Is this a buy 2 get 1 free cruise deal?

Does it make $ sense to book a short cheap cruise for the main purpose of rebooking for a future expensive cruise while on board?

The short cruise is $1000 for 2 people including fares, tips, transport and some spending money….yes, it’s super low budget. The future 2009 cruise at today’s rate is at least $7000 for 5 in 2 rooms. Where can I find out what the usual discount or incentives for rebooking while on board? If I sail RCCL, can I rebook a future Celebrity cruise and still get the discount?

I figure if we spend $1000 now and be able to save close to that on the future cruise, it’s like getting an almost free short cruise out of the deal…..what an excuse to go cruising!! Do you think it’s a good or bad idea? Has anyone done this?

Does it make $ sense to book a short cheap cruise for the main purpose of rebooking for a future expensive cruise while on board?

The short cruise is $1000 for 2 people including fares, tips, transport and some spending money….yes, it’s super low budget. The future 2009 cruise at today’s rate is at least $7000 for 5 in 2 rooms. Where can I find out what the usual discount or incentives for rebooking while on board? If I sail RCCL, can I rebook a future Celebrity cruise and still get the discount?

I figure if we spend $1000 now and be able to save close to that on the future cruise, it’s like getting an almost free short cruise out of the deal…..what an excuse to go cruising!! Do you think it’s a good or bad idea? Has anyone done this?

While on HAL this December, we booked a cruise for this summer (which we have unfortunately already had to cancel). Our only incentive, that I can see, was we only had to put down a $100 deposit per person (which is now saved to apply to another cruise) and we got a small OBC.

And, even though HAL is owed by Carnival, the only cruiseline we could book on while onboard was HAL.

I have been following the pricing on this cruise, and I don't see where we really got any kind of pricing discount. But, this may vary by cruiseline; I don't know.

If you want the most accurate information, why not call the cruiseline directly now?

Call RCI for that info. I 've never heard of booking one cruise to get a greater savings on another. Generally the credit is only 100-250. You'll have to research that. Or go to the Royal Carib boeard and ask other posters. I'm sure they will have some info for you.

Actually this is an interesting idea that I’ve thought about doing on past cruises.

Check out the booking parameters carefully, particularly the cancellation policy, refund policy and price guarantee policy, before you book the on board cruise.

The discount that you receive on board can be substantial, often between 30 to 50 percent off the published brochure price – not of the advance sale price. The cruise lines usually offer their deepest discounts several months to a year or more in advance of sailing. So the large discount off the brochure price may in fact only amount to a few hundred dollars.

Most cruise lines will still give you the same cancellation policy as found in their brochure. So if you find a cheaper cruise on a different cruise line you can cancel and get a full refund if you cancel far enough in advance.

Most of the cruise lines will guarantee you the lowest price for the cruise you book even if the cruise you book (same cabin category, departure date etc.) comes on sale at a lower price later on. However, the cruise line might make it your responsibility to ask for the lower rate. Therefore, you will have to keep checking with the cruise line either on their website, through your travel agent, or by phone to find out if the price has gone down. Remember when comparing prices to get your past passenger discount rate.

Some of the cruise lines even protect the travel agent that you booked the original cruise through by paying the travel agent the commission for the cruise you book on board. Therefore, your travel agent will be more than happy to periodically check the price for you.

The advantage to the cruise line is that they get a confirmed booking and your money to use for several months.

Your advantage is you get the cruise and cabin that you want at a good discount way in advance of the sailing date with the ability to make changes if you need to.

The only disadvantage that I can think of is that you are giving the cruise line a substantial amount of money that you may be able to earn a good return on that could be used to offset the price of a future cruise.

Last year on Princess cruises they offered a program that guaranteed a discount on a future cruise booked within two years by putting down a non-refundable deposit. However, this program did not guarantee the price of the future cruise only the discount.

I haven’t booked a future cruise on board for three reasons.

One, I can leave on short notice, within two weeks if necessary. So I watch the major cruise discount sites such as http://www.*****.com They have a section on their site that shows the availability of last minute cruises sailing, departing within the next 3 months that are discounted by as much as 75%. All the major cruise lines are post on this site organized according to area sailed.

Once I’ve found the sailing that I like I check the price with the cruise line and with my travel agent(s). I check with the major cruise travel agencies because they often book large numbers of cabins on multiply cruise lines, for different sailing dates, several months to a year in advance, at a substantial discount because they pay in full at the time that they book the cabins. They can then offer the cabins to the public at a price that is often below the price one would get if purchasing the cruise on board. I then book with whomever has the best price.

I also like to use a travel agent to make the booking because they carry errors and omissions insurance and can also act as my advocate if something goes wrong.

Two, I’m not sure if the next cruise that I will take will be on the same cruise line. With the major cruise lines going to the same or similar ports, I like the flexibility of choosing the cruise line that has the best price at the time I’m ready to book.

Three, along with the discounts the cruise lines will some times offer deeply discount add on airfares that are not available if you book the cruise well in advance on board. The cruise line can often book the ticket much cheaper and with guarantees and amenities that I cannot get if I booked the airline ticket myself.

Last year I booked the airline ticket to Tahiti through Princess Cruises because the cost of the airline ticket was half the price that I could find by booking it myself. This was a savings of over $1,000.00 per person The price also included transfers from the airport to the overnight hotel, the overnight hotel and transfers from the hotel to the cruise port, a value of over $400.00 per person. As well, if our flight had been delayed in Vancouver or Los Angles, Princess Cruises would have looked after us and covered our costs for catching up to the cruise. A few years ago Carnival Cruises book our airfare for less than the best price that I could find including one extra day in advance of the cruise and one extra day at the end of the cruise in Miami, 4-star hotel, and all transfers. I estimated the value at over $300.00 per person.

Four, in Canada our package tour operators also sell cruises. Although they often do not offer the full selection that the cruise line(s) have, they often have much better prices for the cruises they offer especially if you consider that their price includes the cruise, charter airfare and transfers. The package tour operators also offer great last minute sales when they want to sell their inventory. Like the large block bookings made by the specialty cruise agencies the package tour operators have negotiated deeply discounted prices with the cruise lines. As well they have negotiated deeply discounted rates with the charter airlines and transfer companies. They have committed to pay for these seats and cabins even if they cannot sell them. So during shoulder or low seasons they often sell these cruises with airfare and transfers at their cost price. I’ve booked cruises with the package tour operator for less the best price that the cruise line is selling the cruise for. In addition the package tour operators price includes the airfare and transfers and overnight hotel if needed for free.

To answer your question, is it a good idea to by a cheap, short cruise in order to get the on board booking discount? – The answer is probably yes for the scenario you proposed but probably not if compare apples to apples –two people on the first cruise and two people on the second cruise. You probably will not save close to the entire $1,000.00. You probably would save at least the cost of the cruise fare only. However, if you book two cabins for five people you may save as much as a couple of hundred dollars per person which could be close to the full $1,000.00. Therefore you could say that you are getting a free cruise for two if you are paying for all five people in the future

But, if you can wait until closer to your departure date you might get a much better price on the cruise and the other amenities that you need then if you booked in advance on board. However, if you need to book in advance and want a specific cruise line, itinerary and cabin the next best price will probably be obtained by booking on board the cruise.

:D

No, you cannot book Celebrity to get the incentive while cruising on RCCL. I tried that last year :D! I did a "next cruise" deposit for the $200 OBC. I know that our next cruise will be 14 days or longer. Unfortunately, it didn't work out with RCCL and I booked with NCL. I still have a long time to use that next cruise deposit, so I am not worried! Now, there's an excuse to go cruising!

Thanks for sharing your tips. In the past I've saved 10% off cruise fares and also received $250 on-board credit while rebooking on a Disney cruise. I was thinking other cruise lines offer about the same incentives. I didn't realize other lines offer reduced deposit or $100-200 OBC is the norm. Guess we won't take the short cruise in hope to save on rebooking. I just called RCCL, the agent confirmed I can only rebook another RCCL cruise and not on Celebrity. They really should change that rule! They're the same company...aren't they? :D

Thanks for sharing your tips. In the past I've saved 10% off cruise fares and also received $250 on-board credit while rebooking on a Disney cruise. I was thinking other cruise lines offer about the same incentives. I didn't realize other lines offer reduced deposit or $100-200 OBC is the norm. Guess we won't take the short cruise in hope to save on rebooking. I just called RCCL, the agent confirmed I can only rebook another RCCL cruise and not on Celebrity. They really should change that rule! They're the same company...aren't they? :D

That is weird. We were able to book a Celebrity Cruise while we were on our voyager of the seas cruise last month. We ended up not doing it but the option was there with all the same ammenities as if we were booking RCI. They just had to use a different form or something like that. Personally, I think you got some wrong information.

I sailed on the Celebriy Century just a few weeks ago and I was told by the Future Cruise Sales Manager that I could put a deposit of $100/pp for a future cruise and receive an OBC when I actually booked my next cruise. I was told that this deposit could be transferred to RCCI sailing and that I would receive the OBC just as I would have on a Celebrity cruise. When I called today to make the transfer, I was told that I could transfer the deposit, but I would not receive the OBC. Apparently, the rule is that if you transfer your deposit, you do not receive the OBC. If you put a deposit down while on Celebrity you receive an OBC based on the cost of your next Celebrity cruise. I will list the scale below for you. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cruise Fare OBC (per stateroom)

$0-$2499 $50

$2500-$3999 $100

$4000-$5999 $150

$6000-$7499 $200

$7500+ $300

The OBC list that you give from Celebrity is interesting. You can do MUCH better by using a high volume cruise travel agent. In the economy we are in now, I wouldn't think of taking those insignificant credits.

Archived