the originating carrier. So if you are flying on XXX airline and the flight is canceled or delayed and you miss the cruise, your tickets are only good on XXX airline. You will wait for SPACE AVAILABLE seating on airline XXX. May be a few hours or may be a few days.

Please take the time read through the first part of this thread. It will point out all the pitfalls of cruise air.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Nothing you can do about your CC if you book your own air. However, if your cruise leaves on Sunday, booking air on Saturday will generally save you money and that money can be used to pay for a hotel. Allows time for all the glitches that happen in air travel today and you arrive at your cruise rested and relaxed, NOT a stressed out, frustrated cruiser. Good luck!!!

RCCL is very sneaky. I cannot find a complete Contract of Carriage/Cruise Contract on their website. Only a portion here and a portion there. Wording in all cruise contracts I have ever seen states something to the effect the hotels, shore excursions, transportation (including air) is booked as a CONVENIENCE for passengers and the cruise line assumes NO responsibility for actions of third party vendors.

RCCL is not "very sneaky". Cruise contract at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Found by typigin in "cruise contract" in the search at their web site.

RCCL is not "very sneaky". Cruise contract at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/CTC_Not_For_BR.pdf

Found by typigin in "cruise contract" in the search at their web site.

Thank you. I did type in "cruise contract". I kept getting an index, with PORTIONS of the cruise contract.

Looks like an almost identical contract to Celebrity. Paragraph 5 and 15 are the same.

Thank you for the link to the contract - especially identifying the specific paragraphs that pertain.

Do you think there is any better chance of getting "good" flights because they really don't have many choices other than direct/nonstop to get us there on time?

The way home - I know we are taking our chances in longer non-direct flights - but that doesn't matter as much to me.

For various reasons, it won't work out for us to fly in the day ahead - that would be my preference also - but we are not the only ones involved.

Do you think there is any better chance of getting "good" flights because they really don't have many choices other than direct/nonstop to get us there on time?

There are a lot of choices. It won't be the AirTran nonstop, for sure. So that only leaves the 7AM NW nonstop if you mean "good" flight. You haven't posted your dates or I could tell pretty close how many seats are actually open on the nonstop. Airlines are NOT inclined to give the cruise line a bunch of seats on a nonstop, so don't count on it. You do realize that the cruise line is NOT booking a ticket for you NOW. They purchased cruise air tickets on contract a YEAR before your departure dates. They already have the tickets. You get what they have already purchased.

Continental, Delta, United and AA all fly to MCO with a stop and with arrival times between noon and 2PM. So long as the plane is SCHEDULED to arrive by 2:00PM, the cruise line has met it's commitment. You do realize that you may not all get on the same plane. It IS a possibility.

For various reasons, it won't work out for us to fly in the day ahead - that would be my preference also - but we are not the only ones involved.

So book your own air, fly a day early and if the rest of them want to take the chance, let them. I know it sounds cruel, but you don't know how many people try to do this "group" thing and something goes bottom up. Then EVERYONE looses out. I do hope you have all purchased travel insurance, preferably independent of the cruise line.

We depart Sunday November 16th and return Nov 23

The ship LEAVES the port at 4:30PM. The port is an hour from the airport.

On their website - RCI recommends that the latest flight arrival time to the airport is 12:45. If they follow their own recommendation - I am thinking they would really almost have to use a direct flight to get us there by that time.

I would book a flight leaving at 7AM or 8AM at the latest. Probably Sun Country or NW - maybe the AirTran.

I know, I know - I should really just give up the extra credits and book our own flight :o !

It is just hard to give up that $150 - when I think there is the possiblity that our cruise air would be close to what I would book. BUT - I have also experienced poor cruise air arrangements and the stress of rushing on the ship at the last minute!!

I just always feel better arriving the day before and purchasing insurance "just in case". There are just so many things that can go wrong flying in the same day. If RCL can book you the day before, stay with them and enjoy a precruise stay.

It is just hard to give up that $150 - when I think there is the possiblity that our cruise air would be close to what I would book. BUT - I have also experienced poor cruise air arrangements and the stress of rushing on the ship at the last minute!!

Have the others read the first sticky in this forum about cruise air -it give a great explanation of how it works and why some people will get good flights and others will not.

The cruiseline is not responsible for getting you there on time. And yes, they can sometimes be helpful when you don't make it and have to get to the next port but not everyone has found them to always be helpful. No matter how you book your air, if something goes wrong plan on having to get to the next port yourselves.

There's no way in today's air travel that I would even consider flying in the same day any longer. One day early is the least I will do, and now I'm even trying for two days if at all possible. Booking my own flights at least gives me some control. Many people still fly in the same day as their cruise and make it there perfectly ok but I'm not willing to take that chance.

I think you already answered your own question about having experienced some poor cruiseair arrangements in the past. Do what you think is best.

Just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who talked me out of the cruise air!:D

Everyone was actually happy to switch - we booked airfare for the day ahead - found a shuttle service to get us from MCO to Port Canaveral, and were able to pay for the night at the hotel with the savings.

And I didn't even fool around waiting to see if prices would drop closer to the sailing date. There are very few direct flights, and I wanted us all to be on the same one. Plus this way - everyone knows what they owe - and can start working on paying me ;)

Just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone who talked me out of the cruise air!:D

Everyone was actually happy to switch - we booked airfare for the day ahead - found a shuttle service to get us from MCO to Port Canaveral, and were able to pay for the night at the hotel with the savings.

And I didn't even fool around waiting to see if prices would drop closer to the sailing date. There are very few direct flights, and I wanted us all to be on the same one. Plus this way - everyone knows what they owe - and can start working on paying me ;)

Hi MNfamilycruiser,

A few people have mentioned getting travel insurance, so, if you haven't read read this article on cruise critic about travel insurance, it's a good place to start: http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseplanning/articles.cfm?ID=274

... Please take the time read through the first part of this thread. It will point out all the pitfalls of cruise air.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Hi greatam,

I read your postings on that thread & they are very, very good. Since I don't believe in plagarism, can I use some of that material on a blog post somewhere else (not here on CC)? I prefer to give you credit, or if you don't want to be publically identified, I can attribute its authorship to "name withheld" or something similar.

Hi greatam,

I read your postings on that thread & they are very, very good. Since I don't believe in plagarism, can I use some of that material on a blog post somewhere else (not here on CC)? I prefer to give you credit, or if you don't want to be publically identified, I can attribute its authorship to "name withheld" or something similar.

Please feel free to use the information. Since I own a global logistics company and have contacts in a lot of places worldwide, I would prefer that you do not use my full name-Gina (last name withheld) would be satisfactory. My customers may not appreciate me giving expertise away for free, since they all get charged. Thanks for asking.

Archived