Suggestions requested

terri1020

My cousin is seriously thinking of joining us on our June 8 NCL Dawn cruise with her three year old. For those of you who have been to Bermuda with young children, please suggest some on shore things he might enjoy. We are traveling with a group from 80 years old to three years old. We don't have to stay together but any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, has anyone gotten a bus pass and traveled it the entire route? Is that something my 80 year old mom might enjoy or should we book a private tour? Any private tour (taxi, mini-bus) operators that might fit the bill?

Thanks for your help!

Terri

Thanks!

Terri

My cousin is seriously thinking of joining us on our June 8 NCL Dawn cruise with her three year old. For those of you who have been to Bermuda with young children, please suggest some on shore things he might enjoy. We are traveling with a group from 80 years old to three years old. We don't have to stay together but any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, has anyone gotten a bus pass and traveled it the entire route? Is that something my 80 year old mom might enjoy or should we book a private tour? Any private tour (taxi, mini-bus) operators that might fit the bill?

Thanks for your help!

Terri

Probably the best thing for a 3 year old is the old standby, the beach.

They are beautiful and you can rent umbrellas and chairs. The major beaches such as Horseshoe have facilities. I like Tobacco Bay for kids as it is shallow and protected by an outer reef, so waves are minimal. Both Tobacco Bay and St Catherine's have facilities and rentals. They are both great for snorkling as well. Shelly Bay and Clearwater beach have nice playgrounds, as does Astwood park near Warwick Long Bay. Near Warwick is Jobson Cove which is a sheltered area where you can keep an eye on the kids but no facilities.

The aquarium and zoo is clean and excellent for children. There are seals and turtles in an open area. Many animals wander around freely including the orange monkeys (marmosets). It also has a nice snack bar with tables. There is a small play area with a view of Harrington Sound.

Fort Hamilton is high on a hill in the center of the island. There are great views of Bermuda from every wall. The moat is filled in and is now a botanical garden.

Snorkle Park in the dockyard is geared to kids. They have plenty of equipment to use and the water is shallow. The only drawback is the beach is rocky and you need to wear water shoes or crocs.

Thanks for your help!

Terri

Thanks!

Terri

We buy a transportation pass every time we go to Bermuda. It is just a very cost effective way to travel around to multiple destinations as you have unlimited use of the buses and ferries. We have taken the bus from St. George to Hamilton and from there to the other end of the island, the dockyard. It takes over an hour to an hour and a 1/2 to travel from one end to the other as the island is 21 miles long. I think you mother would love the ferry rides. They are fun and you can see quite a bit of the island. The best ferry ride is the one from the dockyard to St. George, which takes about 30 minutes. The trip from the dockyard to Hamilton is nice as well. The express takes 25 minutes. There is also a local which visits many little ferry stops around the harbor which is slower but scenic and takes about 45 minutes.

Your 80 year old Mom would probably enjoy taking the ferry directly to St. George's. Get there for the "reenactment" show in townsquare. The ferry ride is very enjoyable, and you get to see some of the big fancy houses close up. At Georgetown you can take a trolley tour around town. If the dine ashore program is available you can have lunch in town.

For the three year old. You can go to the Maritime museum at the Dockyards which is where Dolphin Quest is located. The three year old will be able to watch the dolphins up close. (I know someone is now going to post how cruel it is to the dolphins. . .:rolleyes: ) Also, snorkel park is very convenient to the ship, you can bring the three year old over in between a nap and a meal. There are more small babies on a Bermuda cruise than you can imagine. . .I think especially because no flying is involved for most people.

When you get a transportation pass, you also get a ferry pass. I highly recommend riding the ferry at any hour. Take a nice cruise and view the island from the water during the day or take a moonlit cruise at night. The bus is likely to be very crowded at times and if it's a hot day might not be a comfortable mode of transportation for the sole purpose of sightseeing. (Don't get me wrong, it's great for getting from point A to point B).

Thanks everyone! A transportation pass it is. We're thinking a stop at BAMZ is also in order. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. With my 80 year old mom and three year old nephew, we are a bit limited in what we can do but we want to make the most of it.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!

Terri

Thanks!

Terri

Just got back from a Transatlantic cruise with the first stop in Bermuda. We used http://www.joellstaxi.com and had a really delightful tour. We originally planned for 3 hours but ended up with 4 hours so we could tour the entire island. With just 3 hours we could not have gotten to St. George and missing that would be missing a big part of the island. The driver was very knowledgeable about the island and the van was comfortable.

Barbara

Archived