Port or starboard on Voyager crossing?

Ninabelina

We are on the Funchal to FFL crossing this November and I was offered a starboard cabin 1009 but declined it for a port one near the back ( beyond the laundrette) I am now reading on this board reports of lots of vibration at the rear of the Voyager. I chose the port side because on the crossing I assumed that the sun would shine that side of the ship more. Am I wrong? I would dearly love peoples input as to which would be the better position. I will look forward to knowing which side the sun will shine!

The general rule is: starboard side of the ship for an eastbound crossing, and port side for a westbound crossing. And many seasoned voyager cruisers suggest (if u can) book any suite forward of the laundry rooms due

to the vibration (may or may not bother u). We are also on the cruise with

a group of ten..see u on board!

I think you'd be fine with port side but not sure why you're looking at Deck 10 and so far aft. You would definitely feel some vibration.

Go with Deck 6 or 7 midship, it's MUCH better. Deck 6 midship (around 646 give or take several cabins) is my favorite but also sells out quickest.

Thank you for your responses to my questions. They have made me feel like I made the right choice of cabin. The reason I went for deck 10 was the butler!! Having never had one and fancied being a Mrs Bucket ( bouquet) I thought we would have a treat and be well and truly looked after. It is only our second cruise our first was on QM2 last year and another guest recommended RSSC. By the way Mrs Bucket is from a very funny comedy series in the UK. She has ideas above her station. I always say I am her, but it is always with a smile and tongue in cheek.:) :D :) :D

Thank you for your responses to my questions. They have made me feel like I made the right choice of cabin. The reason I went for deck 10 was the butler!! Having never had one and fancied being a Mrs Bucket ( bouquet) I thought we would have a treat and be well and truly looked after. It is only our second cruise our first was on QM2 last year and another guest recommended RSSC. By the way Mrs Bucket is from a very funny comedy series in the UK. She has ideas above her station. I always say I am her, but it is always with a smile and tongue in cheek.:) :D :) :D

We're doing our second cruise on the Voyager in October -- truly a wonderful ship. We were on deck 10 on our last cruise -- there is definitely a vibration aft. However, if you are under the swimming pool on deck 10, you hear scraping of chairs, and noise when people run around by the pool.

I spoke to the Cruise Director about making a better choice for our next cruise -- he selected 818 -- a Penthouse B suite. Our travel agent agrees with this choice. The hint given to us regarding suite selection was to look at the deck plans above and below the deck you are considering to determine possible noise factors. The vibration issue is reportedly due to damage done to the ship shortly after she was built. It really bothers some people -- it wasn't a problem for me. . . . however, I would not chose an aft suite. Just my opinion.

Whatever your choice -- you'll have a great time!

Simple way to remember what side of the ship to book, but remember this is a BRITISH saying:

POSH

Port Outbound (to America), Starboard Home (to europe)

I am on the Voyager departing Ft Lauderdale next wednesday! Yippe

(in a Starboard suite, of course!)

To clarify "POSH" as it can get confusing....depending on which direction you are going and if you are after sun or shade.

Pat

POSH - Port out, starboard home

Origin

'Port out, starboard home' might be rather a strange inclusion on a website about phrases, for, as we shall see, it isn't much of a phrase at all. The much-repeated tale is that 'Posh' derives from the 'port out, starboard home' legend supposedly printed on tickets of passengers on P&O (Peninsula and Orient) passenger vessels that travelled between UK and India in the days of the Raj. Britain and India are both in the northern hemisphere so the port (left-hand side) berths were mostly in the shade when travelling out (easterly) and the starboard ones when coming back. So the best and most expensive berths were POSH, hence the term. A very plausible and attractive explanation and it would be nice to be able to confirm it.

There is no evidence to confirm this story though and it appears to have been dreamed up retrospectively to match an existing meaning. Whoever thought it up must have been quite pleased with it, and it appeals to enough people to get repeated endlessly.

P&O say they have never issued such tickets and, although many tickets from that era still exist, no 'POSH' ones have been found. These have the status of an etymological Holy Grail and occasionally someone claims to have seen one. Needless to say that hasn't yet been backed up with any evidence. Mind you, even if this mode of travel were the source of the phrase, there's no particular reason that tickets would have been stamped with POSH, so the absence of such tickets doesn't prove anything. The lack of any citation of 'port out, starboard home' in any of the numerous letters and literary works that remain from the British Raj is a more convincing argument against that origin. The true origin of "POSH" is uncertain.

All I can say is that these ships on Atlantic crossings must always list to one side if they're not full!

And of course, if you don't spent lots of time on your balcony, it probably does not matter at all which side you're on.

I suspect that POSH really meant something on trips to India, where shade was the real advantage, and cabins had no A/C.

So how does this work on a southern hempishpere crossing??? I'm considering the Cape Town to Rio crossing in November and have been offered cabins on both sides of the ship and don't know which to go for...I'd prefer to be on the sunny side!!

Hopefully I am not being thick but I would think you would need to be on the starboard side for that crossing as you will be well south of the equator and the sun shines from the north then. I heard a story of how someone from the UK had a house built in New Zealand with all the big windows facing the South to take advantage of the sun ( as you would in the UK) But of course in NZ the sun comes from the North!

Somebody will probably come up with a more technical reply but thats the best I can do!

Archived