New York Hotel Recommendations

vie lee

We are doing a New Endland/Canada cruise on Oct 19th. Sailing from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal on the Caribbean Princess. We would like to fly into New York on the 18th. See a broadway show that night and then get on ship next day.

Problem: We know NOTHING about the New York Area. Can anyone Recommend a hotel for us.

Flying into JFK.

Thanks,

Vie Lee

The key point you made is that you want to see a Broadway show so I would encourage you to go to a hotel in the Times Square area. There are a number of good threads on this board that can suggest a good hotel depending upon the amount you are able to spend.

I'm going on that same cruise earlier in the month. A great choice would be the Mariott Marquis, which is right on Times Square. Within walking distance to Broadway theaters and always bustling, so always safe. During the days its also within walking distance of Rockefeller Center, museums, and shopping (5th Ave., Macys). Also no problem getting a cab (or a taxi, there's a station right at Times Square). I've stayed there a few times. Another hotel I've stayed in about a block off Times Square is the Westin Times Square; also a great hotel. I love staying in the Times Square area; a great place to get a feel for the hustle and hubbub of New York, New York.

The Edison is a very nice tourist class hotel at Times Square, just off Broadway on 47th (actually runs through the block to 46th, right across that street from the Mariott Marquis). You might also check out a group of brand name hotels (ie Comfort Inn, Super 8, etc) all in midtown Manhattan, several in the immediate Times Square area, in a group called Applecore hotels -- I think you can see them at applecore.com

David

For all your good information. I just posted on my Roll Call that I know nothing about New York and almost feel like I an visiting a foriegn land.

Very excited about this cruise because we are leaving from New York. Maybe I will just take my government money (husband's too) and spend it helping the economy of New York, like shopping and a broadway show. :p

Vie Lee

For all your good information. I just posted on my Roll Call that I know nothing about New York and almost feel like I an visiting a foriegn land.

Very excited about this cruise because we are leaving from New York. Maybe I will just take my government money (husband's too) and spend it helping the economy of New York, like shopping and a broadway show. :p

Vie Lee

Yeah $600 should get you two seats to a Broadway show. Welcome to the Big Apple....:D

Your right about the price of show tickets but what made me really laugh is the fact that here in Cedar City in the Summer we host the Utah Shakespearean Festival. Outstanding productions (3 Shakespeare 3 Broadway) and the people around here REALLY complain about paying $46.00 for Orchestra seats.

Now I would like to see a broadway show to see if $300 really buys you more than $46.00...:D

Vie Lee

You don't have to spend $300 to see a Broadway show unless you plan to go through one of the ticket agencies on line. You can order direct or call direct to the box office or ticketmaster. Most shows are about $100 for orchestra seats.

In addition to the hotels mentioned above, check out The Belvedere and The Novotel. Both in Times Square, which by the way, is very safe these days. It's close to the theater and all the restaurants, including Restaurant Row on 46Th street.

You can do very well getting tickets to a Broadway show without paying full price.

TDF operates two TKTS Discount Booths in New York City

1. The Times Square Booth sells day-of-performance tickets only.

2. The South Street Seaport Booth sells tickets to evening performances on the day of the performance, and matinee tickets the day before.

TKTS accepts only cash, travelers checks or TKTS Gift Certificates. Both locations sell tickets at 50%, 35%, and 25% off full-price (plus a $3.00 per ticket service charge, which helps support other TDF services and programs). Availability and ticket inventory change throughout the day and at the discretion of individual productions.

Locations, Hours, and Transportation

Times Square

South Street Seaport

Temporary location at the Marriott Marquis Hotel during the renovation of Duffy Square: West 46th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue

Hours:

For evening performances:

Monday - Saturday: 3pm - 8pm

Sundays: 3pm until one-half hour before the latest curtain time being sold

For matinee performances: Wednesdays and Saturdays: 10am - 2pm Please note: no evening tickets are sold from 10am to 2 pm at Times Square.

Sundays: 11am - 3pm

Public Transportation:

By subway:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, N, R,W, A ,C to Times Square

At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

Hours:

For evening performances: Monday - Friday: 11am - 6pm

Sundays: 11am - 6pm

Closed on Sundays beginning January 21

Matinee tickets are sold the day before at South Street Seaport: Monday - Friday: 11am - 6pm

Saturdays: 11am –7 pm

Sundays: 11am - 6pm

Public Transportation:

By subway:

J,M,Z,2,3,4,5 to Fulton Street A,C to Broadway-Nassau

By bus from Midtown:

M15 downtown on 2nd Avenue to South Street Seaport.

TDF is great if they happen to have tickets for the show you want to see. If you have one particular show in mind, and really want to see it, then you have to order tickets in advance for it.

I actually belong to TDF and can get tickets on line in advance, but they don't have every show or every date and you have to be willing to sit wherever they have the ticket availability. It's a very good deal.

I don't recommend using TKTS.

That's great for people who live here or come here often, or are here on an extended stay. With TKTS the show they want may not be available, or there might be seats up in the "nose bleed" section.

Vie Lee, if you want to go to a Broadway show, buy your tickets now. Go to Playbill.com or Tickets.com

They will charge you a service fee.

Your big regret will be staying only one night here. If possible, you should really book two nights.

WOW! what a great find to stay at this truly classic hotel. Will bobby short be at the piano?

The OP is heading to NYC in PEAK season (Labor Day through New Years Day) and the Algonquin rooms will be at least $500 a night.

She'll be lucky to find anything under $300 a night that time of year.

I highly suggest taking a look at The Park South Hotel. It is my favorite boutique hotel in the city and usually very reasonable.

It is in Murray Hill which is a lovely residential neighborhood a half block from the Lex line so transportation around Manhattan is very easy.

I've used BroadwayBox.com with success. Once you've chosen and paid for the available shows at discounted rates, they send you an e-mail with a bar code, which you print and bring to the theater and they then scan you in like at the grocery store. What could be easier? The Milford Plaza Hotel also is a good choice a block from Times Square. Check out NYC. com for hotel choices. The site includes maps, reviews, prices and photos. I agree with previous post that one night is not enough in New York. Add a few if you can afford the time and $$$$. You won't regret it and the old notion that there is a mugger waiting on every corner is just not true of NYC anymore. There is a strong police presence everywhere in the tourist areas above and below ground and this gives one a safe secure feeling. Go !

Why is Oct a peak season in New York? I just assumed that summer would be their peak, and with the weather being colder, heading into winter, October would be their low time.

That's just my luck, getting to visit New York when every thing is going to be expensive.

Vie Lee

Archived