How Important Are Facilities to "Know Where You Go"?

Iamboatman

I just read a short article by Terry Breen, the wonderful naturalist that educates and entertains many during Regent cruises. She raised a very interesting point (I thought) about all the discussions concerning the new ship being contemplated: Is there any real interest in facilities designed to assist in learning about where the ship is going, such as accurate references or purpose-built facilities?

Asked another way, do you like to delve into where you are going or do you prefer the information to be passively given to you...or does it not really matter at all?

What could those facilities be? I could imagine a place in the computer room that had videos of upcoming ports for people to watch. I could imagine the library stocking reference material of interest (although that might increase the storage requirements for books substantially.) Good materials available at the travel desk.

The main deal would be lectures and enriched tours, I would think.

I was thinking along your lines, Wendy.

I would like to see short videos, interactive maps of the ports, a good reference library (with various depths of knowledge and levels of reading, including just great picture books).

It would be nice if it was something other than what some might call a library, but rather a place where discussions might be had (with limited numbers of people).

This might be hard to make friendly to all on a ship of 7,000 to 1,200, but many luxury travelers like to learn and this would certainly give them that ability...in some style.

I think that this is a great idea. Perhaps offering the information in a variety of formats, too. Given that we are talking about a new ship, the options are wide open. Maybe an "adventurer's lounge" setting (think comfortable seats, A/V equipment, away from sound distractions, nice lecture hall) where passengers could listen to an indepth muli-media presentation from an expert lecturer and additionally an interactive television system available in the cabins (and perhaps throughout the ship) for those that do not wish to attend the live lecture (although this could be videotaped for replay on the interactive system at any time after the original presentation). Since we are letting our imaginations run free and this is for a new build...why not a computer based system within the cabins where the monitor also functions as the television? A keyboard would allow passengers to submit questions to the destination lecturer in advance and they could be answered both in the live lecture, but also online (somewhat like Cruise Critic) at any time convenient to the cruiser.

I hope I'm not being too cynical when I say that I believe from the cruise lines pov port lectures are not about informing, they are about selling excursions. I would love to see more comprehensive information on ports of call and I agree with what has been said above.

This is a bit tangential, but I think that such a program could include more access to the cultures of the countries in the form of performances--musical groups, dance troupes, that sort of thing. I know this is hard, with the ships going all over the world. In the past some of this kind of thing has been covered by "Spotlight" cruises--we did a really spiff one on classical music in the Black Sea, and Diamond had great lecturers, and the excursions were coordinated, each and every one had some kind of musical component.

The technology for in cabin interactive port information actually exists and is pretty cool. I saw it two years ago at a conference, but it was notably not as present at this year's conference.

One thing about luxury versus mass market travel is that the passengers have different perspectives, generally. Luxury travel is more focused on experiences and knowledge, so having a more informed passenger would probably result in higher sales of excursions...and more passengers generally because of such a facility.

Agree, Eric. We generally travel with the same other couple and the trips are always about the experience...learning about the cultures, different foods, exploring the area with hikes and biking, etc. There is very little interest among us in shopping or doing anything that can be done at home other than relaxing by a pool. At the risk of offending anyone, we completely avoid any excursion that starts out, "Step aboard the dockside motor coach..." For us, luxury travel is about expanding the mind, understanding different perspectives, and coming home with lifelong memories of the adventure...not standing in another line for the tenth "feeding" of the day, signing tabs for each and every item, or winning the sexiest legs contest. I think that cruise ships in general lag behind when it comes to technology and future cruisers are going to demand more options in this area.

I have tried Regent's tours and have had some of my worst experiences because they are couched in terms that luxury travelers want, but deliver what mass market passengers expect. To be fair, though, it is hard for a line with 700+ passengers to have a "stock" custom tour...they should just identify it for what it is. And purpose-built facilities would be a great way to start the ball rolling toward luxury excursions.

Some lines, like Celebrity, are now offering private excursions, so you can have a private car and guide. It is expensive...usually much more than can be done independently...but it gives those new to travel a better taste of what is really out there with the security of knowing the line is responsible if there is a problem. Seabourn offers these services as well.

One facility that comes to mind is the Diamond Head Auditorium on NCL Pride of America. It's a purpose-built 250 seat multilevel state of the art lecture hall. I don't recall what it was used for on that ship , but it sure looked nice to hold a lecture there.

Here's the link:

http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipDetailsPublicAreasPhotos.do?shipId=181

Looks like it was designed for onboard conferences. Neat concept.

I was thinking a bit more upscale with comfortable chairs, coffee tables and coffee with various work stations for use while not chatting, but larger video screens for talks.

You know one of the best trips I have taken was a science field trip to the Big Island of Hawaii with a group of 12-13 year olds:eek: We had a full time guide and naturalist along with us and he would just inform as we went along. He was not lecturing, just teaching in a hands on kind of way. Obviously, we can't all have our own guides, but I think a ship should have docents on deck during times when people are on decks viewing the islands(arrivals and departures etc.) Lectures in a classroom just are not what I go on vacations for. Out on deck you are surrounded by the beauty and smells etc. Docents are nice because you can choose to listen to what they are saying our just walk by, and you can definetly ask questions in a more intimate setting.

As Drifting says, each person has their own idea of what kind of information they want and how they want it served and when.

The PG and Mariner have a family program, Ambassadors of the Environment, and of course there are some guest lecturers like Terry Breen (the inspiration for this thread). All of them are approachable and so they fit that bill fairly nicely. The AOE program in PG was simply outstanding and having the two marine biologists and the anthropologist around the ship were huge in increasing my enjoyment.

I am sure, however, that having a facility where those that really want info can go and obtain it would be, as Terry said in her article, a big plus...for those that want it.

In reading the board on Crystal, there seem to be more lectures and general educational efforts geared to the area of sailing. Our Alaskan cruise had the wonderful and informative Terry giving some lectures and that added greatly to our enjoyment.

Our Med cruise seemed to have nothing at all or else I missed it. I'm hoping our upcoming Baltic trip has specific lectures and information.

This is an area where we would be most welcoming. To my taste, a little less emphasis on art auctions and a whole lot more on area information please ( if you had to have one over the other.)

Basedow

Archived