Going Nuts with Credit Cards

I have an MBNA (now B of A) Cruise Rewards card that paid 4% towards a cruise.

Then they lowered it to 3% (I think).

Then they were bought out by B of A, who lowered it to 2%.

Is there anything better currently available? So far everything I've seen is "points", not $, and once you do all the math, the points work out to anywhere from 0.5% to 1.5% cash towards a cruise.

The current 2% is OK, but it would seem that with competition, there should be someone out there offering a better deal.

From what I understand, one of the lines was offering 3%, but you had to book with them (RCL maybe?). I'd prefer something that was good anywhere, although if it was a good enough deal, a single-line card would be OK.

Anybody run into anything better?

Terry

The Crusei Line booking numbers for 2008 have just come in. 2008 is a record year, about 8% above 2007.

Advance bookings for 2009 are the strongest in the history of modern cruising. It appears that you will need to book many cruises at least one year in advance to get the cabin and itinerary you want.

Nearly every cruise this year has a wait list.

Next year will be even crazier.

Please explain again why competition would force cruise lines to make it easier or less expensive for you to take a cruise on ships that are already full????

Please explain again why competition would force cruise lines to make it easier or less expensive for you to take a cruise on ships that are already full????

Huh??:confused:

This has nothing to do with any cruise line. It's the bank coughing up money in exchange for me using their credit card.

The cruise line gets paid in cash, and has no idea I'm even using my points.

Terry

... and retailers/businesses are assessed 2-1/4 percent by banks/credit card companies for the privilege of accepting your plastic as payment. So, I can't imagine many programs out there anymore that will offer much more than 1 percent back in any form.

I have an MBNA (now B of A) Cruise Rewards card that paid 4% towards a cruise.

Then they lowered it to 3% (I think).

Then they were bought out by B of A, who lowered it to 2%.

Is there anything better currently available? So far everything I've seen is "points", not $, and once you do all the math, the points work out to anywhere from 0.5% to 1.5% cash towards a cruise.

The current 2% is OK, but it would seem that with competition, there should be someone out there offering a better deal.

From what I understand, one of the lines was offering 3%, but you had to book with them (RCL maybe?). I'd prefer something that was good anywhere, although if it was a good enough deal, a single-line card would be OK.

Anybody run into anything better?

Terry

Most cards that I see now are returning between 1-3% either in cash back or points that can be turned in for cash value discounts or credits of 1-2%.

If you are a big user of Sheraton/Westin you might consider the starwoods AMEX. A class 5 hotel can be had for 12-16K points/night and they offer 5th night free so for 48K you can get in some places a room that runs 900 bucks a night. If you are a big charger that credit/cash value is much higher then I've seen on most other cards.

Of course you can play the shuffle game and hope from card to card and get opening bonuses etc. And if you are a big corporate traveler you most likely are swimming in points and credits, more then you have vacation for. :D

... and retailers/businesses are assessed 2-1/4 percent by banks/credit card companies for the privilege of accepting your plastic as payment. So, I can't imagine many programs out there anymore that will offer much more than 1 percent back in any form.

My NCL B of A is currently at 3% and 4% through NCL.

I prefer just using Cap One rewards so I can get my flights paid for and not be restricted to certain cruiselines. No blackout dates or restrictions. Just a credit for the air we charge. Have our flights to Turks and Caicos in Jan. credited back. Nice and easy.

Archived