Hepatitis E outbreak on P&O liner-BBC News

G.M.T.

I would like to ask one question. Why on earth are P&O being slated for people consuming food and drink off-board in countries contaminated with Hep E?

According to the World Health Organisation ((http://www.who.int), Hep E is transmitted via the faecal-oral route. Hepatitis E is a waterborne disease, and contaminated water or food supplies have been implicated in major outbreaks. Consumption of faecally contaminated drinking water has given rise to epidemics, and the ingestion of raw or uncooked shellfish has been the source of sporadic cases in endemic areas. I am sure that P&O did not use any contaminated food or water or all the passengers and crew would be infected, not just a point of a percentage of all on board!

It’s a shame that the press are such scare mongers, and an even grater shame when the public love to promote a little misfortune. Maybe Blu*Donau should buy a scythe to help with spread of ‘good’ news!

Who is slating P&O, I am certainly not. I found a very current news article that was concerned with cruising and so I posted it on my favourite cruise site. I was not the one to start commenting about this and that, my original message was without comment, just a link to a news item.

If members have problems with such news items then they should take it up with the Press Council.

I believe Old Father Time had a scythe on his shoulder, so time is on my side.

Ron

PS. Here is another interesting article for consumption

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/05/01/hepatitis_e_breaks_out_on_cruise_ship/3970/

And 5 to you so that is 5 all and rocking daddy to serve.

BTW

I still cannot see the relevance of the posting.

There was an illness on board, P&O kept everyone informed. The illness was contacted on shore.

Are you trying to say do not go ashore in developing countries where this is endemic, I believe that people have been warned in general about only drinking bottled water, not having ice and not eating salads. If you want to remind people of this then say so.

P&O have acted properly in this matter and no blame can be put on them. Who are you trying to warn, the passengers already know about it, and the illness is not still on the ship so future cruisers are safe.

So why the original posting, I am afraid you are firing blanks.

How come I did not get 5 postings!!!?????????

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Seven people are ill on a cruise ship (NOT contracted on the ship) with a virus that could be life threatening in some cases and you find that posting such information on a very current news item as not being relevant. Sorry I do not take your stand.

In my original message I just pointed to a link where members could read the CURRENT news story for themselves. You are reading things in my message that didn't even exist between the lines.

It was the "OMG - How dare you post such an item on this forum brigade" that first mentions and must say continues to mention about where the illness was contracted and what passengers should and should not do, not myself.

The original posting was about cruising and this is a cruise site so the two go hand in hand.

With regards to firing blanks, you will have to ask my wife who is the father of our four kids.

Found this interest item:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1917157/Hepatitis-outbreak-hits-'jinxed'-cruise-liner.html

Ron

Seven people are ill on a cruise ship (NOT contracted on the ship) with a virus that could be life threatening in some cases and you find that posting such information on a very current news item as not being relevant. Sorry I do not take your stand.

In my original message I just pointed to a link where members could read the CURRENT news story for themselves. You are reading things in my message that didn't even exist between the lines.

It was the "OMG - How dare you post such an item on this forum brigade" that first mentions and must say continues to mention about where the illness was contracted and what passengers should and should not do, not myself.

The original posting was about cruising and this is a cruise site so the two go hand in hand.

With regards to firing blanks, you will have to ask my wife who is the father of our four kids.

Found this interest item:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1917157/Hepatitis-outbreak-hits-'jinxed'-cruise-liner.html

Ron

But it is still "old" news. this was on the boards some time ago. and in one of the papers you quote they say this

"Some have speculated the Aurora is cursed, partly because 600 people aboard it fell ill with the Norovirus in 2003, the report said."

This is blatant scaremongering as Aurora and P&O ships have a very good record compared with some other lines notably Holland America which has up to 6 times the number of Novo. outbreaks.

It was reporting like this on the BBC (south) which has upset a lot of people.

Try looking at the figures from the usa health authorities.

Try this link and count the H/A outbreaks.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2007.html

Dai

:rolleyes: CHILDREN, CHILDREN, CHILDREN!!!

Behave, please....;) ;)

I agree 80% with you (OK as you wrote it so nicely then 90%.:)

The other 10%, well, when one finds a news article about cruising and posts it on a cruise board, I do not like when self appointed censors start tell me (my interpretation "be quiet", "how dare you rock the boat" etc. etc.) and fire broadsides. Then in time honoured Nelson tradition I fire broadsides back.

I wish you and your family great and safe cruises.

Ron

PS. As you are so nice - I won't post and news links.:D

But it is still "old" news. this was on the boards some time ago. and in one of the papers you quote they say this

"Some have speculated the Aurora is cursed, partly because 600 people aboard it fell ill with the Norovirus in 2003, the report said."

This is blatant scaremongering as Aurora and P&O ships have a very good record compared with some other lines notably Holland America which has up to 6 times the number of Novo. outbreaks.

It was reporting like this on the BBC (south) which has upset a lot of people.

Try looking at the figures from the usa health authorities.

Try this link and count the H/A outbreaks.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/outbreaks2007.html

Dai

When a NEW case is confirmed on 30TH. APRIL 2008 and the test results are still awaited on another passenger then it is not an old story but NEW.

If you think you have a case then raise your converns with the Press Council.

I believe that the press is still free and not government owned in England, so I will keep reporting any NEW developments in this incident.

Ron

I am a huge fan of P&O, but I think the OP was correct in their post. They pointed to a relevant up to date story that could have an interest to P&O cruisers.

When the story is elaborated on by forum users, they usually get to the bottom of it. This is why the forums exist, to help all.

There was a guy from Swansea shot on a P&O cruise whilst in port. It had nothing to do with the ship, but it was reported and I for one was interested.

I think you had every right to slate the BBC's comments. Providing you have facts to do so. As the OP said, the latest case was only a couple of days ago. So it is new and relevant.

I also don't know much about the illness, but I hope it can't lurk on the ship. Another reason for this to be looked at on these boards. People on these forums tend to have an expert in most fields. And I am sure there will be one who can allay peoples fears.

I think slating of the OP is harsh.

Matt

I have read the updates and exchanges with interest! My parents were on the first leg of the world cruise and disembarked in San Francisco - before the alleged incident took place but they have been contacted about this and asked for blood tests - although it would seem that they could not have been exposed, as they were off the ship before it was contracted.

P&O are obviously doing the right thing and checking the issue out - but I don't think the story is dead yet!

MattOsprey[/left];14518320]

I also don't know much about the illness, but I hope it can't lurk on the ship. Another reason for this to be looked at on these boards. People on these forums tend to have an expert in most fields. And I am sure there will be one who can allay peoples fears.

I think slating of the OP is harsh.

Matt

My point is that the news was not new, it had been reported on before some weeks ago and that the illness was not caught on the ship, it is not like norovirus it is not transmitted person to person. You have to drink contaminated water or eat food washed in the water. eg. salad.

The warnings have been around for years about not drinking tap water in countries where Hepatitis E is rife, not eating salads and not having ice in drinks.

P&O are being very careful over the health of their passengers for which they should be commended.

Dai

My point is that the news was not new, it had been reported on before some weeks ago and that the illness was not caught on the ship, it is not like norovirus it is not transmitted person to person. You have to drink contaminated water or eat food washed in the water. eg. salad.

The warnings have been around for years about not drinking tap water in countries where Hepatitis E is rife, not eating salads and not having ice in drinks.

P&O are being very careful over the health of their passengers for which they should be commended.

Dai

My point is maybe the incident happened some time ago, BUT as there have been NEW deleopments then this incident is NEWS again.

WWI and WWII have been over for 60 and 90 years respectively, but every week there are news items about them, this week there was a memorial and plaque unveiling in a Kent church for one of England's WWII fighter aces, on BBC World there was a report about how the Allies tunnelled under the town of Arras to shelter 24000 troops. I haven't seen anyone complaining about that?

Only the self appointed censors keep raising the subject that the illness was not caught on the ship. Noone is disputing the fact, BUT the fact is that a passenger on the ship was confirmed to have Hepatitis E on 30th. April 2008, the day I posted my original message. So in my book this was certainly new develops and as such NEWS to be shared on this forum.

I would assume that everyone agrees that Cruise Critic is a very serious cruising site. Why ask? Because on 1st. May 2008 CC posted a news article about the Hepatitis E incident on the Aurora

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2557

Q.E.D.

Ron

I would assume that everyone agrees that Cruise Critic is a very serious cruising site. Why ask? Because on 1st. May 2008 CC posted a news article about the Hepatitis E incident on the Aurora

Here is the link:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2557

Q.E.D.

Ron

Therefore they are way behind in this news as well.

Dai

Therefore they are way behind in this news as well.

Dai

The lastest illness is confirmed 30th. April 2008 and CC report it on 1st. May 2008, that is NOT way behind but consecutive days (i.e. two days - one after another without any gaps between them).

The CC article was signed, so now there is a person to complain to.

I think once a cruise ship is launched, thats it, we don't need any more news about it, there is no need to advertise cruises or publish itineraries. Who's interested! Might as well shut CC down.

I shake my head in disbelieve.

Ron

ROFL X 5 thank you to rocking Daddy and Ron promise I will not post this 5 times

ROFL is much better than RTFM!

Haven't found anything on the Internet as to the deep meaning of multiply messages - must be a Freudian meaning somewhere. Or the quickest way to reach the 5000 Message club on CC.

My X5 new contibution :D :D :D :D :D

Ron

We joined Aurora in Hong Kong and carried on until Southampton. There was no mention of the Hep E incident during the cruise, and the letter we received a few days ago didn't ask us to undergo any testing. We were advised that some passengers had fallen ill and what the symptoms were, with an information sheet on the disease.

P&O took a lot of trouble over cleanliness. The ship was spotless, any handrails were wiped down frequently, and if we entered the Orangery (the buffet restaurant) we had to wipe our hands with a germicide gel. I never felt the slightest unease over the quality of the water or the food.

However, the same could not be said of conditions off the ship. You eat the local food, you drink the local water, you're taking a risk.

I for one am pleased these links have been posted - I got off Aurora this morning after having received a text message telling me Aurora was in the news with regard to Hepatitis:eek: , I didn't even know which variant, so any news is greatfully received.

As the trip was nearly over I didn't waste any time worrying about it (If it was on the ship, I reasoned that after 13/14 days, if I was going to get it, I already had it) - I just continued my normal 'anti-noro' routine of handwashing and not touching anything if going to eat.

Karen

Archived