Loved the Lirica

AmoMondo

Just returned yesterday on the Lirica's Fort Lauderdale to Dover repositioning cruise. Absolutely loved everything about it. I'll post a review soon. If anyone has any questions about MSC or this ship, I'll be more than happy to tell you all about it

I have always sailed the Royal Carribean ships and the Princess Line and Celebrity and am very skeptical to go on the Lirica. When I went into the Critics review I was not too happy with the food and all. I am also not sure if I would like the smaller ship and wasn't quite sure if there would alot to do for my two grandaughters (ages 10 and 12). I read a few reviews stating the food was not good; entertainment was ok and rooms are very small and basically they would not ever book on an MSC line and especially the Lirica.

Could you please tell me your experience and have you been on other ships? thanks so much.

icon7.gif

i really like MSC and have sailed with them many times and had absolutely no problems with them 9apart from perhaps admin whilst booking) However people either love it or hate it. Those that hate have their reasons and I really do think that it comes down to personal preferences. i think if you look at reviews there will be as many people who had a good time as those that had a bad time. I would not really call the Lirica a small ship although she certainly isn't one of the newer super sized ones that all the cruise lines seem to be introducing now. if you really like the enormous ones. then MSC have these too. (Musica, orchesttra, the new Poesia and soon to be launched Fantasia)

To put things in to context, I'm a European professional business woman in her forties who enjoys formality, classical music, European culture, Italaian food and an ecletic mix of cultures and languages. I either cruise on my own or with a friend of similar tatstes. I've never cruised with children. I have noticed that whilst there will often be a lot of children onboard during school holidays (the kids go free promotion) that when in Europe the majority will not be English speaking. It is different when in the caribbean as there will be a lot of US and Canadian passengers. Although I've not sailed with RCI from what I've read they seem to be far more suitable for children (especially British and US). I can't tell from your post what nationality you are but my guess would be that if you enjoy the 3 cruise lines you mentioned and like things to be similar to that I probably would not try MSC as you will find it different. For some people different is fun and interesting, for others different is just wrong. From what I know of the lines you mention they are heavily geared towards catering for the US and British markets. MSC definitely isn't although they do make some concessions/differences in approach whilst in the Caribbean.

Hope this is of some help. happy to answer any specific questions you may have about MSC

i really like MSC and have sailed with them many times and had absolutely no problems with them 9apart from perhaps admin whilst booking) However people either love it or hate it. Those that hate have their reasons and I really do think that it comes down to personal preferences. i think if you look at reviews there will be as many people who had a good time as those that had a bad time. I would not really call the Lirica a small ship although she certainly isn't one of the newer super sized ones that all the cruise lines seem to be introducing now. if you really like the enormous ones. then MSC have these too. (Musica, orchesttra, the new Poesia and soon to be launched Fantasia)

To put things in to context, I'm a European professional business woman in her forties who enjoys formality, classical music, European culture, Italaian food and an ecletic mix of cultures and languages. I either cruise on my own or with a friend of similar tatstes. I've never cruised with children. I have noticed that whilst there will often be a lot of children onboard during school holidays (the kids go free promotion) that when in Europe the majority will not be English speaking. It is different when in the caribbean as there will be a lot of US and Canadian passengers. Although I've not sailed with RCI from what I've read they seem to be far more suitable for children (especially British and US). I can't tell from your post what nationality you are but my guess would be that if you enjoy the 3 cruise lines you mentioned and like things to be similar to that I probably would not try MSC as you will find it different. For some people different is fun and interesting, for others different is just wrong. From what I know of the lines you mention they are heavily geared towards catering for the US and British markets. MSC definitely isn't although they do make some concessions/differences in approach whilst in the Caribbean.

Hope this is of some help. happy to answer any specific questions you may have about MSC

i'm really glad u like our napolitan company. usually the relationship between english people and naples has always been very very good, since the times of the wonderfull realm of the two sicilies. it's like history repeatinig ehehhehe

Ah but I'm not English. You can refer to me as Scottish, British or European - don't mind which. We celts do know a good thing when we see it and being a Scot I definitely know a bargain when I see one and MSC are terrific value for what you get

• 8 months later...

We are going on the Lirica 2/22/09 to Panama Canal from Ft. Lauderdale. I've read too much and heard too much, good and bad. I'm really concerned about how small the ship is and how small the ocean-view cabins are. 140 sq ft. sounds like a closet. Also good and bad about food and service. Thanks

We are going on the Lirica 2/22/09 to Panama Canal from Ft. Lauderdale. I've read too much and heard too much, good and bad. I'm really concerned about how small the ship is and how small the ocean-view cabins are. 140 sq ft. sounds like a closet. Also good and bad about food and service. Thanks

We did the transatlantic cruise in Nov/Dec on Lirica, with an ocean-view cabin. We didn't find the ship too small. We had a smooth trip across the TA, and found it was a good size for getting easily into port, etc. We didn't find the ocean-view cabins too small and we spent more time in our cabin on this cruise than we have before. There seemed to be a place for everything.

Lirica would be a good size for travelling through the Panama Canal.

Food was a bit of hit and miss, and rarely hot, yet we ate very well on this cruise. When in doubt, we chose Italian, soup, vegetarian (much to our surprise) and gelati for desert. Breakfast in the dining room was always a good start to the day.

We received consistent high levels of service from our room stewards and waiters, who served us.

Most problems on the ship were management related and could be easily addressed with a change of management style and attitude.

I am sailing on the Lirica Feb 12, we have the early dinner seating and the ship departs at 7pm, is there a sail away party on the deck departing from Ft Lauderdale? Should I miss my seating to see if anything is going on?

I doubt it - it is not really something MSC do, unless it is one of the more recent changes that they seem to be making to cater for the US market. normally when you leave port on the Lirica they play Time to say Goodbye in Italian - which i rather like.

I've read too much and heard too much, good and bad. I'm really concerned about how small the ship is and how small the ocean-view cabins are. 140 sq ft. sounds like a closet. Also good and bad about food and service. Thanks

The ship is about 800 feet long, so not that small - it is about 8 decks shorter and 1500 passengers lighter than the supergiants. Not as many different frenetic activities as on a big ship, but they provide contests, entertainment, lessons, etc, and there's plenty of room to relax.

An advantage of the smaller ship is that it is easier to maintain relationships with passengers and crew, as opposed to getting lost in the crowd on the big ones.

I thought my oceanview cabin was about comparable to Royal Carib. Adequate room for self, clothes and luggage. The shower was not overlarge. Don't make any sudden movements.

Re staff and service, on my voyage wait and cleaning staff very good-humored. During the first day or two in the dining room you might have to make something clear - I like to be polite about it. By voyage end things were ship-shape. Food okay to occasionally very good. I am easily pleased.

I am sailing on the Lirica Feb 12, we have the early dinner seating and the ship departs at 7pm, is there a sail away party on the deck departing from Ft Lauderdale? Should I miss my seating to see if anything is going on?

I sailed going on a year ago, so I may be out of date. In fact I may be past expiration. But at that time, there was no organized sailaway that I know of. The people in the condos did blast their horns as we sailed past. I don't know that I'd miss dinner for it.

Here is a question about the shows and entertainment.

I am sailing on the Lirica in another month and I now have

the late seating (Caribbean), what time are the shows?

is it after the second seating or before?

are there shows nightly on the 10 day cruise?

There is always a show every evening on all their crusies regardless of the length of the cruise. there are 2 showings to coincide with the end of each dinner seating. However on one of my cruises (cant rememeber whether it was the 11 night cribbean sailing or the TA from FLL) they changed the show time to be before dinner as many of the US passengers complained that the show after second seating was too late for them. Occasionally they will have the show on the pool deck instaed of the theatre

Archived