More Airlinre Baggage Allowance Cutbacks

captainron

Hi Folks,

Well it didn't take long for the useless "Air Clunk" as we Canadians often call Air Canada to follow United's lead on the one checked bag with weight limit.

Commencing sometime in June or July I believe, they will follow United's lead and restrict you to one piece of checked baggage with 50lb limit. Additional bags may be checked for $25 per. That should just about kill the cruise industry unless they negotiate higher baggage allowances for their pax with the airlines.

To me all they are doing is creating a safety hazard, for more and more of the "beat you down the aisle" idiots will be trying to pack their additional 75lbs in the overhead bins.

Well it just means that the smaller airlines who have not changeed will get my business. Yeah for Westjet and as far as Air Canada is concerned "*0^4&900-^$#" (fill in what you wish!!!

Ciao for now!!!

Yeah for Westjet and as far as Air Canada is concerned "*0^4&900-^$#" (fill in what you wish!!!

I couldn't agree more! A couple of years ago I had a client in Halifax that I basically commuted to two weeks out of the month for 8 months. Living in northern Vermont it made more sense for me to drive 2 hours to Montreal and take a non-stop flight into Halifax. The first couple of trips I use Air Clunk...errr...Air Canada. What a horrible experience! Late flights, downright rude employees, it was a mess. I switched to WestJet after that - they were great! I will gladly fill in your blank about Air Canada with several colorful metaphores :)

Like I keep saying, next they'll be installing pay toilets on board

the airplanes.:D

OMG!!! 4Cats.... I hold you personally responsible for the wine all over my monitor that I spit out laughing at your comment!!

BTW... die-hard cat lover here. My 12 year old Hymmie-Persian sends his best >^..^<

Commencing sometime in June or July I believe, they will follow United's lead and restrict you to one piece of checked baggage with 50lb limit. Additional bags may be checked for $25 per. That should just about kill the cruise industry unless they negotiate higher baggage allowances for their pax with the airlines.
Isn't that a little extreme? Kill the cruise industry?

If I'm reading the notice on the Air Canada site correctly this will go into effect for anyone traveling on or after July 15th. However, if you book before May 15th, regardless of when you travel, you will be covered under the old rules. I'm booked for a flight in September but since I have already booked I can still check two bags without the additional fee. I have printed off a copy of the notice to take with me just in case their staff doesn't know this:rolleyes: .

Here's the link to the info on the Air Canada site.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked_n.html

To me all they are doing is creating a safety hazard, for more and more of the "beat you down the aisle" idiots will be trying to pack their additional 75lbs in the overhead bins.

It won't kill the cruise industry.....people need to be more reasonable on how much they bring.

The 75 bags will be checked as their 2nd bag.......with the fee.

It seems reasonable in light of the fuel crisis.......it costs the airline 1/3 as much to haul a 50 lb bag as it does to haul a 150 lb person. Baggage is weight........weigth on airplanes........bad.........not good.......;)

We travelled from Australia to Canada on Air Canada last year - we have always had 20 kilo limits on bags and have NEVER gone over. We had to pack coats and heavy weight stuff - coming from Australian summer into Canadian/Alaskan early spring was a huge shock to our systems. If you buy lightweight luggage its amazing how much stuff you can fit in them. We are travelling Air Singapore in about 5 weeks and they also have 20 kilo bag limits. My luggage going over will be about 8kilos but coming back will be close to the limit. We go every couple of years and buy loads of clothes and shoes there as its so cheap. It will definitely not kill the cruise industry. People just have to not overpack. Mummsie

It seems reasonable in light of the fuel crisis.......it costs the airline 1/3 as much to haul a 50 lb bag as it does to haul a 150 lb person. Baggage is weight........weigth on airplanes........bad.........not good.......;)

It would be more reasonable if passenger weight + luggage weight had a total allowance.

It costs no more fuel to haul a 150 pound person with two 50 pound suitcases than a 200 pound person with one 50 pound suitcase.

Hi Folks,

Ciao for now!!!

Exactly right. That's a going to be a major problem with the new baggage limit.

Even more passengers will be schlepping full sized garment bags and suitcases on board.

The new rule would be a lot more acceptable if airline personnel required passengers to conform to the posted carryon limits. But they don't now, and won't in the future.

It sure would be nice to have some overhead bin storage space that's not taken up by oversized luggage!!!:mad:

We are going for 17 days and am happy to report that as of this morning we are still allowed two 50lb bags per person plus the carry on. I don't expect to take 100 lbs. of luggage eachy but will probable end up with one large suitcase and on small one per person or six total for the four of us. Let's hope that things don't change between now and June.

It would be more reasonable if passenger weight + luggage weight had a total allowance.

It costs no more fuel to haul a 150 pound person with two 50 pound suitcases than a 200 pound person with one 50 pound suitcase.

This has been my arguement all along...................limit a passenger to lets say 300 lbs. total.............combining body weight and luggage weight........a 100 lb person can then have 200 lbs of luggage and a 300 lb person in SOL:p

Hey cactusrose, I tried that printing out the policy notice for a similar situation recently and was basically told what I could do with that piece of paper when I got to the airport. :eek: Don't count on that working for you after the policy changes.

Hey cactusrose, I tried that printing out the policy notice for a similar situation recently and was basically told what I could do with that piece of paper when I got to the airport. :eek: Don't count on that working for you after the policy changes.

I agree with cactusrose on this one. This is what that link states, which would cover anyone booking before the cut off date.

IMPORTANT:

Following baggage allowance applies to customers:

• <LI class=font13>Who have booked on or after May 15, 2008
  • Who are traveling on or after July 15, 2008

If you are traveling before July 15, 2008 or have booked before May 15, 2008, please see the previous Baggage Allowance.

[quote name='Stevesan;14441851

It sure would be nice to have some overhead bin storage space that's not taken up by oversized luggage!!!:mad:

I TOTALLY agree with you. It really gets to me when these people don't want to stand in line to get their luggage so they bring a carry on that usually has to be checked anyway since it is too big to fit in the overhead compartment. And it also gets to me when people use the overhead compartment above OUR seats to put their carry ons in then when we wanted to store something my husband had to look high and low for someplace to put ours. So now we don't take any carry ons' date=' we just check everything except our camera. [/b']

Personally, I love Air Canada, I travel with them at least once a year, and never had a bad flight yet. They may not always be on time, but I travel the night before the cruise and I have always arrived safely and with my luggage. The $25 will not affect my once a year cruise at all and I will pay for the second bag instead of not going without the stuff I like. If money is an issue, I will just do my own manicure instead of having it done at a salon for $25.

Personally, I love Air Canada, I travel with them at least once a year, and never had a bad flight yet. They may not always be on time, but I travel the night before the cruise and I have always arrived safely and with my luggage. The $25 will not affect my once a year cruise at all and I will pay for the second bag instead of not going without the stuff I like. If money is an issue, I will just do my own manicure instead of having it done at a salon for $25.

Have happy cruisin'!!

They are really cracking down on weight too. I consider myself to be a pretty light packer and do laundry half way through the cruise, but The same luggage we packed and took with last year was over weight by 3-4 pounds and they were going to charge us the $50.00.

I pulled out the bag of shampoo and deodorant etc. that I used to put in my carry on, and I was back under the limit, but we travel quite a bit and have never been stopped before.

This seems to be a world wide thing now! We are traveling to Corfu in 2 weeks time and the airline XL have reduced their allowance to 15kgs or 33lbs as have many other operators, we are due to travel in November to Miami with BA who still allow 2 @23kgs on long haul for now.

I agree with you airlines have to stop nickel and diming us . Their air prices -especially from Canada with all those taxes are RIDICULOUS .Now they want more???

Bad enough I have to schlep food for us because they don't serve any .

On cruises you need a lot of stuff due to not so predictable weather from cool.to cold to warm to hot -and YES I have had all 4 on many cruises .This not counting gowns and suits for formal nights .I also happen to like to dress differently every night

Cruise lines should pressure airlines to be more lenient with cruise customers 2 bags each is really not too much

Let us not forget not all cruise lines have free laundromats or any laundromats at all

I personally prefer longer cruises so I need my stuff

Why should I pay more /

The truth is probably that they are using that passenger luggage space for Cargo therefore more $$$$

Perhaps cruiselines can offer more air inclusive voyages with 2 bags per person free

I actually look fot these regularly and some companies do offer it

There's a thought....

Archived