Pizza on the Triumph - Yuck

flem1064

We sailed on the 4/5 Triumph, and one of the worst food areas was the pizza. I never got a slice that was cooked enough. Very doughy, and not very tasty. I tried to get a calzone a couple of times, but didn't want to wait "10 minutes".

Now I know there will be people that swear the pizza is good, but that's because whatever they have at home must be even worse.

I know what good pizza tastes like, and this isn't it. We sailed twice on the Glory and actually thought the pizza was as good or better than home. So it was easy to see the difference on the Triumph. I had been dieting for about 8 weeks prior to the cruise (to make room for the copious amounts of food), and the 24-hour pizza was one of my top 3 cravings. Other 2 cravings: Warm Chocolate Meting Cake, and Prime Rib.

The cake and the rib were excellent, but the pizza really didn't make the grade.

If you've been on the Triumph lately, do you agree with me?

I was on your sailing and the one before and after and I do not agree. I only got it a couple times each sailing but, mine was always cooked not, doughy. Hmmmmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Of course we enjoy the cheap Cici's pizza...

:eek: ............ :eek:

It takes them a long time, and they run through a lot of yellow and burnt-red crayons at Cici's... coloring the top of each and every pizza to look like cheese with round peperoni circles...

I thought about ordering a calzone and going to wolf down something else, but the times I was looking for pizza, the lines were horendous at the other buffet rows.

I need to learn to eat lunch at 3PM versus 11:30, but then again, we had the early seating, which makes it hard to juggle the schedule.

We booked the late seating for our next cruise. Our thought is that it would give us more time to prepare after getting back on the ship after excursions. We could munch on some early sushi and still have time to develop an appetite for dinner.

I also like to take a "happy nappy" after coming back on the ship after a day ashore.

...but the times I was looking for pizza, the lines were horendous at the other buffet rows.

The pizza line is always long when a show lets out in the evening... and most food lines are fairly long during lunch time and dinner time.

Gosh, with the exception of dinner in the Dining Room, I mostly graze all day and drink all day, and rarely during the middle of designated meal times. All kinds of wonderful things to graze on... like the grilled reuben's, chinese kitchen, fries, burgers, pizza, calzone, fish & chips, other specialty restuarants.

I really enjoy the pizza and calzone late night... with a cocktail... And if you want to taste anchovies, just have the cook hold the pizza longer under his armpits when he's melting the cheese... :D

The pizza is just OK to me. I guess it depends on which part of the Country you are from...I don't think you will get Chicago or NYC pizza on a cruise ship.

Think it just depends on your tastes. There are several pizza dive places in Green Bay, WI that are the best I've ever had. Chicago and NY pizza are both WAY overrated IMO - haven't found pizza in either city that compares to the Green Bay joints. I agree with the Atlanta poster - that was my biggest frustration living there! Mellow Mushroom was the best I could find (Hawaiian is the best). I love the ship pizza - the crust is perfect - not to thick, not too thin. OP, sorry the pizza on the Triumph wasn't up to snuff, but at least you know it's not the norm.

Think it just depends on your tastes. There are several pizza dive places in Green Bay, WI that are the best I've ever had. Chicago and NY pizza are both WAY overrated IMO - haven't found pizza in either city that compares to the Green Bay joints. I agree with the Atlanta poster - that was my biggest frustration living there! Mellow Mushroom was the best I could find (Hawaiian is the best). I love the ship pizza - the crust is perfect - not to thick, not too thin. OP, sorry the pizza on the Triumph wasn't up to snuff, but at least you know it's not the norm.

You're right-Mellow Mushroom IS the best, but a lot of them have disappeared in the last few months. I'm a diabetic and can't eat pizza very often, but Mellow Mushroom is my favorite. I would LOVE pizza from Belleria's in Youngstown, Ohio-that's what I miss most about leaving that part of Ohio-the pizza!!

:eek: ............ :eek:

It takes them a long time, and they run through a lot of yellow and burnt-red crayons at Cici's... coloring the top of each and every pizza to look like cheese with round peperoni circles...

mmmm...I love that Crayola smell. ;)

I've found Carnival pizza to be generally quite good, but honestly it's been better on some ships than others... not sure why that was.

We were on the Liberty over this past New Years and it was EXCELLENT. I do recall past Carnival cruises where the pizza was always very badly burnt, which I didn't enjoy so much. Probably, as a previous poster said, has something to do with the conveyor belt.

OK... I have not really responded... but I have always found the pizza's to be wonderful... and never a dough-ie crust.

I wish they would conform to the port/destination they of the cruise. I've never heard in a multitude of years of the names they apply to pizza. If the cruise leaves from the USA... I truely wish they would refer to pizza's as Sausage, Olive, peproni, mushroom, combo, etc. It seams they always have some European name that I have no idea what they are talking about.

Lived in NJ all my life, 6 years ago moved to Florida. It's taken me 6 years to get to the point where I can tolerate some of the pizza here. Let's say Florida pizza is a 5, and NJ/MY pizza is a 10, the Triumph pizza was a 1-2.

Even though we had some burps with our recent cruise on the Triumph, it sure beats working, and we had a good time anyway.

Next up is the Glory on 4/4/09 and I can't wait.

Cheers

I understand your pizza dilema.

I grew up in Philly...now I live in Maine. They have no idea how to do pizza OR breads here (which is good for my weight, but sucks when I want a pizza or a hoagie...which they call an "Italian" :rolleyes:)

As far as ship pizza, I don't eat pizza on ships, but my DH does.

If you think CCL's was bad...trust me, on other lines, it is worse...Celebrity's is really disgusting.

On your next cruise, don't even bother with the pizza. Someone from NJ could never be happy with a cruise ship pizza...it isn't possible.

We sailed on the 4/5 Triumph, and one of the worst food areas was the pizza. I never got a slice that was cooked enough. Very doughy, and not very tasty. I tried to get a calzone a couple of times, but didn't want to wait "10 minutes".

Now I know there will be people that swear the pizza is good, but that's because whatever they have at home must be even worse.

I know what good pizza tastes like, and this isn't it. We sailed twice on the Glory and actually thought the pizza was as good or better than home. So it was easy to see the difference on the Triumph. I had been dieting for about 8 weeks prior to the cruise (to make room for the copious amounts of food), and the 24-hour pizza was one of my top 3 cravings. Other 2 cravings: Warm Chocolate Meting Cake, and Prime Rib.

The cake and the rib were excellent, but the pizza really didn't make the grade.

If you've been on the Triumph lately, do you agree with me?

Never had a bad piece of pizza on any Carnival ship....;) With that being said though, they ought to get the recipe from sister company Princess...very good.....:D

I grew up in Philly...now I live in Maine. They have no idea how to do pizza OR breads here...

Sound like how I felt regarding Sour Dough Bread in Southern California after living in Northern California... they had no idea how to make it...

I hope it's not that bad. I have had really doughy pizza and got very queasy, but then again that was also the sauce taste too

It isn't bad at all. OP must have hit them at a bad time. Mine was not doughy at all. One time it was really done, you know that really done on the crust almost burnt:D

During our So. Caribbean cruise this past January on the Destiny, I had Pizza once (late one night). It wasn't excellent, but was definately edible.

LOL!! I think Edible is a fair description.

I grew up in Philly...now I live in Maine. They have no idea how to do pizza OR breads here (which is good for my weight, but sucks when I want a pizza or a hoagie...which they call an "Italian" :rolleyes:)

If you think CCL's was bad...trust me, on other lines, it is worse...Celebrity's is really disgusting.

On your next cruise, don't even bother with the pizza. Someone from NJ could never be happy with a cruise ship pizza...it isn't possible.

I grew up in NY.....Like a buddy of mine said...everybody thinks pizza fom NY is the best. It is...but only in 5% of the places you go to.

I'm in Florida for the past 21 years and the pizza absolutely sux here....in 105 % of the places......ACK....:(

I grew up in NY.....Like a buddy of mine said...everybody thinks pizza fom NY is the best. It is...but only in 5% of the places you go to.

I'm in Florida for the past 21 years and the pizza absolutely sux here....in 105 % of the places......ACK....:(

so, I guess that makes us Pizza Snobs :p

Yeah... but does NY know how to make a Artichoke-Chckien pizza... with Kiwi, chestnuts, and feta-cheese...?

That's a real pizza...!

I love artichokes on my pizza...but kiwi?????????????

no thanks.

(I don't get the whole 'fruit' on pizza thing. Still can't wrap my head around a pienapple and ham pizza....yuk! I'll stick with all veggies :D Mmmmmm)

(I don't get the whole 'fruit' on pizza thing. Still can't wrap my head around a pienapple and ham pizza....yuk! I'll stick with all veggies :D Mmmmmm)

You and my wife would get along... :)

Actually... I'm a traditionalist regarding pizza... my favorite being a meat lovers.

While I do not condone fruit... or artichoke on a pizza... or Chicken on a pizza... I do like pineapple and Canadian Becon.

The rest is all for the fruits in California... and California has a lot of fruit.

Maybe instead of baking the pizza's on the Triumph, the workers just hold them under their arms until the cheese melts... :eek:

now i gotta wipe off my screen from all the caffe'cole' (cold coffee) :) need a refill

You and my wife would get along... :)

Actually... I'm a traditionalist regarding pizza... my favorite being a meat lovers.

While I do not condone fruit... or artichoke on a pizza... or Chicken on a pizza... I do like pineapple and Canadian Becon.

The rest is all for the fruits in California... and California has a lot of fruit.

She likes veggie pizza too??? :)

SO...that's my problem. I'm an East Coast girl.

Fruit should stand on it's own, be topped with whipped cream or be baked into a pie. NOT thrown over sauce and mozzarella ewwww. :p

What you don't like a boiled ham italian on a huge hot dog bun?:D I grew up in Maine, and could never wrap my head around that one!

I moved to NC, and realized that pizza and sandwiches could only get worse, I moved to a rural town for a while and everyone told me how good this sub shop was, so I went and got a turkey sub, it was the cheapest pressed turkey available (I've worked in delis) yellow american cheese, miracle whip (ack:eek:) lettuce and tomato, on a grocery store roll, and without me asking they warmed it up in the microwave! It was the slimiest sandwich I had ever had!

MAC

Archived