More Airlinre Baggage Allowance Cutbacks

captainron

American airlines has just announced that effective May 12th they will charge an extra $25.00 for the 2nd suitcase. So all of the airlines will eventually follow this if they have not already.

Marilyn

American airlines has just announced that effective May 12th they will charge an extra $25.00 for the 2nd suitcase. So all of the airlines will eventually follow this if they have not already.

Marilyn

I had heard this also, but can't find a thing about it on the AA site anywhere.

Toto I know but this a.m,. found a news article in our local newpaper and they just reported it on T.V. I think it starts effect May 12.

Marilyn

Toto I know but this a.m,. found a news article in our local newpaper and they just reported it on T.V. I think it starts effect May 12.

Marilyn

Yes, I heard it on the news, and also googled it and found the info posted online, but nothing on the AA site. Just wondering if I was missing the section on the AA site that has info on it. Seems they haven't updated the website yet. Maybe later today they will. ;)

I believe the airlines and the cruise lines are there to make money. If they were all losing money we wouldn't be flying/ cruising at all. Either a fuel supplemant or a baggage charge, I personally prefer to fly with an airline that has deep pockets. I like to 'feel' as though the mechanics are probably being paid well.

I believe the airlines and the cruise lines are there to make money. If they were all losing money we wouldn't be flying/ cruising at all. Either a fuel supplemant or a baggage charge, I personally prefer to fly with an airline that has deep pockets. I like to 'feel' as though the mechanics are probably being paid well.

I agree, I think right now it is a fuel issue. More bags/heavier bags more cost to the airlines. However, I have now heard on US Airways that they are going to start charging and extra $5.00 if you want a window or a isle seats or on preimum rows like the exit row. I think people just don't like to "see" the extra charges.

This may be another push toward less and less formal nights, which has been a growing trend over the last several years.

Maybe an extra charge for formal night

Paying for drinks at the Captains and past guest parties

If I'm reading the notice on the Air Canada site correctly this will go into effect for anyone traveling on or after July 15th. However, if you book before May 15th, regardless of when you travel, you will be covered under the old rules. I'm booked for a flight in September but since I have already booked I can still check two bags without the additional fee. I have printed off a copy of the notice to take with me just in case their staff doesn't know this:rolleyes: .

Here's the link to the info on the Air Canada site.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked_n.html

wow, how lucky are you going all those cruises, im lucky if i can afford one a year lol. Its a wonder your not overweight as i put on ten pounds over two weeks just there in Nov, and i am working on my diet now so i lose what i put on there, but im going to lose a bit more so that i can afford to put it back on again and eat alot more than i did last time, as i want to really enjoy the cruise this time, as holidaying is all about eating , drinking and being merry lol

I'm so excited. Just confirmed with Continental, who has changed their checked baggage policy as well, and because we booked our flight for Nov in Feb 08 the change will not affect us. That means we can check 4 bags, but do need to be mindful of the less than 50 lbs rule. Whew! Our flight is our return from a 14 day Panamanian cruise. Didn't think, even with laundering 1/2 way, that we could make 14 days in two bags. At least not with formal clothing.

Maybe an extra charge for formal night No, there will be an extra charge to be dressed casual on formal nights.

Paying for drinks at the Captains and past guest parties Pay for colored water?

See above

I agree, I think right now it is a fuel issue. More bags/heavier bags more cost to the airlines. However, I have now heard on US Airways that they are going to start charging and extra $5.00 if you want a window or a isle seats or on preimum rows like the exit row. I think people just don't like to "see" the extra charges.

Next there will an extra charge to book two seats together. No more sitting with your spouse or child without paying a premium for the pleasure.

Next there will an extra charge to book two seats together. No more sitting with your spouse or child without paying a premium for the pleasure.

Actually, there are airlines now that do not allow you to choose yoru seats ahead of the flight. And then there is one I know of that you have to pay more if you wish to choose your seats. So, you aren't too far off with this comment.

It won't kill the cruise industry.....people need to be more reasonable on how much they bring.

The 75 bags will be checked as their 2nd bag.......with the fee.

It seems reasonable in light of the fuel crisis.......it costs the airline 1/3 as much to haul a 50 lb bag as it does to haul a 150 lb person. Baggage is weight........weigth on airplanes........bad.........not good.......;)

Uh oh...will a surcharge on overweight passengers be very far behind????:eek: Get out your cottage cheese now!

Here you go Toto. There's a link on the baggage page (upper right hand side) that takes you to updates. Here's the link to those updates.

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?p=/utility/041208_CheckBagFee.jsp

wow, how lucky are you going all those cruises, im lucky if i can afford one a year lol. Its a wonder your not overweight as i put on ten pounds over two weeks just there in Nov, and i am working on my diet now so i lose what i put on there, but im going to lose a bit more so that i can afford to put it back on again and eat alot more than i did last time, as i want to really enjoy the cruise this time, as holidaying is all about eating , drinking and being merry lol

We're retired so we have the time to take more cruises now and I've decided it's cheaper to take longer cruises then a bunch of shorter ones. We just have to budget really well and make sure we stay within that budget. So far we haven't been too far off. I do gain weight and we are a bit over weight but I'm working on that too. My DH and I go to the gym almost every day when we are home so the extra is coming off. Now I just need to make sure we don't over eat on the cruises and continue to go to the gym to keep it off. I'm like you when I cruise I love the food and I tend to drink a bit more than I do at home so we'll see:) .

Thank You cactusrose, so it finally showed up? Great, I just read it. Was just wondering also about the flights we booked for Janauray last month. But it seems we will still be allowed to take what we are used to (without paying extra or chancing it might be on a different flight then ours)as we booked before the cut off date.

Appreciate you posting the link, many thanks!

Scary isn't it to think our future safety cld be in the hands of someone who is a tad annoyed he/she isn't paid enough or is someone not really 'top notch' in their field but cheaper to hire...ahhhhh!!!

Actually, there are airlines now that do not allow you to choose yoru seats ahead of the flight. And then there is one I know of that you have to pay more if you wish to choose your seats. So, you aren't too far off with this comment.

Guess we will all have to get used to much higher costs in the future for everything.

Actually the cost of food (& later water) worries me more than flying or even cruising..

Scary isn't it to think our future safety cld be in the hands of someone who is a tad annoyed he/she isn't paid enough or is someone not really 'top notch' in their field but cheaper to hire...ahhhhh!!!

And..... as we used to say in the Army.... Remember.... our weapons were built by the cheapest bidder. :eek:

....Commencing sometime in June or July I believe, they will follow United's lead and restrict you to one piece of checked baggage with 50lb limit. Additional bags may be checked for $25 per. That should just about kill the cruise industry unless they negotiate higher baggage allowances for their pax with the airlines.......

The North American airlines are just catching up to the Aussie / NZ / European airlines that have stricter limits on checked bags and carry on bags.

We North Americans just haul too much junk on vacation. Just how many pairs of shoes and other paraphernalia do we need :D

I was glad to see that the flights already booked on AA will not be restricted to 1 bag, so we are safe for our 1/09 flight. I guess after that we'll either have to pack lighter or pay for extra bag(s). I can pack for the two of us in 3 suitcases for a 2 week cruise, but would have a very difficult time fitting everything in 2 suitcases. I really don't like doing laundry on a cruise and since it usually costs to do so it may be worth it to pay for an extra bag. Also we would need to take 2 carryons instead of the usual 1 carryon.

My daughter just booked her honeymoon flight to Tampa with Airtran and they also are implementing a charge for the second bag effective mid-May. Their charge is only 10.00 for the second bag though, which is pretty reasonable.

we2cruze-Yep, booked our AA flights for that very reason last month. Wanted to get the flights purchased before the change. I don't mind paying for an extra bag, that isn't all that much. But if I can book a month earlier than I had planned on and get to check the normal baggage amount, then you bet I will do it. ;)

14 day cruise, even though we do get free laundry and dry cleaning, always means having enough of those extras to make the stateroom feel like home to us. Only Two checked bags for two of us means no extras, just clothes, and I enjoy making our stateroom friendlier with the extras I bring along.

Archived