Celebrity Wine

cruzinisgood

Depends on what you mean by "liking wine". Are you knowledgeable or do you just tend to enjoy house wines?

I would consider Celebrity's wines to be nothing better than a restaurant house wine. We tried them both and would not have them again, but my husband is very into wines and is selective about what he enjoys.

I've had the Cabernet before and I was happy with it. We had it ready in our cabin when we boarded, so maybe it tasted good because we were finally in our cabin and on vacation!! :-)

We brought one bottle into the dining room with us and our wine steward said that it was a beautiful bottle ... the decoration was gorgeous but she clearly didn't think much of the vintage!

I'm not well educated on wine, and thought the Chardonnay and Cab were fine for me.

Has anyone had the Celebrity wine? Red or white. We like our wine so we are curious what others think.

The wines are just "ok", but the price is right compared to others on the lists. You can bring wine aboard, but they charge you for corkage in the dining room. If you order the Celebrity wine ahead to be delivered to your room before boarding, there is no gratuity attached to it, etc. The price will probably go up soon because of the slide in the dollar, so I would order some now. Just my personal advice..............

When we travelled on the Century last April for a TA, their Chard was EXCELLENT! I mean a WS 90+ and a great price! It was a warm medium toast with nice malolactic and bright tropical/orchard fruit from the Alexander and Sonoma Valleys. They said it was the last of that particular batch and the next batch (meaning what they have now) was of a different vintage and appelation in California. I will let you know in a few weeks how it is. But what they served last year as a house Chard was absolutely out of this world and worth double the sticker price.

Patrick

P.S. I am well educated on wine, just not a snob about it. We LOVE a nice La Crema now and then because it reminds us of when we met over 20 years ago and when I started educating my partner about wine as I was going through sommelier training.

When we travelled on the Century last April for a TA, their Chard was EXCELLENT! I mean a WS 90+ and a great price! It was a warm medium toast with nice malolactic and bright tropical/orchard fruit from the Alexander and Sonoma Valleys. They said it was the last of that particular batch and the next batch (meaning what they have now) was of a different vintage and appelation in California. I will let you know in a few weeks how it is. But what they served last year as a house Chard was absolutely out of this world and worth double the sticker price.

Patrick

P.S. I am well educated on wine, just not a snob about it. We LOVE a nice La Crema now and then because it reminds us of when we met over 20 years ago and when I started educating my partner about wine as I was going through sommelier training.

Did you sample the Celebrity house Cabernet? If so was it worth the cost too?:confused:

We had the Celebrity Cabernet last week on the Mercury and it was very nice, a tad sweeter than average but enjoyable. I had a very nice finish. I'm no wine expert, just a wine drinker but IMHO its an 8+ out of 10.

On our last voyage (B2B on Connie) we pre ordered all our wines through the Bon Voyage selection on the X web site. (the Celebrity Wines).

I thought the Cab and Chard were very good considering the price. We had the wines delivered to our stateroom and took them to the DR. I plan to do the same type of ordering on our next X cruise, only I will have them delivered to our table in the DR. The only thing that I did not really care for was the attitude of the wine sommelier....she acted like she was doing us a great favor.

Pre dinner drinks are always martinis in the martini bar or up in the Nightclub on deck 11.....gotta love it!:D

I think I would put it just above a good table wine, nothing to write home about but quite drinkable. I don't feel that their wines have a huge mark up, about the same as a shore restaurant, so for $5 to $8 more you can get a pretty decent bottle of wine.

Forget about the House Chard! It is not the Premium House Chard that sold out in June of 07. Last night we had a great bottle of Foley Chard with our dinner. It was $40. Service, from our waiter Elodio, our Asst. Cassius, our Maitre'D Joval, to our Sommeliier, ???, was impeccable. Any hints of the little wear and tears on Aunt Millie is compensated 100 fold by outstanding service in every other area. I thought the Century had the best service and now I am going to have to reevaluate that!

Reporting from onboard the Millie TransCanal

Patrick

NOT a wine snob:

We had both on our last cruise and were impressed with both. They're not a $100+ quality, but for the price, we liked them both. Actually, the Chard was slighly oakey, which we like, and the Cab was very tasty, not too spicy. I think you'll like them both.

And they are both lovely, attractive bottles, with a nice design cut into each, and you can take them home, which we did. They look great on our wine rack.

Another increrible buy is the Brancott New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc at $30 and, if you like dessert wine, the Bonny Doon Muscat Vin de Glaciere, which at $38 a half bottle is a tad expensive but well worth it.

All the decent reds were priced highs (Jordan, Far Niente), but there is a nice Yarra Yerring Pinot from Australia and a Drouhin Pinot from Oregon that are drinking beautifully.

My husband and I enjoy wine and champagne and have tried some pretty great expensive bottles, but have also been recommended some lousy expensive bottles. The same goes for the cheaper bottles. I have had been shocked at how much I have enjoyed a $10 bottle, but have of course, been disappointed too.

Wine like anything else is subjective. It isn't about how much you pay, it's about how much you enjoy it! Go ahead and try the house bottle if it interests you, you may like it.

On another note - Patrick - I love your avatar and the notes you put on your cruises! You crack me up. :D

Patrick

Patrick,

So what do they charge on Celebrity for corkage when bringing wine to the dnner table?

Thanks

Ridget

Patrick,

So what do they charge on Celebrity for corkage when bringing wine to the dnner table?

Thanks

Ridget

If your bring a bottle to the DR that was not purchased through Celebrity (brought aboard by the passenger) the corkage fee is $25 per bottle. If the bottle was purchased as a pre-cruise gift through Celebrity and delivered to either your cabin or the DR the corkage fee is waived.

Archived