what should hubby wear

Bow ties with regular suits tend to look...how to say... kinda nerdy and professor-ish. :p I'd say any dark suit with a white shirt and colored tie would be great. A black tie would look too "funeral," and a tie matching your dress would be too "prom." :)

Also for the tie I would say a nice muted pattern would be best for the ensemble. Anything flashy or loud or garish would just look bad.

For a nice accent though a folded linen handkerchief could be added to the suit's front pocket as a pocket square.

Hi, I just got a navy almost floor length gown for a formal and I'm wondering what hubby should wear. He's got a nice black suit. Do we do a white shirt with a tie that has navy in it? or can you do a bow tie if its not a tux?

Thanks

Yes, you can do a bow tie but you have to be very very preppy or chic to pull this look off. The Mayor of Charleston, South Carolina, Joe Riley wears bow ties all the time and I think he looks terrific in them as do many men in the south.

Also, it needs to be a real bow tie that you tie and not a clip on.

My hubby has a nice black 3pc suit that we pair up with a white shirt and box tie. It really looks like a tux. We've actually had people think that it was a tux. I think it can work with some suits. Depends on the style of the suit.

Just to quickly set the record straight, a black suit with a black bow tie does not equate into a tuxedo.

A tux is set apart, at the very least, by a satin lapel and stripe on the pants.

A tux & a suit are two very different creatures.

Archived