Who doesn't drink any alcohol at all on a cruise?

flagger

Hi Fireguy,

My wife and I live in the northern part of Charlotte (an area called University City). We've been in Charlotte for about 15 years and would be more than glad to answer any questions you might have about the area. You can e-mail me at jahmondu@aol.com and I would be delighted to attempt to help you. I'm retired, so we're probably near-contemporaries, and I may have some insights into Charlotte as a potential retirement location.

Allen

To be honest I have never cruised and not had wine with hubby at dinner. But the next cruise may be the first. I too found that near daily headaches were "cured" when I stopped drinking wine 6 months ago. I didn't drink wine everyday but I got a headache everyday. I feel so great that this may be a permanent change.

Miss my precious vino, but think I can cruise happily without it. Nice to get encouragement from others too! :)

I loved Charlotte. we lived there for just over two years down near Pineville.

That area is still growing very quickly. Charlotte is now up to almost 600,000 people, yet doesn't compare to Atlanta as far as traffic problems are concerned. Charlotte is big enough to have almost anything you want, yet not large enough to be a nightmare.

Another good thing about Charlotte and many other East Coast locations as the cruise lines keep expanding their ports, we are now close enough to Jacksonville, Charleston SC, Norfolk VA, and Baltimore MD, so that it's very easy to drive down on one day and board the ship on the next. In fact, we're doing just that in two days. We'll leave Charlotte Friday afternoon for a 4-1/2 hour drive to Norfolk, and then board the Horizon the next morning for an 8-day Bermuda cruise. We did the 14-day Constellation Baltics cruise on July 31. We tried to drive to London, but the car got so wet we were forced to turn back.

Webecruisin' - we're practically neighbors, I'm in Greensboro. Please let us know how your Bermuda cruise turns out. Have a great time:D and say "hello" to my friends in Norfolk. That's where we lived (well, in Virginia Beach) until 3 1/2 years ago. I worked in Norfolk and really miss my job there.:(

WeBeCruisin' -- I'm not sure exactly where the Holiday Inn on Military Highway is. :confused: If it's close to Military Circle Mall (which I think it is) there are typical chain restaurants in that area like, Outback Steakhouse, Lone Star, Darryl's and Bennigan's that you will easily see just by driving to the hotel. That is an area that I didn't really go to too often. There are nice little bistro type restaurants in the Ghent area of Norfolk, but they are a little far from Military Highway. Norfolk is fairly spread out. I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I just can't think of anything right in the immediate vicinity that is a "must eat at" restaurant. :(

Enjoy the cruise :D - please let us know how it goes.

Also a friend of Bill!

I have friends who argue with me when I tell them I don't drink.

They'll say things like, I am sure you were having a good time when

we were out.....I am sure you were havin' a few, that night!!?

NOPE! I have come out of the fog and come into my own and I can be

as relaxed as those who have had a bottle of wine, but I drive home!!

Hi

My hubby and I never drink but when we go on a cruise he gets a few beers and I get a few of those little frozen drinks but it just totally amazes me as the number of people who just can NOT go on a cruise without getting totally "drunk" every day of their cruise? They have NO idea what they did or how they went to Carlos & Charlies(think that is the name of it) and managed to get back on that ship on time and safely??WOW! This just blows my mind! They even brag about their escapades?

Petoonya - I, too, love wine, but unfortunately I feel lousy after just one or two drinks so I just stopped drinking in general. If I have anything, I can tolerate hard liquor better than beer or wine, but even then, one is about all I can handle.

It's never stopped me from having a good time.

Thanks, Elaine! We'll have our car with us, so if we get in early enough, we'll maybe drive over and check out the Ghent area for somewhere to eat. We'll be leaving the car at the Holiday Inn while we're gone and they provide free parking and a free shuttle to the pier. The Hilton wanted more for the room and we would have had to pay our own way for a taxi to the pier. Of course there may be a reason the Holiday Inn is cheaper. LOL.

Shangrilq, I know exactly what you mean about Carlos and Charley's. A few years ago, my wife and I went with another woman for a week in Cancun. Our friend wanted to go to Carlos and Charley's and Senor Frog's. We went and were amazed at the bacchanal which was taking place. Unfortunately, this was in March, and there were a lot of Spring Breakers there, too. If nothing else, though, it was "interesting" entertainment. Even the guy who did sketches of the patrons was groping our friend. Unfortunately, she had had so much to drink that she wasn't even aware of it. I've never been in the Carlos and Charley's in Cozumel, but I hear it's pretty wild, too, and seems to be the highlight of the cruise for many people. We've walked past it at 11:00 a.m. and they appeared to be going strong even at that early hour. Oh well, to each his or her own. At least in the Celebrity Martini Bars people aren't dancing on the tabletops.

Funny, on three X cruises, have yet to see any one drunk. Then of course since we don't drink, we aren't in the bars.

I go on my third Celebrity cruise in two days, and I can honestly say I haven't seen anyone drunk either, and I HAVE been known to occasionally frequent bars. I've never been on Carnival, but I've heard their shorter cruises (less than a week) can get pretty rowdy with Spring Breakers and a much "younger" crowd. The longer the cruise, usually the more sophisticated and older the passengers. Maybe that's because the longer cruises cost more and people with a tendency to get drunk may not be able to take two weeks at a time off work from MacDonald's ( okay, so that's just a little bit mean) but I may find out this week when I'm on an eight-day cruise to Bermuda. We leave tomorrow afternoon for Norfolk and depart Saturday afternoon at five. I'm psyched!

AllenJ,

Why I think you are correct on some of your points on people who drink Socially and responsibly there are just as many if not more people who dont. A good majority of those do believe the only way to have fun is to be on the way to being loaded and many of the booze postings here prove that point. Also recovery is for those who want it not those who need it. Because if all those who needed showed up at my AA meetings we would need to have the meetings in football stadium. Do you think if I posted in a Booze thread telling ppl they had drinking problems they would not bash me? I never offer my advice or give my experiences with drinking/quiting drinking to anyone unless they ask me I am breaking that now. With your history of drinking problems in your family to offer your incite is admirable but to those of us who have 1st hand personal knowledge of this disease because it is a part of us.... sorry but you dont really know what its like knowing a drunk and being one in recovery gives one a touch more incite.Many people can function very well for a long period of time being heavy drinkers but in the long run they crash be it physically, mental, emotionally or financially and their families pay the price for there fun that has turned into a nightmare. Now all people on who drink on cruise do not fit into this but some do there are also many who are alcoholics they just dont know it yet. For people who are in early recovery cruising might not be a good place to be with out a good network of support. I am very luckey that I no longer have a desire to drink and I might could get away with 1 drink on a cruise. But I am not willing to risk it because I know what misery it will eventally bring to me and those i love. I wish you many happy cruises and the very best life has to offer. Like I said people who like to drink do not bother me at all I mean look what cruise line I cruise:D I

Allen, I agree with you one-hundred per cent and I admire your strength and courage to be successful in your recovery! Cheers! (oops) My middle son is 35 now and has been clean and sober for almost three years, but he says there is hardly a day that goes by where he doesn't think about drinking. My oldest son is 40, and has just acknowledged his problem and is currently attending AA meetings and is doing very well. He doesn't want to reach the low that his younger brother did a few years ago. My youngest son just turned 32 and seems to have dodged the genetic bullet.... so far. I have my fingers crossed. My mother died 20 years too early and never did acknowledge or seek treatment for her alcoholism. One of the main reasons my wife and I travel so much is that my mother, who was an English teacher, always talked about going to England to visit Shakespearean sites, but she kept putting it off until it was either more convenient, or she could better afford it, and then BOOM, she was a chronic alcoholic, was confined to a wheelchair with crippling arthritis, and had emphysema so bad that she was hooked up to an oxygen tank. In fact, the last time I saw her before she died, she had me wheel her out to the front porch of the nursing home where she unhooked her oxygen and had a cigarette. She died about a month later of the emphysema. I'm 63 and in wonderful health, but I'm traveling all I can while I can. You never know what the future will bring.

Allen

AllenJ,

I wish your sons the best in their pursuit of staying sober. Like i said I dont ever tell tell people who like or enjoy an occassional drink to stop. I only worry about me drinking;) . Thats a full time job.

I was not being judgemental here by any means of anyone who chooses to drink. However those who do drink felt they needed to invade a post about who DOESN'T drink. I wonder why that is. Ya'll have posts about the best martini maker, the best bartender, and triple/quadruple digit bar bills boasted like some badge of honour. Why not let us who do or did not drink have a little thread as well?

Are all non-drinkers non-tippers as well?

The bartenders have to expend about the same amount of energy making my tutti-frutti whatever-it-is -- whether or not they put booze in it -- so I tip accordingly (same as if it DID have alcohol).

Archived