Correct Terminology

custompcsys

I've read many a post here where people talk about their rooms, ask for help selecting a room, etc, etc, and have always answered where my experience allowed. However, I always thought that if a sleeping accommodation was on a ship it was referred to as a cabin or stateroom, not a room like in a land-based hotel. Before you all flame me I'm not trying to correct or pick on anyone, I'm just trying to learn something I've been curious about in reading the boards :)

Which is the proper reference...room, stateroom, or cabin? Thanks! :)

:confused: I would say proper terminology these day's would likely be, stateroom. Cabin was very much a last era word, likely describing the "small feel," to it. Room would deffinately be a very broad word, really not discriptive enough to know that the user is out to sea. Whereas "Stateroom," is obvious and very much an updated, to the point word. Just IMHO. ;)

With the number of new passengers sailing each year I hear "room" being used more and more in reference to the cabins.

IMHO cabin or stateroom would equally describe, in nautically correct terms, the acommodations on board a ship. If we are in an inside I'm more likely to use "cabin" while balconies or higher are "staterooms".

The one word that grates my nerves is referring to the ship as a "boat".

Charlie

The Princess website uses the term "Stateroom"
However in their brochures, specifically Caribbean and Mexican Riviera 2008, stateroom and cabin are both used.

When someone uses incorrect terminology when asking a question, I try to overlook it in the interest of assisting a fellow cruiser. It's the incorrect spelling and funky grammar that really gets to me.

Lew

Is there a specific state that produces "Staterooms"?

A state room in a large European mansion, is usually one of a suite of very grand rooms which were designed to impress. The term was most widely used in the 17th and 18th centuries. They were the most lavishly decorated in the house and contained the finest works of art. State rooms are usually only found in the houses of the upper echelons of the aristocracy, those who were likely to entertain a head of state.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_room

Noun 1. stateroom - a guest cabin

cabin - small room on a ship or boat where people sleep

from

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stateroom

However in their brochures, specifically Caribbean and Mexican Riviera 2008, stateroom and cabin are both used.

When someone uses incorrect terminology when asking a question, I try to overlook it in the interest of assisting a fellow cruiser. It's the incorrect spelling and funky grammar that really gets to me.

Lew

Like you, I can't think of any circumstance where I would correct someone for their choice of terminology on a cruise.

Bad spelling and grammer are, IMHO, here to stay. With the advent of spell check, many no longer had to worry about knowing the correct spelling. Now with text messaging, abbreviations that used to be used by Morse code operators as well as new abbreviations are finding their way in to every day communictions.

Sad that many don't know how it will effect their lives:(

Charlie

A state room in a large European mansion, is usually one of a suite of very grand rooms which were designed to impress. The term was most widely used in the 17th and 18th centuries. They were the most lavishly decorated in the house and contained the finest works of art. State rooms are usually only found in the houses of the upper echelons of the aristocracy, those who were likely to entertain a head of state.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_room

Noun 1. stateroom - a guest cabin

cabin - small room on a ship or boat where people sleep

from

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stateroom

Wait! You mean this is a serious discussion??:D

forehead-slap.jpg

Yes, as I had hoped, its actually becoming educational :)

Sorry if I offended. I was really responding to derf's comments about outside cabins and outhouses.

Hopefully my posts reflect the fact that I do enjoy contributing to the serious side of the discussion without losing my sense of humor.

Charlie

"Bad spelling and grammer are, IMHO, here to stay."

Thanks for giving us a prime example... :eek:

I have a spelling checker,

It came with my PC.

It plane lee marks four my revue

Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,

Your sure reel glad two no.

Its vary polished in it's weigh.

My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,

It freeze yew lodes of thyme.

It helps me right awl stiles two reed,

And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen

Eye trussed too bee a joule.

The checker pours o'er every word

To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's

Hour spelling mite decline,

And if we're lacks oar have a laps,

We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling

Is checked with such grate flare,

Their are know fault's with in my cite,

Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,

It does knot bring a tier.

My pay purrs awl due glad den

With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet

Of witch won should bee proud,

And wee mussed dew the best wee can,

Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays

Such soft wear four pea seas,

And why eye brake in two averse

Buy righting want too pleas.

from

http://grammar.about.com/od/spelling/a/spellcheck.htm

I've read many a post here where people talk about their rooms, ask for help selecting a room, etc, etc, and have always answered where my experience allowed. However, I always thought that if a sleeping accommodation was on a ship it was referred to as a cabin or stateroom, not a room like in a land-based hotel. Before you all flame me I'm not trying to correct or pick on anyone, I'm just trying to learn something I've been curious about in reading the boards :)

Which is the proper reference...room, stateroom, or cabin? Thanks! :)

Does it really matter? Regardless of the terminology, I think we all know what the poster is referring to.

Does it really matter? Regardless of the terminology, I think we all know what the poster is referring to.

No, it really doesn't matter, and as other posters have said, I am not trying to correct anyone. This was simply for my own curiosity and education.

Archived