Cruising out of NYC: Parking Suggestions

cruisinmooners

We're cruising out of NYC on June 8th on the Norwegian Spirit and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on parking. We are driving in and are trying to decide if we should park at the pier (which looks to be at least $26/day) or park further out and take the subway. Does anyone have experience to share with what worked best for them? Thanks in advance!

it would be my opinion that:

1) wherever you are driving from you will be driving in that day...that's how i'm reading your post.

2) i presume this is at least a 7 night cruise...which means you'll have pretty big luggage, and probably more stuff when you come back from the trip.

3) the subways, although, they would appear easier and possibly cheaper, there is no subway that would take you directly to the pier. you'd still need a cab (or walk) the rest of the way with your luggage.

4) the parking lot at the pier definitely caters to cruisers and is very secure.

and i am not so sure how much more you'd save, given the hassle and the luggage.

now i suppose you could drop everyone off at the pier...and THEN park elsewhere then take the subway/cab. if you want to take the bus...the M50 will drop you off pretty much within the terminal area.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

We're cruising out of NYC on June 8th on the Norwegian Spirit and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on parking. We are driving in and are trying to decide if we should park at the pier (which looks to be at least $26/day) or park further out and take the subway. Does anyone have experience to share with what worked best for them? Thanks in advance!

Depending how much luggage you have, the subway might be a bit of a pain in the neck. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe the closest subway to the pier is like 50th Street and 8th Avenue (the C and E lines) and it's quite a walk from there to the pier (I had to do it once when I couldn't get a cab from the pier in the pouring rain!!!)

Depending how much luggage you have, the subway might be a bit of a pain in the neck. Also, I could be wrong, but I believe the closest subway to the pier is like 50th Street and 8th Avenue (the C and E lines) and it's quite a walk from there to the pier (I had to do it once when I couldn't get a cab from the pier in the pouring rain!!!)

If you can afford the cruise you should be able to afford the parking.

Wow, loving the fast replies. I didn't realize that taking the subway would require a taxi ride as well, so I don't think what we'd save would be worth giving up the ease of being right at the pier. Yes, we're driving down early that morning from Upstate NY and it's just the 2 of us so dropping one person & the luggage off is not an option. It's so helpful to find out what others have done, thank you so much.

you can find slightly less expansive parking at http://www.iconparking.com

you park at one of the parking lost near the pier, after dropping off your luggage and significant others and walk over. reverse it leaving(take you luggage to the sidewalk-leave fellow travelers- get car come back and get them and then leave..

You can save up to about 1/4....and whether that is worth the extra hassle is up to you.

you can find slightly less expansive parking at http://www.iconparking.com

you park at one of the parking lost near the pier, after dropping off your luggage and significant others and walk over. reverse it leaving(take you luggage to the sidewalk-leave fellow travelers- get car come back and get them and then leave..

You can save up to about 1/4....and whether that is worth the extra hassle is up to you.

Which one did you use?

We just cruised out of NYC. I reserved parking ahead of time at an ICONN lot I found on line near the pier. It was about half the price of the pier. DH dropped us all off with the luggage, parked, walked back. Reverse on return. BUT we had a huge problem, not with the lot, but with NYC traffic cops. For some reason, they were prohibiting cars from making a left turn to get into the pier from 12th Ave northbound. It delayed us by a whole hour! That's how long it took my poor husband to get from the lot 4 blocks away.

Park at the pier. Why ruin your vacation with a hassle on your return? I noticed in February that the police were not allowing cars to turn into the pier from 12th ave. northbound.

That happens almost every time there is a cruise ship in the port. you either have to go across 55th street or 59th street or up and under the highway and make a u turn.

We just cruised out of NYC. I reserved parking ahead of time at an ICONN lot I found on line near the pier. It was about half the price of the pier. DH dropped us all off with the luggage, parked, walked back. Reverse on return. BUT we had a huge problem, not with the lot, but with NYC traffic cops. For some reason, they were prohibiting cars from making a left turn to get into the pier from 12th Ave northbound. It delayed us by a whole hour! That's how long it took my poor husband to get from the lot 4 blocks away.

This is the very reason why I suggest to posters to get dropped off across the street. This is a common occurance. One time we were cruising with my parents who couldn't handle walking quickly across 12th ave with their luggage. So instead, the cab driver decided to go the long way from the Triborough, through the Bronx a short distance, and then onto the Westside Highway, southbound. It was a longer route in distance, but on a Sunday it took at least thirty minutes less time.

Has anyone taken a NJ Transit train to Penn Station and then a cab? We're thinking of parking at Metropark, taking the train to Penn Station , and then a cab. We were afraid that parking might be filled up at the pier. Then what do we do? How hard is it to get to the pier parking from the Lincoln tunnel on a cruise day?

• 3 weeks later...

My plan is to meet up with my sister on the day of and she will drop us off at the pier. She will take care of my car for the duration of my trip.

Upon return, since disembarkation is unpredictable, I will have her park my car and I will call her to find out where it's parked and have a cab take me there.

Just a thought for those who knows anyone in NYC

Archived