Help - MOB Dress

marvholly

Youngest daughter is getting married 9/05. Have just started to look for a dress. Need to wait until she really settles on her bridesmaids color. She has already (in 3-4 months) changed 3 times. However, want to try to purchase on sale after the holidays. Noticed a BIG change since last purchase for oldest's wedding Aug 03. Much less glitter sequins, beads and stuff.

Thinking/am seeing more embroidered. Am I right? Is this the direction I should be looking? Hate to buy a dress that is already out. This will be an evening/dinner wedding so plan on doing long or mid-calf. Help/comments appreciated, especially from E/W coasters as style changes seem to hit there first.

Hi! I saw no one has responded to your question so I thought I would give you a great website that you could look up all kinds of wedding stuff, especially dresses:

theknot dot com

I spent oodles of time there, even after the wedding! I had to come here to wean myself from it.

Well, do you REALLY have to wait for the bridal party colors? Things are not so "written in stone" anymore as far as wedding do's & don'ts.

You could always to tell her to choose a color ALREADY!!

You could always go with black......that surely won't clash and black is one of the most formal colors you can choose. You can also choose a color she surely would NOT choose, for time's sake.

I live in NYC but no matter where we live.......simplicity is elegance and glitz & glamour are always in!

You live in/near Chicago, we don't know anything that you don't know....but thanks for the compliment! LOL

Such a joyous occasion........and don't forget to put something in your hair!

Dolly :)

DollyCruise

Fashion changes do hit the coasts first. Late hubby traveled many states over his selling career and I have shopped in NYC, San Francisco, LA and Miami over the years.

I have been thinking black with silver, but that is MUCH like what I wore to oldest's and since my hubby passed away 3 1/2 weeks later I do not want to bring up bad memories on this day.

For the hair tip: I have already been looking at the twist in "diamonds" and pearls. However, my hair is VERY (mens length) short. We'll see.

My dd got married last Nov in AZ. She flew back for Labor Day wkend to help me look for a dress. (I don't think she thought I was incapable of choosing one on my own, really I don't!) She insisted that I not get a black dress so that restricted my choices. My decision would have been a lot easier if I'd been a regular size, but I'm petite and the selection was horrible! I did find a lovely eggplant color beaded top, mock two-piece dress. It fit beautifully, and I rec'd a lot of compliments on it.

It was so gorgeous that I thought I ought to give it a second outing and started planning a cruise vacation in 2004. Then in Dec-Jan dh and I got a nasty case of the flu and lost about 7-8 lbs. When we recovered, we embarked on a serious exercise plan so that dh (who needed to drop a few) wouldn't regain those lbs. Result? I lost another 10+ lbs. I was down a full dress size, and my gorgeous dress no longer fit beautifully. But I was going on a cruise regardless so July 4th wkend I went formal dress shopping again.

The selection was a fraction of what I'd found the previous Sept. I had to settle for a "little black dress" which was the only one I found that was at all suitable and fit well. The traditional fancy dress season is around the Xmas holidays so the selection is much better in the mos leading up to that time.

The moral to this over-long story is: if you find a nice dress, jump on it! Don't wait thinking you'll find another b/c as time goes by you'll have a smaller selection.

M/R

Our youngest daughter was married a week ago today! And our oldest was married last year so I've had some experience in buying dresses. For the wedding last year I picked a dress by Montage, style 12930. It was ice grey, a nice neutral color that goes with everything, it had a fair bit of beading, sequins etc. plus some embroidery. The jacket removes to show a one-piece dress that looks like 2 pieces, similar beading on it as well, this one is going to be great for our cruise. If it's warm enough I can go without the jacket. I got many compliments. For last week's wedding, the dress was by Karen Miller, the color was 'banana' but I would class it as a buttercream, again, it goes with everything. The one this year was a bit plainer. The dress was a sheath and had a row of crystals all around the v-neck. The jacket had a scroll design only on the front, again with the crystals. The crystals picked up just enough light to sparkle without being 'too much'. I had people say that they thought I wouldn't be able to outdo the dress I got last year but I had! I don't think I will be taking it with me, I had to diet and work out like crazy to fit into it! While I don't want to gain any weight, I also don't want to worry like crazy because 5 extra pounds would show in this dress.

You don't necessarily have to match the rest of the wedding party because you aren't in any pictures with them unless you have a member of the family who is also in the wedding as I did.

I'd be glad to answer any more questions.

Lynda

It is my preference NOT to be in the same exact color group as the bridesmaids. Although I am down to a size 10 again I am 58 and they are all 20 somethings. Also, I will be in pictures with some of the wedding party as my oldest DD is a bridesmaid. Further, I would prefer to keep the color somewhat neutral which is why my original thought was silver and now is leaning to black w/ silver. All my other formalish stuff is either black or in the off=white/ivory/gold group. Saves on shoes/bags when packing for a cruise.

My daughter just got married on Sat. so I know what you're going through. Not sure how much you want to spend - I ended up getting mine through the same bridal shop she got hers from. It was a Jade by Jasmine - nice beading on the top - just enough to sparkle. I also had requirements that the dress must be cruiseable and danceable as hubby and I love to cruise and love to ballroom dance so the skirt had to be fuller without being bulky. I did find some beautiful dresses at East Room in Geneva but they are on the pricey side, however, alterations (hemming, etc) are included.

I waited until about 3 months before the wedding to order my dress and was able to get it without special ordering. I ordered it through Irena Bridal in Villa Park, Lombard area. Service was fantastic and the alterations were excellent.

My mom wore this lovely champagne colored dress with matching jacket. There were tiny silver/gold/champagne beads on the cuffs and down the opening of the jacket. It was so elegant, and would be appropriate for her to wear to any formal function.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I know I have tons of time to go but I am starting to shop now so I can keep an eye on trends and watch for sales. I got away with murder on the cost of my 2 pc dress for oldests wedding 8/03. Bought both on the clearence rack on a 10% off for seniors day. Spent less than $100. Know I won't be able to do that this time as oldest did a brunch and youngest is doing a dinner. Another reason, other than what I am seeing in newer styles, for lowereing the "glitter" level is that is what I did for oldest.

Full long length is ideal for the mother of the bride at an evening wedding in September. Don' forget it still can be warm too. A jacket with the dress is perfect unless you are able to wear a shawl/wrap. Shimmery fabric with an elegent shine is perfect today. Silver, grey, bronze, even celery (a cross between pewter and light green) is very attractive and catches the light just right. When you see the dress that you love, try it on and if it fits, looks good and you can afford it, buy it now. Don't wait for your daugter.

Archived