Sailing in/out New York

Nikkipink

Hello

Can you see the Statue of Liberty when arriving and departing NY? I have heard differing views now that QM2 arrives and departs at Red Hook.

Thanks

Nikki

Although you don't sail as close as sailing up to the piers, you still have wonderful views of the Statue of Liberty.

Sharon

Hello

Can you see the Statue of Liberty when arriving and departing NY? I have heard differing views now that QM2 arrives and departs at Red Hook.

Thanks

Nikki

On my last two cruises I had Cabin 9031 and one of the best parts of the odd number cabins is that while in New York the ship is positioned so that you have a direct view of Governor's Island, lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The even number cabins see the port and Brooklyn.

On my last two cruises I had Cabin 9031 and one of the best parts of the odd number cabins is that while in New York the ship is positioned so that you have a direct view of Governor's Island, lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. The even number cabins see the port and Brooklyn.

We also had 9031 for the 21 night Autumn Colors last year and spent a sunny hour on the balcony before sailing enjoying the very view you describe - twice!

K.

We also had 9031 for the 21 night Autumn Colors last year and spent a sunny hour on the balcony before sailing enjoying the very view you describe - twice!

K.

were you responsbile for the coffee stain on the carpet? :D:D:D

were you responsbile for the coffee stain on the carpet? :D:D:D

Don't drink coffee - or spill it! The broken plastic drain cover just as you step outside the balcony door wasn't us either! Had they fixed that by the time you were in the room? ;)

K.

Don't drink coffee - or spill it! The broken plastic drain cover just as you step outside the balcony door wasn't us either! Had they fixed that by the time you were in the room? ;)

K.

no, unfortunately on our February 2nd cruise it was still broken.:rolleyes:

However i love that cabin, great location, near the conceirge lounge, close but far enough away from the elevators and i love the walk in closet...

no, unfortunately on our February 2nd cruise it was still broken.:rolleyes:

However i love that cabin, great location, near the conceirge lounge, close but far enough away from the elevators and i love the walk in closet...

That's not good. Four months later and still not fixed....

We were in 9039 in May 2006 and there were problems in the same area there. The cover was made of wood then and a puddle of water had gathered and rotted the wood. The plastic must have been the solution but it's too thin and cracks easily. They really should have sorted this out. :confused:

Both 9031 and 9039 are great suites and well located, as you say. Was Roger your Butler in February?

K.

We were in 9039 in May 2006 and there were problems in the same area there. The cover was made of wood then and a puddle of water had gathered and rotted the wood. The plastic must have been the solution but it's too thin and cracks easily. They really should have sorted this out. :confused:

Both 9031 and 9039 are great suites and well located, as you say. Was Roger your Butler in February?

K.

We are in 9036 in June, first time in QG. Is there a big difference from PG?

Sharon

I think it's until the piers are refurbished.

Sharon

No, No, No Cunard signed a long term lease for the QM2 to used the new cruise terminal at Red Hook. The QM2 is too long for the Manhattan piers. It goes out to far into the Hudson River.

Frankly the Red Hook pier is a lot nicer than the Manhattan pier which was originally built 30 years ago and despite refurbishing stilll ooks 30 years old.

K.

Not Roger but whoever it was he was fabulous.

No, No, No Cunard signed a long term lease for the QM2 to used the new cruise terminal at Red Hook. The QM2 is too long for the Manhattan piers. It goes out to far into the Hudson River.

Frankly the Red Hook pier is a lot nicer than the Manhattan pier which was originally built 30 years ago and despite refurbishing stilll ooks 30 years old.

True- but so much easier to get to all the hotels and the centre of Manhattan from the old terminal. Twice when we arrived at the old terminal the queues for the taxis were huge and we were able to haul our suitcases across a few blocks and hail a cab ourselves...no way you can really do that in the middle of Brooklyn....

Whaaaa

Can you see the Statue of Liberty???

Can you see the Golden Gate Bridge when you sail out of San Francisco? - and the Manhattan Piers built thirty years ago - more like a hundred as the historic berths for the transatlantics!

What has happened to education, or has it all exported itself to pastures new?

Ye Gods

True- but so much easier to get to all the hotels and the centre of Manhattan from the old terminal. Twice when we arrived at the old terminal the queues for the taxis were huge and we were able to haul our suitcases across a few blocks and hail a cab ourselves...no way you can really do that in the middle of Brooklyn....

But for those of us who live in the New York area we really appreciate not having to go into Manhattan as many of us do it every day. Also the view of lower New York and the Statue of Liberty from the ship in Brooklyn is fantastic and not fleeting as you are there all day.

But for those of us who live in the New York area we really appreciate not having to go into Manhattan as many of us do it every day.

Bob I suspect that the majority of passengers find Manhattan a novelty as they don't do it every day.

Bob I suspect that the majority of passengers find Manhattan a novelty as they don't do it every day.

And for those who do live in New York area, just how tedious and tiresome can the departure on a grand ocean liner from the Westside piers get? :confused: :rolleyes:

Backing out of the pier into the Hudson River, and then the epic sailaway downstream as the dramatic and stunning view of the Manhattan skyline slowly floats past... the Statue of Liberty is straight up ahead, always in view and looming larger as the ship gets closer, and closer, then passes closely by...

Who does this so often that the deserted and bland Brooklyn terminal is prefered?

Departing from Brooklyn, you're practically already gone from New York... as distant lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty quickly recede behind...

just my $.02 worth...

And for those who do live in New York area, just how tedious and tiresome can the departure on a grand ocean liner from the Westside piers get? :confused: :rolleyes:

Backing out of the pier into the Hudson River, and then the epic sailaway downstream as the dramatic and stunning view of the Manhattan skyline slowly floats past... the Statue of Liberty is straight up ahead, always in view and looming larger as the ship gets closer, and closer, then passes closely by...

Who does this so often that the deserted and bland Brooklyn terminal is prefered?

Departing from Brooklyn, you're practically already gone from New York... as distant lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty quickly recede behind...

just my $.02 worth...

You can get the same feeling taking the Circle Line trip around Manhattan Island for a whole lot less money...

You can get the same feeling taking the Circle Line trip around Manhattan Island for a whole lot less money...

Not. :eek:

Comparing the Circle Line to departing on a Cunard crossing or cruise...

well... :cool:

Howevery, the Circle Line is good for those lovely views of the Bronx and Queens, which Cunard cannot provide.

As they say... "whatever floats your boat"... :rolleyes:

Archived