No premium cruise lines

AFuncruiser

Says Dennis. We all have our sense of standards but I love Celebrity and Holland America and will continue to have great experiences on both. And whatever one choose to call them, I simply understand that I enjoy cruises on both of the lines in question.

I am not one bit sad.

I'm just curious if Dennis heard something about industry categorization or some such thing. To my knowledge, most travel agencies still categorize Celebrity and HAL in the "Premium Cruise Line" category. Whether or not one agrees with that is one's personal choice, but the TA's that I know are still marketing Celebrity as a Premium cruise line.

But if this is just a personal opinion thing, well he's certainly entitled to his.

Cruiselines may not be at the quality they used to be, we all realize that, but Celebrity and Holland are still definitely a step above in quality, service, and class than any of the other lines. I don't care what anyone says. I've been on all of them, and these 2 are still a step above. :p

So sad...

Holland America and Celebrity cruise lines are not premium cruise lines any more!

Dennis

177 days at sea

21 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

Hi Funcruise :)

Why do you feel that way about Holland America?

So sad...

Holland America and Celebrity cruise lines are not premium cruise lines any more!

Dennis

177 days at sea

21 cruises

11 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific

and.... :confused:

I sometimes think that a one-sentence thread starter like this is done just to elicit conversation. Several questions arise: what is the posters definition of premium? To some, premium is Silversea, while to others, it might be HAL or =X=. The other question is, why does the poster feel this way? Personally, I think that =X= (and HAL, though I have not cruised them yet) would be classified as "premium." If I compare =X= to RC, NCL and Princess, the service received from =X= has been much better. Also, and call it marketing, but =X= seems to have a certain air about it that I don't get from the other lines I've cruised (I'm such an elitist). As to why the poster feels the need to make this statement, the answer to that is found in my first sentence. There isn't enough information given to support why he feels the way he does, so one wonders what it is really all about. I think it's a thread starter (or maybe sour grapes).

As for us, we can't afford the true "premium" lines (Regent, Silversea, et al), so I'm more than happy to continue to appreciate the "premium" experience that I get from =X=. And it has been premium.

There isn't enough information given to support why he feels the way he does, so one wonders what it is really all about.

I wondered too...thought perhaps his phone or doorbell rang and he signed off early on this post.

I also feel that we've had 'premium' experiences on our Celebrity cruises. :)

I sometimes think that a one-sentence thread starter like this is done just to elicit conversation. Several questions arise: what is the posters definition of premium? To some, premium is Silversea, while to others, it might be HAL or =X=. The other question is, why does the poster feel this way? Personally, I think that =X= (and HAL, though I have not cruised them yet) would be classified as "premium." If I compare =X= to RC, NCL and Princess, the service received from =X= has been much better. Also, and call it marketing, but =X= seems to have a certain air about it that I don't get from the other lines I've cruised (I'm such an elitist). As to why the poster feels the need to make this statement, the answer to that is found in my first sentence. There isn't enough information given to support why he feels the way he does, so one wonders what it is really all about. I think it's a thread starter (or maybe sour grapes).

As for us, we can't afford the true "premium" lines (Regent, Silversea, et al), so I'm more than happy to continue to appreciate the "premium" experience that I get from =X=. And it has been premium.

Hi Jt :)

I think you might be right that threads that begin with a one line post are intended to elicit an interesting discussion. If so, I don't think there is anything wrong with that, if it accomplishes this goal without any acrimony.

I personally would rather read a thread that discusses a cruise related topic from many different perspectives than read a thread that is an ongoing diary, which verbalizes every second from the time that poster left their house until they returned home after their cruise.

In my opinion, if someone doesn't enjoy discussions about a contraversial cruising topic they can just skip that thread the way I ignore rambling threads.

When using terms such as "premium" to define cruise lines, it's helpful to recognize that the industry itself has its own system of categorization. "Premium" is definitely the category in which Celebrity falls. "Luxury" is used to define Regent, Silversea, Seabourne, & Crystal. "Premium" includes Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara. "Mainstream" (also sometimes referred to as "mass market") includes RCI and Carnival. "Budget" includes NCL, MSC, and Costa.

Not everyone agrees with which lines fall within which categories, but that's generally the industry perspective.

Just my opinion, having taken Celebrity trans Atlantic last April, Holland America’s Christmas R/T Hawaii and Holland America trans Atlantic last month. In between I jumped on Carnival’s oldest ship out of Jacksonville twice last year. In my opinion Carnival’s cabin, beds and linen, table service and food are just as good as Holland American and Celebrity. Carnival’s entertainment is one of the best afloat. By the way it seems to me that Carnival ships are full of cruisers having a great deal of fun.

How do I choose a cruise line? Price and value…

Dennis

Just my opinion, having taken Celebrity trans Atlantic last April, Holland America’s Christmas R/T Hawaii and Holland America trans Atlantic last month. In between I jumped on Carnival’s oldest ship out of Jacksonville twice last year. In my opinion Carnival’s cabin, beds and linen, table service and food are just as good as Holland American and Celebrity. Carnival’s entertainment is one of the best afloat. By the way it seems to me that Carnival ships are full of cruisers having a great deal of fun as apposed to all the bitchin I hear from the elder frequent cruisers on the so called premium cruise lines.

Dennis

I choose a cruiseline by defining what is important to me.

Some people don't mind hearing announcements during day. I do.

Some people don't want the services of a sommenlier at dinner. I do.

Some people would rather not have their trays carried by a waiter (buffet). I like this added touch.

I could elaborate on this more, but it really comes down to what makes YOUR vacation special to YOU.

And as far as fun goes....you haven't travelled with us or our friends....we're fun!!

. In my opinion Carnival’s cabin, beds and linen, table service and food are just as good as Holland American and Celebrity. Carnival’s entertainment is one of the best afloat.

I keep seeing this on the HAL boad regarding Carnival food being actually really really good.

Some people would rather not have their trays carried by a waiter (buffet). I like this added touch.

quote]

If you are refering to Celebrity we never had anyone offer to carry our tray and we cou;d not find anyone ever (in the buffet) to get us any drinks either.

When using terms such as "premium" to define cruise lines, it's helpful to recognize that the industry itself has its own system of categorization. "Premium" is definitely the category in which Celebrity falls. "Luxury" is used to define Regent, Silversea, Seabourne, & Crystal. "Premium" includes Celebrity, Oceania, Azamara. "Mainstream" (also sometimes referred to as "mass market") includes RCI and Carnival. "Budget" includes NCL, MSC, and Costa.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We have been on Silversea, Oceania and Celebrity. Each is nice in its own ways! Silversea has the nicest standard cabin and wonderful service. Oceania's cabins are practically the same as Celebrity but they have no assigned seating and you dine when and with whom you please. The service was great but they are becoming more and more expensive. Celebrity has cabins as good as Oceania, also good food and nice service (at least several years ago, we are due to try again in a few weeks), and its pricing is more flexible, some very good last minute deals and fellow passengers were quiet enough. We don't think we will try Carnival and the like, probably too much "crowding", and therefore Celebrity is likely the best among the popular ships!

In my opinion Carnival’s cabin, beds and linen, table service and food are just as good as Holland American and Celebrity.

Hmm, seems a recent Carnival passenger felt differently:

Carnival will be the last cruise line we will ever again consider, the food was sub McDonalds too!

Dennis

Well Dennis I pick them the same way... but so far I'm not having to pay more for my cruises then I did several years ago despite the drastic increase in food and fuel prices. If I were to cruise on the basis of Price I would pick NCL because their cruises always seem to be priced the lowest on the basis of cost per day. However there are certain characteristics that I Value that certain cruise lines will charge for. I like the welcome I get when I'm handed my glass of champagne upon boarding, I value the offered help in the cafe, I value the limited announcements on Celebrity, I value the smile offered by practically every Celebrity employee, I value being able to order side dishes not on the menu.

Is Celebrity food superior to Carnival, RCL or Princess? The answer to that is too subjective and too variable from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

Does Celebrity provide a premium product compared to the alternatives? I've had my complaints about certain Celebrity actions, but I continue to find more bang for the buck or more value for the price offered by Celebrity than any other cruise line.

Eventually we all find the cruise product that satisfies us the most. We found ours on Celebrity, again and again and again.

Not everyone agrees with which lines fall within which categories, but that's generally the industry perspective.

Just an observation, but in my experiences the "premium" lines of Oceania and Azamara are quite a bit more expensive than X. X is comparably priced with (and sometimes less than) RCCL. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and I find that the mass market/mainstream lines (X included) all offer a similiar product, with some stronger in certain areas than others. JMO.

Just an observation, but in my experiences the "premium" lines of Oceania and Azamara are quite a bit more expensive than X. X is comparably priced with (and sometimes less than) RCCL.

That was Chandris' idea when he founded Celebrity Cruiseline- provide a premium product at mainstream prices.

I would be thrilled to retire this meaningless categorization. Differentiating the lines based on price point makes sense -- it is a concrete and objective criterion. Everything else is so subjective and ephemeral... The less we depend on labels or catch phrases, the more we will be enouraged (forced) to look at the real differences that will ultimately make a difference in our enjoyment of our vacations...

Does Celebrity provide a premium product compared to the alternatives? I've had my complaints about certain Celebrity actions, but I continue to find more bang for the buck or more value for the price offered by Celebrity than any other cruise line.

Eventually we all find the cruise product that satisfies us the most. We found ours on Celebrity, again and again and again.

Exactly, C 2 C. But your preference for X is because of the specifics mentioned; not simply because somebody decided that it was a "premium" line...

Archived