RADIANCE - D1 AFT DECK 8 & 9

There are 10 D1 cabins on these decks that I can choose from and would appreciate some help. 9256 appears to be the largest and wraps slightly around for a better view to the side. Is this the same for 8168? The 2 center cabins on each deck 8172, 8672, 9260 and 9660 appear to be deeper. Are they overall the same in size or are the corner ones larger? If choosing one of the center cabins are deck 9 balconies larger than deck 8? Is one deck more private?

Also I know that the nearest elevators are those midship, however is there a stairway for passengers to use halfway down the hall (right next to the M & L inside cabins)? And is that hallway open to get to the opposite side of the ship to those inside cabins? Thank you.

We were on the Serenade in September (sister ship) in Cabin 1104, an aft balcony. Our balcony measured 10'x13' with my husbands 12" shoes (LOL). If you want to see some pictures of our D1 cabin and balcony, click on the following link and the cabin/balcony pictures are on page 2 and 3 of "Serenade of the Seas" album.

http://community.webshots.com/user/redbandana

The ship diagram shows a stairwell on the back 1/3 of the ship but it is only for crew and the doors to it are usually closed. It is quite a jaunt from the aft to mid ship for stairway and elevators but it is still worth the walk in my opinion for having an aft balcony.

One suggestion I would have, though, is to take a squeege with a handle on it to keep your glass nice and clear as you will surely go through some rain at some point and it really yuks up your view when you are sitting down (LOL)

Cujosmom,

Checked out your great photos. We have cabin 1604 D1 aft booked for the April 23 sailing on Jewel of the Seas. Was great to see the baLcony and the cabin. Love the view of the wake. Had a D1 aft on Mariner and there were some obstructions so looking forward to experiencing a Radiance class ship aft balcony.

Roe2ship,

I would go with Deck 9 and indeed the center cabins 9260 and 9660 appear to be deeper. No personal experience but only going from the deck plans.

Emmy :)

Cujo, I agree, I could not care less about the walk since we love aft cabins too. I can only stick with Deck 8 or 9. Let me explain my concern - I need to book 2 cabins (one D1 aft) and the other an M or L inside for the children. So I want to be certain that if I choose lets say the 9256, do I have to walk all the way midship to get to their cabin.......as it appears that the front entry door to the inside cabins are on the starboard side. Are their open hallways in front of the aft cabins or in the back 1/3 of the ship.... to get across there to the other side. Does that make sense?

Emmy, thanks for your opinion.

As I recall there is a short hallway in front of all aft cabins that connects to the long hallways going back to Centrum. Also as I recall the door to crew's back stairwell was only open occasionally -- it was metal stairs.

(We were in 8168 on Brilliance 2 yr ago.)

Check out floorplans on travelocity -- they're easier to read than on RCCL.

Like Kay said, there is a hallway in front of the aft cabins (otherwise, how would the people get in their cabins haha). But since I was on deck 10 and there were no inside cabins (except at the very front), I can't answer your question regarding what side of the ship the doors open. Maybe someone else will know that answer to your question. But regarding the crew stairway, most of the time the doors to it were closed but I don't know if they were "locked".:confused:

Do you have Cabin 9256 booked or on hold yet? If not, I'd grab it quick. I'd originally booked 9256 for our Alaska cruise and then switched to Celebrity's Mercury the next week. Two weeks later when I went back to the Serenade, it was already gone and that was 10 months in advance of the sailing.

Yeah, 9256 goes fast. I booked last feb for my 1/05 PC cruise on the brilliance. I wanted 9256, but already gone. I'm on a wait list for it, but doubtful. I was able to get and booked 8170, so I'm happy. But, haven't seen an aft open up on our cruise since last feb & that was 11 months in advance!

Yes I know but....I am planning 18 months away and right now it is available but I can't make up my mind whether to choose this one or the cabins in center aft that I mentioned in my original post. Somebody help.....please

Cujo, I thought of re-phrasing the question...it may help to get my answer. You were in 1104 so were you able to walk down the port or starboard hallway from the centrum to get to your cabin? Were you able to walk right across to the Grand Suite in the corner there? Thank you.

FYI You cannot see around to the side of the ship in the corner afts. I stayed in 9256 on the Brillance and 1604 also on the Brillance. 9256 will be the first to go, grab it. I liked it alot better then being on the 10th deck, it was very quite. You can walk all the way from the aft of the ship to the front of the ship without any obstructions. I don't know if thats what you want to know. :confused: The balcony is wider the 1604 but 1604 was alot deeper. Overall 9256 is the largest balcony just behind jr suite 1100 right above.

We've booked 9260 on the Radiance and it appears you can get to it from the Port side, but not Starboard. Is that correct? We have friends on the Starboard side and were curious also if both corridors reach the aft rooms. The floor plan in the brochure looks like the suite is the only room on Starboard that has access to that corridor.

Roe - From the Centrum to our cabin, 1104, we could have gone down the corridors on either the port side or starboard side of the ship. You could access the Grand Suite 9656 from either corridor, too. I hope that clarifies things more for you.

Second everyone regarding access to those aft cabins...the hallway to those cabins intersects on both sides so you may go up either hallway to access the elevators,centrum, etc. We have stayed in 1100 twice on Brilliance.

As far as which side those inside cabins open to...ummmmm....I am having trouble recalling, but my gut is saying the doors opened to the starboard side.

The doors to those inside cabins open to the starboard side on deck 7, 8 and 9.

You can tell because the numbers are the odd numbers cabins between those even numbers cabins on that side of the ship.

Also there is no hallway to cut through from port side to the starboard side for passengers on those decks where those inside cabins are. Like someone said though where those stairways are for the crew, they can go through from one side of the ship to the other but not for passenger use.

There is a hallway though that runs infront of those aft cabins facing the wake allowing you to enter your aft cabin from the starboard or port hall way.

Hope this helps.

Jimbo:)

Well thank you so much to all. So if I take 9256 and an inside 9623, this will mean that coming out of 9256 an open hallway which would intersect back there to the starboard side (as if I was walking towards the family suite) walk the starboard hallway to get to 9623.........please say this is correct?:rolleyes:

Glad you were able to get the pictures. I agree with what everyone has been saying about getting from the aft cabin to the insides. And unless there is some sort of physical problem, it really isn't that long a walk! And it is true that you can't see down the side of the ship on the 9256 balcony, however, there is a little corner that gives you a little more of the view of what's coming up on the starboard side than the center aft cabins would. It is an odd shaped balcony, but I rather liked it like that! Good luck in your decision.:D

As a former passenger in 9660 and a visitor to 9256, I much preferred our cabin to the corner. First, unless you lean out over the railing, it's very difficult to see forward from 9256 and you can't look all the way starboard because the back of the ship curves out. The 9256 balcony is pie-shaped -- narrow at the side and deeper at the wall separating the balconies. On the other hand, 9660 was very deep (deep enough to have two regular chairs facing aft near the sliding door with two chaise lounges facing aft in front of them and still have room to move between them) and it's more private. Except for the 2-3 feet right by the rail, no one from above can see onto the balcony, whereas the balcony on 9256 is almost completely open. That's great for sunbathing but not great if the weather isn't so good. We were able to sunbathe in relative privacy (there's no way to prevent someone from peeking around from the balconies on either side) every day for 3-4 hours before overhang blocked the sun. In sum, I would choose one of the center afts on decks 9 or 8 rather than any on 10 or the corners.

As far as getting to the inside cabin, the hallway forms a block U, with the starboard and port side hallways connecting to the hallway that runs in front of the aft cabins. You can walk down either side to get to your cabin.

As a former passenger in 9660 and a visitor to 9256, I much preferred our cabin to the corner. First, unless you lean out over the railing, it's very difficult to see forward from 9256 and you can't look all the way starboard because the back of the ship curves out. The 9256 balcony is pie-shaped -- narrow at the side and deeper at the wall separating the balconies. On the other hand, 9660 was very deep (deep enough to have two regular chairs facing aft near the sliding door with two chaise lounges facing aft in front of them and still have room to move between them) and it's more private. Except for the 2-3 feet right by the rail, no one from above can see onto the balcony, whereas the balcony on 9256 is almost completely open. That's great for sunbathing but not great if the weather isn't so good. We were able to sunbathe in relative privacy (there's no way to prevent someone from peeking around from the balconies on either side) every day for 3-4 hours before overhang blocked the sun. In sum, I would choose one of the center afts on decks 9 or 8 rather than any on 10 or the corners.

Thanks for your input. My goodness, I thought I had made up my mind on the selection, now back to square one again. I know that 9256 is pie-shaped (not crazy about that) although it is nice to be at the very far corner with one neighbor. What do you mean it is difficult to see forward and that it is completely open?

How can 9660 be more private then 9256 when you have 2 neighbors in cabin 9660 and only 1 neighbor near you in cabin 9256.

No one can see you on any of the balconies on the aft from above inless you are standing against the railing of those balconies.

When you look down to the balonies below cabin 9256 all you see is the balcony railing of deck 8, same as deck 10 sees when it looks down on cabin 9256 balcony.

There also is a partial covering as soon as you walk out of the sliding glass doors of 9256's balcony, it is by no means completely open.

I stayed in that cabin for 7 days this past November on Radiance and it has a better view then 9660 which can only see 180 degreees from left to right.

Cabin 9256's view is just about 270 degrees when you stand at the corner and look toward the port side of the ship forward.

Jimbo:) JMHO

Archived