port or starboard for Panama Canal cabin??

patti627

Both sides are great - but there are parallel locks, and until the ship arrives, it is unknown which side they will enter.

If you are like so many of us, you will cross from side to side as you go through the locks, to maximize the experience.

Beware the hot Equatorial Sun, very easy to get burned quickly.

Like the others have said, it doesn't really matter because you never know beforehand which "lane" the ship will go in. Having been on another Panama Canal cruise, 6 years ago, the only suggestion I would make is to watch at least part of the transit from the large covered public balconies at the very end of the ship. Another one is to be sure to go to one of the lowest decks to be able to see when the ship drops well below the level where the "mules" run. You will see the canal walls and even the lock gates going by less than 2 ft away - quite exciting! If you stay on the upper decks only, it will be like experiencing Disneyland from 12 floors up!

Don't worry about your cabin....you want to go to the bow of the ship (Island/Coral?). I forget which deck it's on, but there is a door that goes outside on the bow. It has the very best view. You can see all the workings of the locks and the mules. Most interesting.

Have done this cruise twice (from east to west) and had a starboard cabin. We found our balconey to be the best place to watch everything - didn't have to get dressed; didn't have to worry about people pushing to get a better view. Can't beat having the ultimate balconey breakfast while going through the locks.

Don't worry about your cabin....you want to go to the bow of the ship (Island/Coral?). I forget which deck it's on, but there is a door that goes outside on the bow. It has the very best view. You can see all the workings of the locks and the mules. Most interesting.

Hi Patti - Hope you and Stan are doing well! I have to agree with YoPhilly's response. I believe that on the Caribe deck you can walk all the way to the front of the ship and there is a door that you can go out to the bow. It is the best view!! This is where Kevin and I went when we were on the Coral. Just make sure you get there early.

Joanne

Also the Island/Coral have a large aft balcony the entire width of the ship that's also a great view. You can alternate your viewing between the bow and the aft of the ship to get different perspectives. The canal is a great cruise!

Hi Patti - Hope you and Stan are doing well! I have to agree with YoPhilly's response. I believe that on the Caribe deck you can walk all the way to the front of the ship and there is a door that you can go out to the bow. It is the best view!! This is where Kevin and I went when we were on the Coral. Just make sure you get there early.

Joanne

Hey, Joanne! So good to hear from you. Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice! I just booked the Island Princess for the 14th of March, getting the same cabin I had on the Emerald. Where are you going next? Hi to Kevin!!

Patti

Hey, Joanne! So good to hear from you. Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice! I just booked the Island Princess for the 14th of March, getting the same cabin I had on the Emerald. Where are you going next? Hi to Kevin!!

Patti

Hi Patti - glad to hear that you guys are going to do the Panama on 3/14. Are you going with Fred and Lourdes and Tom and Sue? You guys should have a great time! You had a great cabin on the Emerald, so it should be just as good on the Island. Wish we could go along. However, the timing in March doesn't work out for us next year since we must be home for 3/23. We have decided to go on the 14 day Caribbean leaving on 2/27 and returning 3/13. We booked it yesterday. However our next cruise is in September where we are headed to the mediterranean. I am really looking forward to that. Hope to talk to you soon.

Joanne

Archived