Interactive TV?

UtterCaro

Caro .. you're right, it would be good to be able to check your account occasionally. And, with today's technology (and the fact that it is available on other lines), the only reason for not having it must be that Princess doesn't want folks to know how much they're charging ... so that they'll continue charging!!

Only a few cruise lines offer interactive TV to check acount balances.

1. It costs millions to install. Who is paying for it?

2. It doesn't work very well on ships. When I worked for RCI, it was constantly crashing and prompting even more complaints than usual.

3. It doesn't update very quickly. Often the balance listed on the TV screen is not the real balance - prompting more complaints.

4. As mentioned already, it can constantly remind you how much you have spent. Ships that have interactive TV have much lower revenues than ships that do not.

Caro .. you're right, it would be good to be able to check your account occasionally. And, with today's technology (and the fact that it is available on other lines), the only reason for not having it must be that Princess doesn't want folks to know how much they're charging ... so that they'll continue charging!!

I have stayed at some very nice hotels, and not one of these has this feature. Just because other lines have it doesn't mean that every line has to have it or that their technology is better then other lines. It is that Princess chooses not to have it. When I have stayed on a line that has had it, it has been down more often then up and when it was up, it wasn't accurate. I don't blame Princess for not wanting to deal with this.

When I have stayed on a line that has had it, it has been down more often then up and when it was up, it wasn't accurate.

I sure agree with this. I looked forward to the ineractive TV on one of our Celebrity sailing. It was down for the entire cruise. Next sailing, looked forward to it again, as before, it didn't work for the entire cruise. I asked about it and was told they were having problems with it AGAIN.

It showed me why Princess doesn't offer it, as it seems they have more trouble with keeping the Interactive TV up and running then anything else onboard.

Sure, it sounds like a great feature, but if they have to constantly be working on it, I am sure it runs into big bucks over time to keep it functional.

Archived