More Television Choices on HAL

MBeamTX

This will please the sports fans and others wanting more television options in their cabins. According to a September 20th HAL press release I found on their web site,

Holland America Line’s extended service debuts this month, and includes a new documentary channel with programming that varies based on the ship’s itinerary. For example, passengers embarking on a trip to Alaska can see the documentary, “Alaska's Natural Wonders,” which will provide them with a spectacular look at the 49th state’s majestic beauty ― all from the comfort and luxury of their stateroom.

In addition, ESPN will now be available in all staterooms, as will two new channels: one featuring Discovery Channel programs and another featuring recent and classic TV shows. Guests will also be able to view cooking demonstrations that take place in the ships’ Culinary Arts Center from the privacy of their own cabin. These new programming options complement Holland America Line’s existing in-stateroom offerings, including CNN, Boomerang, TNT and CNNfn...

With the enhanced programming options, Holland America Line will offer passengers more movie choices than ever before, with nine different movies every day on rotation on three different movie channels. Each channel will provide a different focus including comedy, drama and classic movies.

Enjoy,

Susan

Thank you for letting us know this. We were wondering how we would find out the Michigan - Michigan State score on the 30th of October. I still think that deep down my husband was crying about giving up our tickets to the game for the cruise. But now he will at least see the score if not the game.

Problem I noticed was that the ESPN they had was the South American version. Lots of soccer scores and very short on US sports. Now, this was last March on the Oosterdam during the NCAA basketball tournament and it was hard to catch the scores....South American version was not nearly as focused on March Madness as the US version. Maybe they've done something different with the feeds and have the US version now.

LWNBWLR -- We're with you on that one! HAL claims CNN will only give it a license for the international version of CNN, which runs the same tapes over & over every 24 hrs. FOX News Channel would be a much appreciated substitute, IOHO. :)

LWNBWLR -- We're with you on that one! HAL claims CNN will only give it a license for the international version of CNN, which runs the same tapes over & over every 24 hrs. FOX News Channel would be a much appreciated substitute, IOHO. :)

Ted Turner at his best. :rolleyes:

Yes, Fox would be a much better choice.

It's interesting that those who do not want Fox News vs. CNN feel the need to make sarcastic remarks about it while those who would like to see Fox News simply state their wish to see it as an alternative. It speaks volumes.

Personally I like to see the news as it is offered by the networks, CNN, Fox, etc. Since all media lends it's own perception to the news rather than simply offering the facts, I like to see all such perceptions along with commentary from many sources so I can make my own decision about what is the truth.

To shut out any one version simply because it does not agree with our own personal view is, IMHO, turning a blind eye.

Solve the problem.....throw all the TV's overboard! Short of the world ending I'm not the least bit interested in seeing what I'm escaping from in the first place. :)
Yesssssss! Back like it used to be wayyyyyy back when! I could get to like that again very quickly.

Yesssssss! Back like it used to be wayyyyyy back when! I could get to like that again very quickly.
Actually, I couldn't agree more:) . I'll never forget 1985 when we walked into our cabin on the Royal Viking Sea in the Mediterranean and I saw the TV. I was devastated because one of my favorite parts of cruising was having virtually no news at all for a week or more:p . No problem playing catch up on our return.

Solve the problem.....throw all the TV's overboard! Short of the world ending I'm not the least bit interested in seeing what I'm escaping from in the first place. :)

And if the world did end, either we'd definitely know it - or be the only survivors!

HAL should outfit a special group of inside cabins with TVs, the only TVs on board, and charge a premium for those who wanted them. THen those folks could watch the "news", sports or whatever without being distracted by seeing the ocean go by.....

:rolleyes: -dave

Be nice people. If you threw all the televisions overboard Ruth would have too much time on her hands and I could not afford the shopping bill.

St Thomas shopping is bad enough. I don't need an excessive shipboard bill too.

Jim & Ruth

I'm so glad that i'll be able to sit in my room and watch "The Christopher Lowell Show", "Welcome Back, Kotter" reruns and NASCAR races instead of having to go outside and look at a stupid old glacier again...

:rolleyes:

Be nice people. If you threw all the televisions overboard Ruth would have too much time on her hands and I could not afford the shopping bill.

St Thomas shopping is bad enough. I don't need an excessive shipboard bill too.

Jim & Ruth

Jim,

Haven't you heard? They're also adding HSN - HollandAmerica Shopping Network - to the channel lineup. You can buy jewelry and Waterford from the comfort of your cabin! :D ;)

Happy cruising,

Susan

Throw out the TVs, throw out the computers and the cell phones, get rid of the sports programs on the ship. Wonder what they did for entertainment on the Titanic?:p

There was this HUGE water slide that they played on just before the end of the cruise....

It's interesting that those who do not want Fox News vs. CNN feel the need to make sarcastic remarks about it while those who would like to see Fox News simply state their wish to see it as an alternative. It speaks volumes.

Personally I like to see the news as it is offered by the networks, CNN, Fox, etc. Since all media lends it's own perception to the news rather than simply offering the facts, I like to see all such perceptions along with commentary from many sources so I can make my own decision about what is the truth.

To shut out any one version simply because it does not agree with our own personal view is, IMHO, turning a blind eye.

Very well put, Heather. I definitely prefer FOX, but will switch to other news channels depending on the programming.

Here in Spain I tend to watch Fox more, though I have to turn off FOX & FRIENDS, Edie being the most irritating!

Also, does tend to be very right wing, fly the flag, us Brits are of no consequence or any others ,only those in the USA seem to interest Fox.

I find some of the comments ridiculous. It seems that some people feel that those who don't mind a TV in their room are going to spend the entire time watching Gilligan's Island reruns. Would I watch TV very much. No, but I don't mind having it while changing, (or waitin for DW to get ready). I also can't fall asleep unless I'm extremely tired. Watching TV for about 15 minutes while laying in bed at night is preferable to laying there for an hour and a half trying to fall asleep.

Archived