Los Angeles Cruise Terminal for Regent

CruiserPK

With the exception of the Carnival ships, all others dock at the Cruise Ship Terminal located in San Pedro. If you are not too familiar with the Los Angeles area, this is near the end of the 110 freeway running north to south. It's an easy drive to the LAX airport, but traffic can be heavy at times.

You can book most airlines up to 330 days out from your travel days....

Rickey,

Thanks for the port information. I did know I could book flights 331 days out. My problem is what time to book the flight. I am not sure if we can make it to LAX from the cruise terminal for an 11:30 am departure. Since we live on the east coast, we would like to get one of the morning flights and not the evening overnight (red eye).

Cheers, Pam

What time does your ship dock and do they offer self disembarkation, and are you willing to carry your own luggage?

I was in the gate waiting for our flight(had a couple of hours to spare) in less than an hour from the time we got off the boat when we were there in Jan. But everything went right, we got off the ship first, was on one of the first shuttlebuses to LAX, the traffic was light as it was before 8AM on a Sat, and we cruised right through security.

Any one of those things could go wrong and trip you up. So the answer is yes, it is easily done, but things could go wrong.

That is the Sunday after Christmas and before New Years.

Customs & Immigration in San Pedro can be VERY slow, esp if there is more than one ship in port. We have had cruises where we did not get our luggage until after 11AM, even when we were traveling with people with international flights leaving early.

There will be a LOT of people traveling and delays at LAX will be the norm rather than the exception. It can take some time to get to your terminal and through security. On the other hand, your flight is likely to be delayed, but I would not depend upon it. Take a flight leaving after 1PM or spend the night and go the next AM to be on the safe side.

Splinter, Our cruise starts in Ft. Lauderdale and ends in LA on the 12th of January (Monday). So, with that information would you still suggest an after 1:00pm departure from LAX? My husband and I are quite fit and would plan to be the first off the ship.

Cheers, Pam

Frankly, the earliest I would book a flight would be noon. You just don't know how the disembarkation process can go (on our last cruise which was on a Jan.6), with only one other ship in port that day, it started very late. Fortunately we were being picked up for our drive back home and were in no hurry.

Then you have to deal with the infamous 405 traffic getting to the airport. From my experience with driving between the Valley and West LA for years, the last two weeks of the year are often very light. But that's if there are no accidents or cars stopped by a chippie. Around the airport it could still be pretty busy with people leaving town or getting back from a holiday trip with relatives.

When going to the pier, tell your shuttle or taxi driver to take you to the Port of L.A. (San Pedro). Not the Port of Long Beach (unless Regent tells you you're leaving from LB from the Carnival berth).

Do CA locals feel it's easier to fly from Long Beach or Ontario instead...just to avoid LAX and the traffic, or is that not possible?

Thanks!

:)

Long Beach is closer to the cruise terminal, but only has limited flights going out and not on all airlines.

Ontario would not be a good option as it is much further from San Pedro, with heavy traffic.

Ontario is way over in San Berndo or Riverside counties. The best options are LAX (because of the variety of flights, airlines) and Long Beach (if the airline you want flies out of there). OC (John Wayne) could be a possibility, but you're adding to the commute time. Burbank isn't a direct route and is to be considered only if you're going to be spending time at Universal and Hollywood. That's the closest airport (other than Van Nuys) to me, but I have never used it.

Ontario is way over in San Berndo or Riverside counties. The best options are LAX (because of the variety of flights' date=' airlines) and Long Beach (if the airline you want flies out of there). OC (John Wayne) could be a possibility, but you're adding to the commute time. Burbank isn't a direct route and is to be considered only if you're going to be spending time at Universal and Hollywood. That's the closest airport (other than Van Nuys) to me, but I have never used it.[/quote']

Thanks!

I was thinking of Orange County/John Wayne/Santa Ana (which I believe are all the SAME place, right?), not Ontario - OOPS! :o

I can get decent flight times in and out of Long Beach, so I think I will try that.

We are leaving out of San Pedro, so I hope there will be no issues with getting to a Hotel in san Pedro from LGB, and then to the cruise port from the hotel.

Looking at Doubletree and Crown Plaza, in San Pedro, I guess. :confused:

I read somewhere to try Priceline for these, so that's an option too!

Thanks!

Archived