Renovation News for Horizon & Zenith

theawesome1

Thanks moni that worked for me!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;8;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Our 1 yr anniversary cruise to Bermuda

Pride 11/02

Fantasy 10/01

"Do what you want and say what you feel because the people that matter dont mind and people that mind dont matter"

Dr. Seuss

I think I know where some of the rumors and confusion on the ship being stretched come from.

The plan as it was explained to me is to extend decks 9, 10, 11 & 12 within the existing hull. In other words the overall ship length will not increase but the footprint of the decks will. One of the crew actually stated "when they stretch this deck..." by which he actually meant trade some empty deck area for enclosed space.

I will try to get the pictures uploaded somewhere so that everyone can take a look.

• 8 months later...

The official press release states that Horizon will leave the fleet in November; be refurbished and SOLD....TO A EUROPEAN CRUISE LINE....SORRY...I am on her March 25 for 10 days and I expect that everything will be run-down and tattered....alas

She's actually not being sold, she's being transferred to another division of RCI and will be cruising in S. American after her refurbishment in November.

We just got off of her this past Friday and there was nothing run-down and tattered on her. She's showing her age, but she's aging gracefully and everything was clean and in good condition.

Just returned on the Horizon and all the crew stated that the ship had been sold. Our stateroom had many problems. One night solid rust water came from the shower. Our TV NEVER worked. Stated that the cabin wasn't wired properly. Remote control was held together with tape. Patched bed cover. Room had torn carpet. The stateroom across from us had different carpet. Looked like the carpet from the show room. Didn't match anything. Have sailed on the Horizon three previous times, and it definitely was not the same ship this time. Really a poor showing for Celebrity.

:mad:

Thanks for the input...tell the truth I am expecting one of those motel 6 looks...they will not be repairing, patching etc..anyting prior to refurbishing etc...dumb me...did not know all this when I booked the 10 day March 25...oh well...maybe the food will be good...:p

• 3 months later...

i have just returned from a 10 day (actually 9) trip on the Horizon. I hated every minute on her. I am a balcony sailor. I had a view on deck 9 of a lifeboat. We hit weather from day one..fog in Tampa delayed us over 24 hrs departing..arriving after 3 days at sea (no compensation from line) with half the day gone..in Costa Rico..had to cancel our tour to San Jose...no compensation...we rocked and rolled the whole time except for a few blessed hours. No stabilizer ...people were sick and one night the floor show had to be cancelled due to the rocking of the ship...so much for an older ship....The Captain stopped speaking to us by the 3rd day...every line I have been on the Captain speaks at 12 noon...The staff were strained to say the least.

We liked the size of the room and the storage; the food was outstanding and our wait staff were wonderful..and that was the best of it...The TV was forever "out of range"(did not pay for the satellite)....we had been over the same route a few months before on another line...and we did lose TV on occasion...but not for days on end; the interline was so bloody slow that it ate up the dollars; and it was down also occasionally. We found the nooks and crannies charming. The swimming pool was a joke...the water swished over and out due to the rocking...and it was full of kids..no special time for adults...our room attendant was minimally friendly. We noticed on our on line banking forms that money was being taken as a debit...and when we finally got someone to explain it honestly it turned out that they periodically take out money, hold it and see if you can pay your bill!!!!Much like when you book a motel they freeze your card for the amount...I verified this today with Celebrity...they eventually erase it....We arrived at Colon and were briefed that it was very dangerous ; not to go out alone etc...best stay at the shopping terminal...great..why do they take you to those places?????Well.. am a seasoned traveller...and can leave my home...and have little expectations....but this cruise was a disaster...and you will never get me on Horizon...stretched, rebuilt, balconied, burped or stripped......she will still be the old rusty bucket that it is....I am back to Royal Caribbeans mega ships...

Sounds like you went with the intention of having a lousy time.

First - READ YOUR CRUISE DOCS - The cruise line has NO CONTROL OVER WEATHER and ports and times are subject to change. No compensation!!!

Second - The Horizon does have stabilizers.

Third - You are on a ship, even MEGA ships rock in heavy seas. Water will slosh around, and yes, sometimes out on the deck in heavy seas.

Go back to RCI and enjoy 4000 people crowded in the buffet lines, and leave Celebrity alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celebrity Cruises' Horizon Moves to Island Cruises Fleet

MIAMI, Dec 14, 2004 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Celebrity
Cruises' Horizon will move to the Island Cruises fleet in October 2005
under a six-year lease agreement arrangement with the British-based
cruise line.

Island Cruises, created in May 2000, is the brand name of Sunshine
Cruises Limited, a joint venture between Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.
and First Choice Holidays PLC, one of the United Kingdom's largest
integrated tour operators.

"Island Cruises has performed well in its first three years," said Jack
Williams, president and chief operating officer of Celebrity Cruises.
"By adding a ship, Island Cruises can continue to grow its brand and
overall presence in Europe and South America. Horizon has served our
Celebrity Cruises guests very well during the past 14 years and will
continue to do so for the guests of Island Cruises."

Since its first sailing in spring 2002, Island Cruises has attracted a
high number of first-time cruisers with its casual ambiance. The cruise
line offers informal, flexible and affordable cruise vacations with
open-seating dining and a relaxed dress code. It currently offers two
transatlantic, six Brazilian and three Mediterranean itineraries on the
1,740-guest Island Escape. The line also offers combination
cruise/hotel packages with 20 resort hotels in Majorca, Sao Paolo and
Rio De Janeiro, as well as air/sea packages originating from 16
regional airports. Island Escape previously sailed as Royal Caribbean
International's Viking Serenade.

"We couldn't be happier about the expansion of our fleet, especially
with such a wonderful ship," said Michael Bayley, managing director of
Island Cruises. "We look forward to growing our cruise line and
providing our guests with even more alternatives for their cruise
vacations."

Horizon will complete its current winter sailings to the Caribbean from
the Port of Tampa and its summer 2005 Bermuda sailings from the Port of
Philadelphia. The ship will be turned over to Island Cruises in late
October. It will then enter drydock in Freeport, Bahamas, where it will
undergo extensive refurbishment, including the addition of two
restaurants, 59 staterooms and 50 balconies.

The ship will enter service for Island Cruises in December in Brazil
under a new name. The ship will sail from Brazil during winters and in
the Mediterranean during summers.

Horizon joined the Celebrity Cruises fleet in May 1990 and was built by
Jos. L. Myer GmbH & Co. of Papenburg, Germany. It was refurbished in
October 1998. The 47,000 gross-registered-ton ship carries 1,700 guests
and 642 crew members. Celebrity Cruises currently operates the ship
primarily in Bermuda in summers and in the Caribbean in winters.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that
operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a
combined total of 29 ships in service and two under construction. The
company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and
Europe through its cruise-tour division. Additional information can be
found on [url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/"][color=#8297c8]http://www.royalcaribbean.com[/color][/url] , [url="http://www.celebrity.com/"][color=#8297c8]http://www.celebrity.com[/color][/url] or
[url="http://www.rclinvestor.com/"][color=#8297c8]http://www.rclinvestor.com[/color][/url] .

SOURCE Celebrity Cruises

Leslie Katz of Celebrity Cruises, +1-305-539-6574
[url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com"][color=#8297c8]http://www.royalcaribbean.com[/color][/url]

So why put all the bucks into her if she is leaving????? Did we forget about my post off Celebrity's web site???

For those confused, the first 30 or so posts of this thread were from April, [u][b]2004[/b][/u], not 2005.

Jano - lucky for me I couldn't post last night when I read your 'comments'. I'm quite sure I would have gotten in trouble. Apparently the CC gremlins were looking out for me, as I was all ready to write lots of scathing reactions to your post. As it is now 12 hours later & I others have had a chance to weigh in with their thoughts of your opinions, I will save the hosts the time of needing to delete my reply. Suffice it to say that I agree with what others have said, do your homework before booking your next cruise & hopefully you will find a ship more to your liking. As for the weather, be realistic. The captain of the Horizon had no more control over the weather then you did.

Geesh!

[size=1][i](grumble, grumble, growl)
[size=2]~fly[/size]
[/i][/size]

[quote name='ECCruise']Here is the full scoop from the Island Cruises web site: [url="http://www.islandcruises.com/presscentre.php?mode=view&newsid=25"]New star on the Horizon[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link! We will, no doubt, manage to follow her as we did the Nordic Prince when it became the MS Carousel! I look forward to sailing her again no matter who she is sailing under!

I applaud your loyalties to your ship ...but, the remarks are a bit too personal.
I gave my observations as it related to me. You did not have to agree or disagree. 1. I am well travelled 2. I have been on other lines 3. This was my first and last Celebrity cruise 4. The wait for the buffet line was just as long in the Casual Cafe; the elevators and hallways waiting for dinner seating...as on mega ships. 4. The Stabilizer situation was a problem and many others noticed the rumbles and grinding etc..that was over and above the normal. 4. I am totally aware that the Cruise line cannot control weather and I can assure you that other lines have compensated for missed ports....I left Miami in September on the tail of Hurricane Charley..skipped Aruba (Royal and Carnival compensated); went into the Gulf ..ran into Hurricane Ivan...went thru the Canal and in the Pacific ran into Hurricane Javiar..rocked and rolled for 2 days in howling rain and waves (AND IT DID NOT EQUAL THE HORIZON PROBLEM) ...got into LA, toured for 2 days and flew home into Orlando in time for Hurricane Frances...so don't try and bully me that I am a cry baby..,.for I know a rusting bucket when I see one...and my opinions were voiced by everyone on the Horizon....if you treasure small ships, intimate friendships then of course a small ship is your choice...as to my room assignment...we were offered 3 rooms ....totally AFT added $600. and we had to pay to move...so please allow me a mistake.. I went for the cheap fare ...OK...I found all of you personal ,patronizng and pompous...it is a sad commentary when someone cannot voice an opinon without the hyenas descending....and I wish all of you a bon voyage...a safe harbor...and a repeat of the cruise I just got of...in every detail....you guys are soooooo deserving.

New to the Celebrity board. What about Zenith? There are some pretty cheap $330 5-day cruises January 2006--Miami, Port Antonio, Grand Cayman, Miami. What can you tell me about these cruises? This price is of course an inside room. Before or after dry dock/refurbishment?

[quote name='jano1932']I applaud your loyalties to your ship ...but, the remarks are a bit too personal.
I gave my observations as it related to me. You did not have to agree or disagree. 1. I am well travelled 2. I have been on other lines 3. This was my first and last Celebrity cruise 4. The wait for the buffet line was just as long in the Casual Cafe; the elevators and hallways waiting for dinner seating...as on mega ships. 4. The Stabilizer situation was a problem and many others noticed the rumbles and grinding etc..that was over and above the normal. 4. I am totally aware that the Cruise line cannot control weather and I can assure you that other lines have compensated for missed ports....I left Miami in September on the tail of Hurricane Charley..skipped Aruba (Royal and Carnival compensated); went into the Gulf ..ran into Hurricane Ivan...went thru the Canal and in the Pacific ran into Hurricane Javiar..rocked and rolled for 2 days in howling rain and waves (AND IT DID NOT EQUAL THE HORIZON PROBLEM) ...got into LA, toured for 2 days and flew home into Orlando in time for Hurricane Frances...so don't try and bully me that I am a cry baby..,.for I know a rusting bucket when I see one...and my opinions were voiced by everyone on the Horizon....if you treasure small ships, intimate friendships then of course a small ship is your choice...as to my room assignment...we were offered 3 rooms ....totally AFT added $600. and we had to pay to move...so please allow me a mistake.. I went for the cheap fare ...OK...I found all of you personal ,patronizng and pompous...it is a sad commentary when someone cannot voice an opinon without the hyenas descending....and I wish all of you a bon voyage...a safe harbor...and a repeat of the cruise I just got of...in every detail....you guys are soooooo deserving.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before, bye bye now.

[quote name='jano1932']i have just returned from a 10 day (actually 9) trip on the Horizon. I hated every minute on her. I am a balcony sailor. I had a view on deck 9 of a lifeboat. We hit weather from day one..fog in Tampa delayed us over 24 hrs departing..arriving after 3 days at sea (no compensation from line) with half the day gone..in Costa Rico..had to cancel our tour to San Jose...no compensation...we rocked and rolled the whole time except for a few blessed hours. No stabilizer ...people were sick and one night the floor show had to be cancelled due to the rocking of the ship...so much for an older ship....The Captain stopped speaking to us by the 3rd day...every line I have been on the Captain speaks at 12 noon...The staff were strained to say the least.
We liked the size of the room and the storage; the food was outstanding and our wait staff were wonderful..and that was the best of it...The TV was forever "out of range"(did not pay for the satellite)....we had been over the same route a few months before on another line...and we did lose TV on occasion...but not for days on end; the interline was so bloody slow that it ate up the dollars; and it was down also occasionally. We found the nooks and crannies charming. The swimming pool was a joke...the water swished over and out due to the rocking...and it was full of kids..no special time for adults...our room attendant was minimally friendly. We noticed on our on line banking forms that money was being taken as a debit...and when we finally got someone to explain it honestly it turned out that they periodically take out money, hold it and see if you can pay your bill!!!!Much like when you book a motel they freeze your card for the amount...I verified this today with Celebrity...they eventually erase it....We arrived at Colon and were briefed that it was very dangerous ; not to go out alone etc...best stay at the shopping terminal...great..why do they take you to those places?????Well.. am a seasoned traveller...and can leave my home...and have little expectations....but this cruise was a disaster...and you will never get me on Horizon...stretched, rebuilt, balconied, burped or stripped......she will still be the old rusty bucket that it is....I am back to Royal Caribbeans mega ships...[/QUOTE]

I was on the March 25th sailing, too.... [i][b]and had a fabulous time[/b][/i]. The Captain could not control the weather [u]OR[/u] the fact that the Tampa Port Authority would not allow the ship to sail as scheduled in the fog. The medical evacuation of a passenger also cut into our sailing time a bit.... but if you were the passenger in distress, I am sure you would have truly appreciated the fact that medical attention was available and that the Coast Guard was able to insure transport to a medical facility capable of handling the problem. The passenger's condition was quite serious, according to the discussion of the subject at the Captain's Table. Sure, I was disappointed that we did not make Grand Cayman as scheduled, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. Two members of my table at late seating also had to leave the ship in Costa Rica because of a medical problem... and they were very sad to have to leave because they were having a wonderful time on the Horizon.
Did you oversleep the day we were in Costa Rica? Perhaps I might be incorrect, but I believe we arrived and were on shore not more than two hours later than scheduled. The Oscar Brown tour that we'd privately arranged went off as planned just a while later than expected..... and we still got a good four-five hour tour in. I am sorry that your tour was canceled, but I am sure you were compensated if you booked through the ship. Our tour for the Cayman Islands was credited to our shipboard account.
I was in an aft cabin and only once noticed the noises you mentioned. And perhaps I was looking too hard, but I did see maintenance going on while onboard..... a glass panel in the elevator was repaired, aft decks were washed down every morning, the flush buttons on the toilets were being changed over from the pull type to the push button type, and railings were being varnished. I did see a few rust spots in a few places, but I also saw them on the Constellation in December. Sea air makes these spots unavoidable, I am told. The only major problem I noticed was with the carpet on deck 5.... there were some spots that needed some attention, but I was not going to let it ruin my cruise.
As for the rough seas, Mother Nature dealt that to us and it was nothing that anyone, [i]including the Captain[/i], could have controlled. I was personally glad that it did not get even worse than it was and I just kicked off my high-heels and wore my flip-flops with a smile.[i] Had I known you were having such a bad time, we would have invited you up to deck 10 aft where we were having a grand time for most of the trip! :) [/i]
[i]Life's voyages, even those at sea, are what you make of them, I guess.[/i] I am truly sorry you did not enjoy the Horizon. Hopefully you will not feel so negatively about your next sailing experience. Best of luck to you in finding the perfect sailing adventure!

OK..I will go away...I am rushing to the nearest KMart to purchase a pair of flip flops...I see now that is where I went wrong....silly me...I should have figured that out....next trip will include them instead of high heels..and when I watch 3 people rush from the dinner table to "hurl"...I will shout after them...Should have worn flip flops....and offer them mine....and when I wait for days for the TV satellite not come on...I will throw a bottle overboard to make communication....with the outside world...and when our dinner companions mention some of the same things I have I will answer them: "Come on up to deck 10 and have a ball"....and when they invade my bank account for $500.and not inform us.....and hold it ...to test whether we can pay our bills...I should say...OK..keep the change!! And funny, but I never noticed the carpets....I am not that picky....

Archived