Canadian Traveller - Insurance

Once again fellow Canadian cruisers, I am looking for some advice. I have decided to book our next cruise on line. I am wondering what to do about travel and health insurance. Can I book it directly with RC:confused:

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Happy cruising;)

I've always booked my travel with RBC Insurance through my travel agent, though i'm sure that there are others available, such as Blue Cross.

There are a couple of different plans available dependant on what your needs are.

Bon voyage!

Hey there, fellow Canadian

I booked through AIG travel insurance. It automatically came up during my purchase from Cruisedeals.com.

Apparently they are cheaper than RBC, which I've always bought from them. So this is my first time, but you might want to check them out. Their insurance is called TravelGuard. They have a Canadian subsite if you get onto their American site.

Good luck!

Although I don't always take out the insurance, I did for our next cruise to the Med. I just booked it through an on-line US TA and imagine that RC has the same options. You don't have to book your insurance at the time of booking like you do at home and can leave the payment until the date of your final payment. That's how we did it. Then if anything comes up prior to final payment date and you have to cancel, you won't be out the cost of the insurance premium. :)

2P.P1

I've always booked my travel with RBC Insurance through my travel agent, though i'm sure that there are others available, such as Blue Cross.

There are a couple of different plans available dependant on what your needs are.

Bon voyage!

I also use Royal Bank of Canada insurance. They can cover you for everything. Medical and travel. The package I got last year about this time was less to get if I got covered for the whole year so I am still covered! I think I paid about $150-170 to be covered medically and cancellation wise, lost luggage, etc etc, for a whole year with them.

If you are over 65 you have to answer questions over the phone to qualify. Out of like 15 questions my mom answered yes to being on cholesterol meds. and it cost her a bit more money than me because of it.

Just be careful with the year round travel insurance. I was told I could renew it if I wanted when I got it. I got a letter in the mail telling me it ran out in the middle of May. I had lost my policy # so I called to find it out so I could use it on my upcoming cruise. The lady on the phone said they renew it AUTOMATICALLY so you are always covered. The letter AND the bank did not say this to me so I would have been ticked off if I found out they took that money from my bank account w/o asking.

Once again fellow Canadian cruisers, I am looking for some advice. I have decided to book our next cruise on line. I am wondering what to do about travel and health insurance. Can I book it directly with RC:confused:

Happy cruising;)

Get a DEsjardins Visa Odyssey card for 90$ you will get complete insurance for all voyages including cancellation/baggage /health for all family members

Great deal

I've sold everyone on it .Now all my family members and friends got it too Great little safety net

Michele

Happy cruising;)

Hi Fellow Canadian

First figure out what you actually need. If you reside in Canada and have Group Health and Dental coverage, read over the terms and determine whether you need any additional coverage. Most Group plans in Canada have Out of Province/Out of Country - Travel Assist which will cover you in the event of sickness, accident or dental accident. Some plans also include trip cancellation/interruption and baggage protection. If you have Group coverage, read your booklet to determine what you are covered for. If you have coverage it is wise to photocopy the pages in your booklet that pertain to travel and take them with you. When we return home we put the pages and our travel cards with our passports, ready for the next trip.

Be careful when comparing that you do not just look at the difference in price, Coverages vary greatly. Some plans will only cover you for a specified dollar amount and not necessarily the full cost of your trip, in the event that you need to cancel your trip. You do not need to buy the trip insurance until you make final payment, usually within 48 hours. However, if you are booking flights for the trip, you will need to inquire as to whether you need to purchase coverage for the flights within 48 hours of purchase, which could be long before your final cruise payment if you book your air independently. We use CAA, underwritten by Manulife financial and includes Trip Cancellation, Interruption and loss of baggage, we are covered under a Group Life and Health Plan. Make sure that you insure for the cost of your trip to avoid any unfortunate surprises in the event that you must cancel your trip.

Good luck.

Dee

I should add that when I used to use a TA, she recommended the Deluxe insurance from RBC saying it was the best possible coverage for most people. That said, I wouldn't suggest it to you on that information alone. When getting our passports last year, there were a bunch of us talking about where we were going/what our jobs were. One lady there was also a TA and said RBC is the best insurance and what she uses and insists her children use when travelling.

It was a nice assurance for us since we've never used anything other than RBC, but you never really know how one company stacks up against the rest. It was just comforting to know ours was good.

Archived