Alaska with Kids 7 & 9? Will they hate it or love it?

honeywell

We are considering a family cruise to Alaska and can't find much about whether this is wise to do with children. Will they really have fun? They have been on several cruises in the Caribbean, where it is always sunny and warm. Do kids enjoy the Alaska tours and does it get too cool for outdoor fun? Wil there be many other children on board? Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

We have cruised to Alaska twice with our kids who are now 8 and 14. If you ask them their favorite cruise destination, Alaska would win hands down, and we have been to the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii as well. My kids really enjoy outdoor adventure and seeing wildlife, and there is lots of opportunity for that in Alaska. Also, being from Southern California, the scenery in Alaska is so different from what my kids are used to that they really appreciate it. There were lots of other kids on both of our Alaska cruises so your kids will definitely have company.

Some great excursions we have done with our kids include whale watching, bear watching, native shows, nature hike, train trip and sled dog camp. They loved them all! As far as I am concerned, an Alaska cruise offers a great family vacation.

Honeywell:

Well, I can't tell you if it's fun for my kids because we haven't gone yet, but we will be going! My kids will be 5-13 by the time we go.

The Alaska board on this website (look under "ports") has been very helpful; some of the people have been to Alaska multiples times and on more than one cruiseline. I have it bookmarked. They give the thumbs-up to cruising to Alaska with kids, but thumbs down to cruisetours with kids because of the rigid schedules.

Probably the biggest drawback we have found is the expense of it all. Plane tickets cross-country will be expensive, and many of the excursions I would like to do are pricey (and some charge the same for kids as adults). I plan on justifying it as "educational" so I won't faint over the total cost!:eek:

Good luck in planning!

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

I don't know what ship you are going on and what "stuff" they have like indoor pool, etc. When I was younger my family went on Sitmar to Alaska and we were ages 7-70 (3 generation) it was a blast. I will tell you that most of the days were cloudy, the pools were not indoor, and it was the most amazing place I can remember ever going to. I now have a my first grandchild (if that gives you an idea how long ago I went lol) and I remember that cruise like it was yesterday. My DH is dying to go there. If you go thru glacier bay make sure you go on deck, you will feel like you can touch the glacier. Still remember the tender boat with crewmen going out to chip a chunk of ice, later that ice chunk was our ice sculpture at dinner. Have fun.

Honeywell--

We too are tried-and-true Floridians, and were skeptical about cruising to Alaska with the kids. After all, they love the sun, beach, shells, etc.

But--we took a risk and are SOOOOO glad we did! We cruised the Norwegian Star when the kids were 3 and 5, and had a FABULOUS time. We were so surprised at how much we enjoyed the scenery and wildlife: bears, whales, eagles.

And, since you hail from Florida like us, no doubt your poor Floridian kids have never seen snow...! That was the high point of the trip for us. Both DH and I grew up in the Chicago area, so are not strangers to snow. Instead, we got a kick out of watching our kids discover the "joy" of snow for the first time in their lives. Priceless!

(I know--all you Northerners are rolling your eyes right now....)

Go for it--you have to give Alaska a try!

CeleBrat

My kids were 8 and 5 when we cruised on the NCL Star two years ago. We just returned from Mexico Riviera. They both liked the Alaska cruise the same, if not better than Mexico. Surprisingly, both commented that they liked the cooler weather. The excursions didn't seem as rushed in Alaska. It might be because we went to the beach in Mexico. So, that meant bringing along all the "sun gear" and extra clothes...dealing with the sand, sunscreen. In Alaska, we just got off the ship and went on an adventure. In Juneau, we did the Captain Larry whale watching which was fun for us all. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Carcross where we played with sled dogs and saw a bear along the road. And in Ketchikan, we went to the Lumberjack show...corny, but fun. We still enjoyed the ship, went swimming, enjoyed the scenery. The kids loved the Kids Crew...there weren't lots of kids, but the counselors were great. I think you'll enjoy a cruise to Alaska!

all kids are interested in the idea of going to Alaska. Wouldn't you have wanted to go as a kid?

My two sons have been there and to be honest they liked the ship more than the scenery but enjoyed the cruise just as much as any other. My kids like the pools and onboard activities better than tours.

As for weather. I have been there in May, June and July and have always used the pools and hot tubs (which are heated in Alaska). The weather is sweater weather with episodes of "summer"- where you can wear shorts and tees.

Have a wonderful time.

(I know--all you Northerners are rolling your eyes right now....)

Snow - ICK! :eek: ;) lol

Tell your kids that MY kids want to trade houses with you. We are tired of snow. ;)

honeywell - the only downside I can see when I look at the Alaska cruises are the prices of the excursions. My kids wanted to do the dog sled tours and when I looked at the price I almost had a heart attack...lol.

Many families here have done Alaska and LOVED it. We are holding off for a while until our kids are older.

We went to Alaska in 2006 on a family reunion cruise when our kids were 5 and almost 9. We had a great time, but be sure to budget for the shore excursions. They are very expensive, especially the helicopter and float plane trips. For example, I went on a helicopter ride on a glacier with my mom, brother and SIL. As I recall it was $396pp! So DH took the kids on a whale watching expedition while I did the helicopter ride. We plan to go back again when they're a little older.

--Junglejane

We are going on the Norwegian Pearl in August with a 3, 4 and 6 yo. They are so excited about it. We live in the NW though so they are use to great mountain and water views. I'm not sure they will appreciate the scenery as much as the wildlife and the actual boat. They can't wait to go bowling on a ship! And go on the waterslide even though they will freeze their bottoms off. I'd say if you can afford it go for it!

If you are beach people who cruise so that you can spend long sea day afternoons poolside, an AK cruise may not be your cup of tea. If you like hiking, nature, wildlife and history -- an AK cruise will be great!

We've done a couple of AK cruise with our DD (first was when she was 5YO -- two others since then).

We have cruised to Alaska twice with our kids who are now 8 and 14. If you ask them their favorite cruise destination, Alaska would win hands down, and we have been to the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii as well. My kids really enjoy outdoor adventure and seeing wildlife, and there is lots of opportunity for that in Alaska. Also, being from Southern California, the scenery in Alaska is so different from what my kids are used to that they really appreciate it. There were lots of other kids on both of our Alaska cruises so your kids will definitely have company.

Some great excursions we have done with our kids include whale watching, bear watching, native shows, nature hike, train trip and sled dog camp. They loved them all! As far as I am concerned, an Alaska cruise offers a great family vacation.

My 2 cents is it depends greatly on your kids and what they like. The excusion options on an Alaskan cruise are very very different then a cruise in the tropics, or Europe for that matter.

The # of kids on our Alaskan cruise ( years ago ) was far fewer then our Caribbean as can be expected.

If the kids like being on the boat then you have a good start; love the pools, kids club and other activities, formal meals, the whole experience, then you got a great start. Laying out next to the pool for hours in warm sunny weather isn't one of the mainstays!

I know Alaska sounds great, but I know my kids would not have a postive view if they didn't actually see a whale and/or bear up close, or lots of otters. Seeing ice and beautiful scenary for days on end only goes so far with a kid. Of course a helicopter ride onto a glacier and a dog sled ride can make a lasting and most favorable impression :D

My 2 cents is it depends greatly on your kids and what they like. The excusion options on an Alaskan cruise are very very different then a cruise in the tropics, or Europe for that matter.

The # of kids on our Alaskan cruise ( years ago ) was far fewer then our Caribbean as can be expected.

If the kids like being on the boat then you have a good start; love the pools, kids club and other activities, formal meals, the whole experience, then you got a great start. Laying out next to the pool for hours in warm sunny weather isn't one of the mainstays!

I know Alaska sounds great, but I know my kids would not have a postive view if they didn't actually see a whale and/or bear up close, or lots of otters. Seeing ice and beautiful scenary for days on end only goes so far with a kid. Of course a helicopter ride onto a glacier can make a lasting impression :D

In early June you see sea otters. In late May and early June and later you will see whales spouting.

If you want to go to Alaska- go. The kids will have fun.

Frankly, if you live in Florida- what's the thrill with the Caribbean. Seems like the same old same old.

We did Alaska last year with 2 DS (9 and 8). This was our first cruise and when we got off kept asking "when can we go again!" We were on Princess, so there was a covered pool which the kids used--it was real neat sitting in the pool or hottub watching the glaciers go by! They also really enjoyed the kids camp on the ship. In the ports, because the excursions were so expensive, we picked one "splurge" it was the helicopter/glacier trek in Skagway--the kids had a blast!!! In Ketchikan, we just hired a cab for a couple hours to take us to Totem Bight State Park and the rainforest before we walked around town. Now, truth be told, my kids love totem poles, in fact my oldest had just finished studying about the Native American's of California and the totems, so they were right up his alley! My kids also enjoyed looking for wildlife in town and on the ship. The way I look at it is this, the way everything is going, the glaciers won't be around forever, so take your kids to see them while you still can.

My kids also enjoyed looking for wildlife in town and on the ship. The way I look at it is this, the way everything is going, the glaciers won't be around forever, so take your kids to see them while you still can.

That is the main reason we took my DS - 10 and DG - 16 to Alaska this July. If you wait, I am not sure the glaciers are still there. :D

We will do snorkeling in Ketchikan, Tracy Arm in Juneau, and White Pass Railroad trip in Skagway. We would like to enjoy the wildlife in Alaska when we still have chance. My kids pick the Alaska cruise over the Asia for this Summer. :eek:

Went to Alaska 4 yrs ago (children ages 9 & 11 at the time). Didn't cruise the whole trip (did "mini glacier cruise" ). It may be less expensive to book some of the land activities on your own. The kids LOVED the dog sled trip...went to Seavy's near Seward the year he won the Iditarod They were great with the kids. We were able to hold the puppies and ride in the summer version of a sled (used to exercise the dogs when there isn't any snow). Visit was very relaxed and fun.

We're definitely an outdoor family and love hiking, camping, wildlife observation, etc (we're all involved in scouting...both Boy & Girl Scouts:p ). That trip was probably the trip our children remember the most and the place they would most like to revisit , and we've taken them all over the US and to several islands.

If you like hiking and are going to be near Anchorage at all, Eagle River is a great place to go and has several trails, moose, beaver, marmuts, etc. There are many museums in Anchorage as well (Department of Interior Museum is free and very educational...has a scavanger hunt for the kids). Seward has the Sea Life Center, with a children's program. There is a lot you can do relatively inexpensively. Go to the Alaska Tourism website and request a brochure to help you compare prices.

You can cram a lot of activity into your day because of the long hours of daylight, which we all found to be really cool:cool:. We were able to obtain a "Wildlife Checklist" for the area so the kids could keep tabs of what we saw. Each also kept a travel journal to which they'd add samples of some of the wildflowers we came across (which are varied and abundant), postcards, drawings, etc.

I have family living in Anchorage. The weather, unfortunately due to global warming, has been getting warmer and warmer each year (it went into the high 70's when we were there) and we were able to swim outdoors! Be prepared for weather changes though (parts of Alaska are considered rain forest) and it will be REALLY cold going by the glaciers. You'll have a great time with your family. It's so different that anything we had experienced (we're from NJ). Wish we were going back!!:o Have an awesome time, you won't regret taking the family.

We are hoping to go next year with our 6 and 8 year olds in July. Not sure what the weather will be like but we are from Scotland so it will probably not bother us either way!!!

I have wanted to go to Alaska for forever so this will be my dream trip!

Some kids don't realise how lucky they are!!

I realise it will be an expensive trip but we hope to not spend too much time doing excursions (unless there are any that are absolutely necessary!!!) and just enjoy the atmosphere and the ship and the ports!

The first time I took the kids to Alaska they were 14, 11 and 8. They absolutely loved it. We had a great time. Now, they are experienced cruisers and they still want to go back to Alaska.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I think that is a perfect age. There was so much to do and see in Alaska that would appeal to them. Between watching the glaciers fall and spotting wildlife, there is so much to see even when on the boat. Once most kids reach middle school age many loose the "wow" factor and tend to be too cool to really enjoy some family outings.

Archived