Packing Tips

dyanalee

If all else fails, I will have to do that. I will be able to tell according to how wrinkled it is when we do our unpacking. Since one of the formal nights is the second day at sea, I imagine there will be many sending their suits and dresses to the cleaners for pressing! ;)

This is true. By the time you get the garment bag, lug it, buy the Downey Fabric stuff...eh, just send it out. Have a great cruise! ;)

This is true. By the time you get the garment bag, lug it, buy the Downey Fabric stuff...eh, just send it out. Have a great cruise! ;)

LOL, I like your way of thinking! ;)

Have a great cruise also! :)

............the men at our table all wore a sports coat and shirt and tie for smart casual night, so my husband did not want to feel out of place. We will have to see how the men dress on the Dawn in July. I just don't want him to feel like the odd man out, if you know what I mean!

It's good to see other people that like to dress for dinner. But, I think you'll find that Alaska is a lot more casual than many itineraries.

Another hint in packing a garment bag. Put all your clothes in a plastic laundry bag, or the bag the suit came in. Then, although it doesn't seem right, pack as much as you can into the bag. If everything is tight, there is less movement of the objects in the bag, and therefore less wrinkling.

It's good to see other people that like to dress for dinner. But, I think you'll find that Alaska is a lot more casual than many itineraries.

Another hint in packing a garment bag. Put all your clothes in a plastic laundry bag, or the bag the suit came in. Then, although it doesn't seem right, pack as much as you can into the bag. If everything is tight, there is less movement of the objects in the bag, and therefore less wrinkling.

You are so right about packing the bag tight. You would think it would be worse. The dry cleaner bags are great, especially if you keep the garment on a wire hanger. Makes unpacking a breeze when all you do is hang it up.

Jan

So when you say Alaska is more casual, would a smart sweater and slacks be ok for him for a non formal evening in the Dining Room?

i just fold my suit into suitcase in a cleaners (plastic)bag just as it came from cleaners

believe it or not, no wrinkles/creases

do the same with shirts just leave them on hangar in cleaner bag foldem over, done pakin

they dont get creased up

dont know why but it works

i just fold my suit into suitcase in a cleaners (plastic)bag just as it came from cleaners

believe it or not, no wrinkles/creases

do the same with shirts just leave them on hangar in cleaner bag foldem over, done pakin

they dont get creased up

dont know why but it works

The dry cleaner bags are awesome aren't they? I pack like you do and unpacking is great isn't it?

Jan

Wrinkles can also be caused if you live in a very humid climate. The fabric absorbs the moisture and then you fold it and squeeze it into a suitcase for hours and then the climate changes and all those folds turn into wrinkles or creases. I live in a humid climate and on some days it is more humid than others. If I have to pack on a real humid day, I know I'm in for wrinkles no matter how carefully I pack.

I'm with those who say send it out for pressing.

................would a smart sweater and slacks be ok for him for a non formal evening in the Dining Room?

Yes! You may want to take a sport coat too, just in case your table mates dress that way. That's up to you. We are going on the Dawn in June, and I will take my tux, a suit, and sports coat, although I seldom wear a tie with the sports coat.

Archived