Hepatitis E outbreak on P&O liner-BBC News

G.M.T.

Here is the link - could be serious:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7375255.stm

Ron

Dear Blu Donau.

I have already read a report of the above outbreak in another story.

Your report mentions passengers who were taken ill had in fact

caught the virus by consuming contaminated food and drink whilst

onboard "Aurora".

Unless you have conclusive information/evidence

relating to the above, I find this thread to be very damning to the

P & O Company, and to the staff and the crew of "Aurora" who

I feel sure could do without this type of adverse publicity.

Regards

Rockin Daddy

Dear Blu Donau.

I have already read a report of the above outbreak in another story.

Your report mentions passengers who were taken ill had in fact

caught the virus by consuming contaminated food and drink whilst

onboard "Aurora".

Unless you have conclusive information/evidence

relating to the above, I find this thread to be very damning to the

P & O Company, and to the staff and the crew of "Aurora" who

I feel sure could do without this type of adverse publicity.

Regards

Rockin Daddy

Rockin Daddy,

Let us get the fact straight.

1) It is not my report but that of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation Web Site).

2) It is NOT my job to provide conclusive information/evidence as you requested.

3) I did NOT make any comment either about this incident or about P&O or it's staff.

4) Why shoud adverse publicity not be made public? These forums are not just for good news.

5) I find your statements somewhat strange to say the least. If you have problems with this article then do not take it up with me as I was only the postman, but take up directly with the BBC.

Ron

Here is the link - could be serious:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7375255.stm

Ron

I have just posted this on the CC forum

"This has been blown out of the water on another board by someone on the world cruise when it happened. (BBC are well up to date then). The illness was picked up by some people eating ashore in the far east.

So the story is old and wrong."

This may not be a forum just for good news, but when the bad news is a load of *************** it should be blasted.

BTW on the cruise Aurora wen through the stringent testing in the US and came out with 100% clear record.

Oh sorry I forgot no good news.:D

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Good on ya Dai!!!

I was on Aurora from SFCisco to Auckland. The stringent tests you mention were done in Honolulu and the Captain was very proud to announce the results.

In November we were on the Oriana and there were quite a few "closed" cabins due to the Norovirus and that was scary as none of us wanted to miss out on our holiday.

At least on this cruise, it was the case that passengers ate something ASHORE- it wasn't anything on board.

We have had 2 or 3 letters from P&O making us aware of the situation - they have done everything they could to alleviate any fears.

This topic should be closed now as its really boring!

Caryl

I have just posted this on the CC forum

"This has been blown out of the water on another board by someone on the world cruise when it happened. (BBC are well up to date then). The illness was picked up by some people eating ashore in the far east.

So the story is old and wrong."

This may not be a forum just for good news, but when the bad news is a load of *************** it should be blasted.

BTW on the cruise Aurora wen through the stringent testing in the US and came out with 100% clear record.

Oh sorry I forgot no good news.:D

Dai

The cruise in question ended 29th. March so how can it be old news!!!

How can this be a load of **************, when the incident actually happened.

Lots of ships have received 100% in the CDC VS Program and shortly after have been hit by various health problems.

Ron

The cruise in question ended 29th. March so how can it be old news!!!

How can this be a load of **************, when the incident actually happened.

Lots of ships have received 100% in the CDC VS Program and shortly after have been hit by various health problems.

Ron

We are now in May!!

This happened halfway through a 90 day cruise

Thats 3 month ago

Thats out of date.

The infection did not occur on the ship!!!!

Therefore why bring it up here apart from trying to stir things up:mad:

:):)Happy Aurora Cruising:):)

Dai

We are now in May!!

This happened halfway through a 90 day cruise

Thats 3 month ago

Thats out of date.

The infection did not occur on the ship!!!!

Therefore why bring it up here apart from trying to stir things up:mad:

:):)Happy Aurora Cruising:):)

Dai

So this is old news REALLY?

Happened 90 days ago REALLY?

People infected weren't passengers on the ship REALLY?

Reality a NEW case was confirmed YESTERDAY which is NOT 90 days ago but ONE day ago, also results are being awaited on a woman in New Zealand now that is REALITY. Also why are 1800 passengers be checked??

How can presenting the facts, where the health and safety of people should be paramount, be stirring things up???

Here is a nice little report:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/01/cruise-ship-passengers-hit-by-hepatitis-e-89520-20400763/

Ron

Reality a NEW case was confirmed YESTERDAY which is NOT 90 days ago but ONE day ago, also results are being awaited on a woman in New Zealand now that is REALITY. Also why are 1800 passengers be checked??

How can presenting the facts, where the health and safety of people should be paramount, be stirring things up???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/2008/05/01/cruise-ship-passengers-hit-by-hepatitis-e-89520-20400763/

Ron

Ron

From Rockin Daddy

Regarding my reply to you,

I was going to apologize to you tonight for the remarks I inadvertently

made about the above.

From the comments made by you today, now confirms to me that you appear to be agitating some anti feeling towards P & O who in my opinion are on to a hiding for something they have not in fact done.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Fort Lauderdale/Panama Canal/Vancouver

somewhat of an anti-feeling towards P & O who in my opinion are on to

a hiding for something they have not actually done.

Ron

Ron

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

From the comments made by you today, now confirms to me that you appear to be agitating some anti feeling towards P & O who in my opinion are on to a hiding for something they have not in fact done.

Ron, I find this episode very sad indeed.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

I would like to ask one question. Why on earth are P&O being slated for people consuming food and drink off-board in countries contaminated with Hep E?

According to the World Health Organisation ((http://www.who.int), Hep E is transmitted via the faecal-oral route. Hepatitis E is a waterborne disease, and contaminated water or food supplies have been implicated in major outbreaks. Consumption of faecally contaminated drinking water has given rise to epidemics, and the ingestion of raw or uncooked shellfish has been the source of sporadic cases in endemic areas. I am sure that P&O did not use any contaminated food or water or all the passengers and crew would be infected, not just a point of a percentage of all on board!

It’s a shame that the press are such scare mongers, and an even grater shame when the public love to promote a little misfortune. Maybe Blu*Donau should buy a scythe to help with spread of ‘good’ news!

I would like to ask one question. Why on earth are P&O being slated for people consuming food and drink off-board in countries contaminated with Hep E?

According to the World Health Organisation ((http://www.who.int), Hep E is transmitted via the faecal-oral route. Hepatitis E is a waterborne disease, and contaminated water or food supplies have been implicated in major outbreaks. Consumption of faecally contaminated drinking water has given rise to epidemics, and the ingestion of raw or uncooked shellfish has been the source of sporadic cases in endemic areas. I am sure that P&O did not use any contaminated food or water or all the passengers and crew would be infected, not just a point of a percentage of all on board!

It’s a shame that the press are such scare mongers, and an even grater shame when the public love to promote a little misfortune. Maybe Blu*Donau should buy a scythe to help with spread of ‘good’ news!

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

I am certainly not agitated or have any anti feelings towards P & O, they have had a long and lustrious past and I hope that continues in the future.

If you go back and read my messages, I have not mentioned that the illness was caught on the ship or made any mention of P & O.

What agitates me is when told that this is old news that happened over 90 days ago and should be brushed under the carpet, whereas it is a current news story that has been carried in newspapers, wire services and web sites TODAY.

I also find it a sad episode, whereby people cannot accept the truth especially about an illness that could prove fatal.

When I posted my original message the only comment I made was that "this could be serious", I said tthat because I had read up on Hepatitis E just before posting the message.

What I do not like is being told literally to shut up, stop rocking the boat and not to post any bad news. Every member has the right to post messages on CC so long as they do not insult or harress other members.

If I find more news on this item then I will post it.

Ron

PS. Your message was posted 5 times, any significance in that?

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

I am certainly not agitated or have any anti feelings towards P & O, they have had a long and lustrious past and I hope that continues in the future.

If you go back and read my messages, I have not mentioned that the illness was caught on the ship or made any mention of P & O.

What agitates me is when told that this is old news that happened over 90 days ago and should be brushed under the carpet, whereas it is a current news story that has been carried in newspapers, wire services and web sites TODAY.

I also find it a sad episode, whereby people cannot accept the truth especially about an illness that could prove fatal.

When I posted my original message the only comment I made was that "this could be serious", I said tthat because I had read up on Hepatitis E just before posting the message.

What I do not like is being told literally to shut up, stop rocking the boat and not to post any bad news. Every member has the right to post messages on CC so long as they do not insult or harress other members.

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

When I posted my original message the only comment I made was that "this could be serious", I said that because I had read up on Hepatitis E just before posting the message.

Ron

Ron,

From Rockin Daddy

made about the above.

Rockin Daddy

Island Princess-2009

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

Rockin Daddy,

Ron

And 5 to you so that is 5 all and rocking daddy to serve.

BTW

I still cannot see the relevance of the posting.

There was an illness on board, P&O kept everyone informed. The illness was contacted on shore.

Are you trying to say do not go ashore in developing countries where this is endemic, I believe that people have been warned in general about only drinking bottled water, not having ice and not eating salads. If you want to remind people of this then say so.

P&O have acted properly in this matter and no blame can be put on them. Who are you trying to warn, the passengers already know about it, and the illness is not still on the ship so future cruisers are safe.

So why the original posting, I am afraid you are firing blanks.

How come I did not get 5 postings!!!?????????

Dai

Archived