Air-inclusive arrangements - when???

capegranny

We're on the Summit sailing next Dec. 26 and have included air. We're Captain's Club so should have custom air. I'm concerned that we don't yet have anything from Celebrity. When our TA has asked, the response is that the airlines haven't yet released seats to the cruise line. Meanwhile, I'm looking at the flights from Boston to San Juan filling up! Can anyone tell me what we should expect? Also, there are others in our family, also on this cruise and including air arrangements but not qualifying for Custom Air. We know that they don't receive notice until 60 days before the cruise. Any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile to pay the $75/person for them to have custom air? Does it make a difference? The week after Christmas is likely to be a busy time from the northeast into P.R.

Thanks for whatever info you can give me.

Celebrity's Custom Air Dept. tells you that your flights can be booked up to 8 months in advance when using custom air, but that wasn't the case with us. Our TA worked for several months with Custom Air and was told that the contracts with the airlines were not set yet. We finally got our flight arrangements (pretty close to what we had requested) in January for our May cruise to Alaska (leaving from Charleston, SC to Vancouver and then returning from Fairbanks to Charleston).

Also, several years ago we traveled with our son and daughter-in-law to Alaska and the only way we could assure we would travel together was to book custom air for them too (at that time $50 per person - which was worth it to us). At that time we had our confirmed reservations in October for the following May cruise. I don't know what has happened to change that for the current times.

Good luck to you and I'd suggest that you be persistent with your TA to keep trying to get the airflights scheduled as soon as possible.

Carolyn

The Celebrity Site says you can book up to 11 months in advance.

" With Custom Air Arrangements, you can plan your air schedule up to 11 months in advance of sailing."

Find the flights you want.

Call your TA, tell her what

ones you want.

She calls the cruise..they will

say..yes or yes but it will cost you extra.

That is if the price is more than they will pay

for the cruise flights.

Yes custom air is free.

I just did this for one in Nov and Dec b2b.

They gave me what I wanted, no charge.

Plus I needed one-way fares bcause it was

a b2b and they usually cost more.

Did it once before, got it.. no charge.

So call your ta , tell her to try again.

Good Luck

I agree with Belle's suggestion. When I book custom air, I pick the flights that I want and ask the cruise line for their price on those flights so that I can compare prices from them vs. from the airline.

If flights are available for sale now through the airline, Celebrity should be able to tell you what their price will be for those flights. Then you'll know if it's worth it for those who have to pay for custom air to book via Celebrity or directly with the airline. You could do custom air and the others book directly, and if you can get an answer from Celebrity now, it will increase your chances of all getting on the same flight.

I can understand your concern with flights for Dec. 26th....if you aren't getting anywhere with Celebrity, and their regular air prices aren't a bargain, I would be tempted to cancel Celebrity's air and do my own arrangements.

Good luck. :)

Yeah, we know what the site says and Celebrity also told us back in February that they'd have things in "a few more weeks," but nothing yet. TA is being quite persistent. We found the flights that are suitable but the cost is much more than what we've been charged with the cruise line. I suspect the problem is with the airlines, all of which seem to be in chaos right now. Just trying to learn if anyone else has had better success. Thank you all so much for your suggestions and thoughts.

Did you request a price from Celebrity on specific flights? (I wasn't sure if you were waiting on that, or waiting for them to tell you what they had to offer?)

Regular air for our upcoming cruise was a great price through Azamara. When I requested custom air (I told them the flights that I wanted) I thought it would add to the price, but was very lucky to get the exact flights I chose at no extra charge. I could not have come close to that price with booking on my own. It really speeds up the process if you can give them specific flight info...if you don't succeed with your first choice, keep trying. (My apologies if I've misunderstood your posts and this is what you've already been doing.)

Agree that the airline chaos probably isn't helping.:(

I called the Captains Club and asked for custom air. I had booked through a TA so they couldn't do anything official but they did talk with me. I told them the flights I was interested in and they gave me a yes that was possible and the projected increase in cost. Then I called my TA and told her. She then put in a request and a couple of days later it was confirmed. The reservation was not ticketed for several months but it was on a courtesy hold and had a record locator. When I had that I called the airlines frequent flyer number and had the reservation tied to my account. I was then able to pick seats etc. It was on hold for several months and finally (6 weeks before the cruise) it showed ticketed.

Yeah, we know what the site says and Celebrity also told us back in February that they'd have things in "a few more weeks," but nothing yet. TA is being quite persistent. We found the flights that are suitable but the cost is much more than what we've been charged with the cruise line. I suspect the problem is with the airlines, all of which seem to be in chaos right now. Just trying to learn if anyone else has had better success. Thank you all so much for your suggestions and thoughts.

Have you checked Jet Blue prices? They just opened up booking thru January. You might be able to get cheaper flight on your own and fly a day earlier. Just a thought.

We are flying 12/21 for the cruise on Connie from Boston to FLL and still very expensive airfare from jet Blue is still cheaper that X air. YOu can hold cruise line airfare till the fianl payment and if you don't find cheaper air, go with the cruiseline air. Plus for that tima a year I always get insurance.

Archived