Packing Tips

dyanalee

With the luggage restrictions now in effect, I have a question about packing my husbands suits. Do they get all wrinkled in the suitcase? My things are lightweight and not heavy, but suits weigh alot more. I would not think of checking a garment bag, I have seen how they toss luggage around, lol.

We pack a suit or a dress into one plastic bag-- even a trash bag works.

We aslo bring downy wrinkle release IF wrnkles dont come out right away.

to date-- never had to sprinkle it== and the bags worked wonders

We pack a suit or a dress into one plastic bag-- even a trash bag works.

We aslo bring downy wrinkle release IF wrnkles dont come out right away.

to date-- never had to sprinkle it== and the bags worked wonders

For our last cruise in March, I tried every store I could think of to find that wrinkle release and no one carried it. We did find a small bottle on the ship but it didn't work for my one outfit that got wrinkles in it. Since we have a while before we go to Alaska, I am going to look again. We always carried my husbands suits on in the cleaner's bag but they were also hand carried on by us and we didn't have to pack them in a suitcase. Oh well, if they get wrinkled, I can follow Toto's answer and just have them pressed on ship.

For our last cruise in March, I tried every store I could think of to find that wrinkle release and no one carried it. We did find a small bottle on the ship but it didn't work for my one outfit that got wrinkles in it. Since we have a while before we go to Alaska, I am going to look again. We always carried my husbands suits on in the cleaner's bag but they were also hand carried on by us and we didn't have to pack them in a suitcase. Oh well, if they get wrinkled, I can follow Toto's answer and just have them pressed on ship.

If you happen to live somewhere that you just can't find it, the only suggestion I can make is to ask someone on your roll call to pick up a small bottle that might be driving to the port. There are usually several that don't have to worry about flights and weight limits that are willing to do this for another passenger. Exchange cabin numbers and then meet up onboard and you can pay them for it then. Just an idea.

You say 'suits', are you packing more than one? My husband packs his tux with 2 shirts. Usually send them out that first day on board for pressing so that it is back in time for formal night.

Jan

Yes, my husband would not wear a tux for love nor money. He DID wear one when our daughter got married but would never wear one on a ship, so I take him two suits if there are two formal nights. For Hawaii I took three, but then we drove to the port to get on the ship so it wasnt a problem.

You don't need to find that wrinkle releaser. A sprayer bottle and simple water will work just as well. I do it all the time.:D Pack the spray bottle empty and fill it when you get there. Another solution is to hang your suit/dress on the door in the bathroom and turn the hot water on in the shower. The steam from the shower will take out the wrinkles. Also, when packing, use either tissue paper or plastic bags to reduce wrinkles.

You don't need to find that wrinkle releaser. A sprayer bottle and simple water will work just as well. I do it all the time.:D Pack the spray bottle empty and fill it when you get there. Another solution is to hang your suit/dress on the door in the bathroom and turn the hot water on in the shower. The steam from the shower will take out the wrinkles. Also, when packing, use either tissue paper or plastic bags to reduce wrinkles.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will try that spray bottle with water in it here at home just to see how it works. :)

Yes, my husband would not wear a tux for love nor money. He DID wear one when our daughter got married but would never wear one on a ship, so I take him two suits if there are two formal nights. For Hawaii I took three, but then we drove to the port to get on the ship so it wasnt a problem.

Have you ever thought of taking just one black suit? That's all my husband needs for any cruise, no matter the length, and we take long ones. Two tux shirts and their accessories should serve him well and you won't have to worry about space. Or, dress shirts and ties if he doesn't want to wear the formal stuff.

Pia

Have you ever thought of taking just one black suit? That's all my husband needs for any cruise, no matter the length, and we take long ones. Two tux shirts and their accessories should serve him well and you won't have to worry about space. Or, dress shirts and ties if he doesn't want to wear the formal stuff.

Pia

I think for our upcoming Alaskan cruise he will have to resort to one suit, although it won't be black, he hates black, but he has a dark blue one and with a different shirt and tie that will do. He has many shirts and ties that he can wear on smart casual days. Just like women like to wear something different on formal nights, he also likes a change in suits, but my outfits are much lighter in weight then a suit. ;)

Dyanlee;

To save space and weight I rent a Tux for formal nights. This has worked well on several cruise's. Rented Tux comes with two shirts.

Now I have more room for my blender, coffee post, portable Bar-b-Q, Iron, duct tape, and boxed Wine.:D

Bob

I think for our upcoming Alaskan cruise he will have to resort to one suit, although it won't be black, he hates black, but he has a dark blue one and with a different shirt and tie that will do. He has many shirts and ties that he can wear on smart casual days. Just like women like to wear something different on formal nights, he also likes a change in suits, but my outfits are much lighter in weight then a suit. ;)

Dyanalee....this is Princess, not HAL or Celebrity or Crystal. He will not need shirt/tie for what you refer to as "smart casual." Ties are out; casual is in. :D As for female formal nights, one pair of silk pants or gauchos with several different tops, makes for lots of different outfits.

Pia

If you are still interested in the Downey Wrinkle Release Spray, I Googled it and ordered some online. Got two big bottles and a "free" travel size. Just a suggestion.

That's a GREAT idea, I didn't even think of that. Thank you so much! :)

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I will try that spray bottle with water in it here at home just to see how it works. :)

Depending on how wrinkled an item is, you may need to smooth out the wrinkles with your hands after spraying.:)

Dyanalee....this is Princess, not HAL or Celebrity or Crystal. He will not need shirt/tie for what you refer to as "smart casual." Ties are out; casual is in. :D As for female formal nights, one pair of silk pants or gauchos with several different tops, makes for lots of different outfits.

Pia

When we were on the Diamond in March to Hawaii, the men at our table all wore a sports coat and shirt and tie for smart casual night, so my husband did not want to feel out of place. We will have to see how the men dress on the Dawn in July. As for me, I am just bringing a pair of black crepe pants and several tops, they are light weight and won't weigh anything. I don't really worry about my clothing, I just don't want him to feel like the odd man out, if you know what I mean!

Dyanlee;

To save space and weight I rent a Tux for formal nights. This has worked well on several cruise's. Rented Tux comes with two shirts.

Now I have more room for my blender, coffee post, portable Bar-b-Q, Iron, duct tape, and boxed Wine.:D

Bob

Except for the fact that my husband would never wear a tux, the rest of your ideas sound like something that he would do. Can you imagine bbq'ing out on your balcony and making those nice drinks in the blender, and some GOOD coffee in the morning instead of going down to the Horizon Court and bringing it back to the room?? Cool idea! :D

i found the trick to that wrinkle releaser stuff....the first two times i used it i was not pleased with the result...but the third time i got the garment alot more saturated with the spray and then tugged on the hems...worked great! just remember to do it the night before you want to wear it!

Beverly

Try packing it in a plastic suit bag. It does help.

But it the wrinkles don't fall out after it hangs in the closet, just send it out for press only. Simple answer.

I go along with Toto. Why worry about wrinkles? I just send the suit out to be pressed when we board. Doesn't cost much at all. :D

I go along with Toto. Why worry about wrinkles? I just send the suit out to be pressed when we board. Doesn't cost much at all. :D

If all else fails, I will have to do that. I will be able to tell according to how wrinkled it is when we do our unpacking. Since one of the formal nights is the second day at sea, I imagine there will be many sending their suits and dresses to the cleaners for pressing! ;)

Archived