stewardess`s

dalliowner

We are really looking forward to our next cruise on the Spirit in June, but we realise now , after reading many posts that we must have been very unlucky with our stewardess on our last cruise Hk- Cairns. she was not very good at all.

We are really looking forward to our next cruise on the Spirit in June, but we realise now , after reading many posts that we must have been very unlucky with our stewardess on our last cruise Hk- Cairns. she was not very good at all.

They do vary as many are just seeing the world. We`ve had a couple of poor ones but generally of a high standard. :)

Even though it may seem awkward, if you have a problem you need to speak to the head of housekeeping (or even quietly to the purser's desk). Not only should you get the service you expect and are entitled to, the housekeeper needs (and most probably wants) to do her job better. If you do not want her to know you complained, just ask that it be kept confidential and it will be.

Sometimes a 15 minute "refresher" by her boss can make all the difference...for you, for the other suites she services and for her own job satisfaction and security.

Nothing is perfect, but when there is a problem Seabourn want to find a solution immediately and that sort of thing is easily resolved.

I am sure you are correct.

On our first Seabourn cruise the stewardess did not introduce herself for four days. On the third night we left our cabin at 6.30 pm ( it only seem to be made up later in the evening) when we got back at midnight the bed was still unmade . Upon calling the desk someone came down and madeup the cabin, we were told the next day she had forgotton us. Three days later when we called back to our cabin at approx 9.45 pm the cabin door had been left wide open after makeup.

We certainly never saw towels made into animals or anything else.

I must say though it did not stop us loving our first Seabourn cruise or stopping us putting an open deposit on our next ,which starts on June 7.

waiting not very patiently

That is, well and truly, shocking. It sounds like there was a serious personal issue and, I am very confident, it would have been resolved instantly. Your patience and acceptance is truly a virtue...but a properly kept suite you were owed!

I agree with Boatman.

Mrs. Jack and I have experienced only one cabin steward (not Seabourn) who we thought was truely marginal.

A quick chat with the Head Housekeeper resolved the matter immediately. In fact, the Head Housekeeper became our steward.

In any business, I think you're doing the company a favor by calling attention (very politely and discreetly) to sub standard service.:) Jack

We only had a bad cabin stewardess one time. I left her a note, that in all of our many wonderful cruises, that she was the first disapointment. I told her that I felt it demeaning to me to have to write her the note. We had excellent service after that. I felt that addressing her first, before going to her boss was only fair. Lola

>"I felt that addressing her first, before going to her boss was only fair."

I agree with Lola; there is a chain of command, and it seems prudent to speak with the stewardess first. Sometimes, the stewardesses have suites in several locations, and it can get confusing, epsecially if they have extra work due to a colleagues indisposition.

I am not excusing the poor service, and usually, it's easily remedied.

There are different approaches, to be sure. However, it is a very "American" approach to confront the stewardess and very "European" not to.

Personally, if it was a minor issue or two I would first kindly speak to the stewardess, but if my suite was consistently not attended to I wouldn't bother with that step. That is not a slight error and clearly a larger issue looms.

Also, keep in mind that from the stewardess' (or other staff's) perspective a fact-to-face with a guest can be far more upsetting and unnerving than a discussion with her superior.

We encountered several problems with our cabin on the Legend last month. One of the reading lights wasn't functioning. We told the stewardess about it on 3 occasions and it never was fixed. The young lady did a good job overall, but it wasn't as good as we have encountered on other lines, including the old Commodore line. We think that the problem was because she was assigned suites on different decks. I hasten to add that it did not detract from our cruise. This was the first of hopefully many cruises on Seabourn.

>" One of the reading lights wasn't functioning. We told the stewardess about it on 3 occasions and it never was fixed."

That kind of situation should have been reported to the HM right away. I always get a form that asks for any problems to be noted right away.

On the Pride after drydock, one of the reading lights didn't work. The electrician was there daily except on the rocky day when it was too risky to be on a ladder. It was not fixed, but a large floor lamp was provided as a substitute (which was really better).

On our last cruise, we had handymen knocking on the door a few times telling us he was there to fix a broken or faulty "somethingorothers".......we hadnt even realised they WERE broken or faulty!! :o And as you can see by my onboard photos, we got lots of towell animals and lots of flowers, even a beautiful arrangement brought to us by the Housekeeper! Got lots of love notes and bubble baths......what the hell am I doing home???? :p

My wife and I just returned after spending 22 days on the Pride, Shanghai to Singapore. This was our 4th Seabourn adventure. The service we received from the staff, housekeeping through the captain was the best of any cruise we had previously taken. It was absolutely outstanding. I look forward to our next adventure on the Odyssey.

"Sunshine enters your suite each day in the form of of your personal suite stewardess."...................a quote from the Seabourn brochure.

I am under the impression these fine young ladies and gentlemen are recruited from the best resorts and hotels in the world...........professionals if you will, who are educated in the Seabourn philosophy.

Anyone can experience an "off day", become ill or unavailable or just become "burned out". In the later I expect Seabourn to recognize these symptoms and take corrective action.

We're not demanding travelers but we do expect professional service.

After all, it is our vacation and I expect sunshine in my suite on a consistent basis.:) Jack

I think the most dissapointing thing was that she did not come and introduce hereslf on the first day,every other cruise we have been on that has happened. Mistakes happen everywhere but if you have introduced yourself it is easier to say sorry. I think this must have been her first appointment and perhaps she had joined the ship at the same time as us but she should have been trained better or supervised in here intial week.

Anyway as I said, it did not stop us from really enjoying ourselves and booking another Seaboun trip before we left the ship.Reading the various reports on this site has made us realise that we were just unlucky and I am sure our next cabin stewerdess will be up to Seabourn`s usual standard.

>"...she did not come and introduce herself on the first day"

Does that mean you didn't get the champagne, petite canapes and the choice of soaps? (One of my favorite parts of the first day.) I always pick the lemon-scented soap, and use it in my suitcase as sachet and then when I get home and unpacked it's used in the bath.

>"...she did not come and introduce herself on the first day"

Does that mean you didn't get the champagne, petite canapes and the choice of soaps? (One of my favorite parts of the first day.) I always pick the lemon-scented soap, and use it in my suitcase as sachet and then when I get home and unpacked it's used in the bath.

right. How did they get their bits and pieces :confused:

"Sunshine enters your suite each day in the form of of your personal suite stewardess."...................a quote from the Seabourn brochure.

I am under the impression these fine young ladies and gentlemen are recruited from the best resorts and hotels in the world...........professionals if you will, who are educated in the Seabourn philosophy.

Anyone can experience an "off day", become ill or unavailable or just become "burned out". In the later I expect Seabourn to recognize these symptoms and take corrective action.

We're not demanding travelers but we do expect professional service.

After all, it is our vacation and I expect sunshine in my suite on a consistent basis.:) Jack

I can`t believe all these young ladies are recruited from the best resorts and hotels. Most are too young and are Seabourn travelling ;)

Almost no one on Seabourn comes from the "finest hotels and resorts" although many do end up in such places, in part because of their Seabourn experience and training. Working on a cruise ship is rarely a career goal; more often, a stepping stone to something else. Or simply a job.

Wherever SB gets them from, I find their stewardesses much more polished than stewards/stewardesses on other cruise lines.As for the stewardess not introducing herself the first day, that is not acceptable and probably against SB "welcome" policy. I find the routine a bit corny ("Easter egg" basket filled with soap), but it nevertheless provides an opportunity to put the customer-employee relationship on a more personal level - and it gives a nice first-day impression.Once we've been introduced I feel like I can address any future shortcoming directly with the stewardess rather than involving her management team. I would be hesitant to do that if I'd never met her.johnny

Oh I love the "corny" basket with soaps.....I always pick the Hermes one in the green plastic container......was going to ask for a new one a few days before I left the ship, but decided they would know I was being greedy and just wanted to take it home!! Now I know that Jane takes hers home....I will next time too! :D

I had the best waiter on a cruise ship I have EVER had anywhere including New York, L.A., Athens, Dublin, etc.,etc.

His name was Micheal and was Suisse (on the old Song of Norway) about 25 years ago.

He worked four tables and at the end of the cruise all the tables wanted to petition for him to become dining room head. He refused and stated this was his "lifes calling". Just a wonderful young man and the best waiter I've ever had at any table anywhere. (See, I'm repeating myself again, aren't I?)

I just feel if you're paying top dollar you should be introduced, your room clean and at least a smile.:) :) :) Jack

PS In regard to the staff traveling Seabourn...........when I was young (ahem), I equate that to taking a position in the EOR because I liked to watch the monitors.

Archived