Pantyhose with sandals

I know this is one of the divisive issues - most women hate them or love them. I live in Canada where it gets to -40 sometimes in the winter and my legs at that time of year are pasty white - so I am not averse to hose and do wear them.

However, normally in the summer with the warmer temps and a tan, I don't.

It just dawned on me that I might want to wear them on our upcoming cruise. My formal is a gold silk dress cocktail length dress and I'm wearing a champagne colored strappy sandal with it. I can see a very sheer hose with a touch of shimmer looking really, really nice with that dress - giving it a more sophisticated look, and keeping me a tad warmer than bare legs.

But here is the question of the century - and I know it's been discussed before, but I'll ask it anyway.

Is a sandaltoe foot pantyhose accpetable with strappy sandals or will you all be laughing at me all night? :eek:

Thanks for the advice.

Won't be laughing but it just doesn't look quite "right". I think bare toes with a nice manicure looks better with strappy sandals.

Have you tried the sandals with pantyhose? Usually your foot slides around in the shoes.

If your worried about white legs, some Jergens tanning moisturizer will take care of that.

I've never been cold on a ship so I don't think you have to worry about being warm.:)

If the hose is very, very sheer with a sandal toe, I wear them with sandals for evening. Just tuck the little seam under your foot. I've heard alot of women say that this doesn't work...but it does for me!:p In my opinion, if you buy the high-end pantyhose, you get a very sheer look. Try Victoria's Secret or Dillard's, Nordstrom, etc. If you can find the Donna Karan hose (I forget exactly which one), those are amazing. Very sheer and they do have some with a shimmer. Good luck and enjoy your cruise and your pantyhose! :D

I'm asking a real question, not trying to stir anything up. ;) On one hand you read so many comments about how "wrong" it is to wear pantyhose with sandals but then most of the hose I see in the stores are "Sandal-toe". Obviously there is a market for them or they wouldn't be making them. So someone out there is wearing them. I personally don't like to wear hose with any type of shoe, but on occasion I do feel like my legs look better with hose and will go ahead and bite the bullet. I don't think I've ever worn hose with sandals (mainly because the hose make my feet too slippery for the sandals) but I am not opposed to the look. I'm just curious as to why exactly it is that wearing sandal-toe hose has become such a faux-pas? Obviously, most people would prefer to see a lovely leg and nicely pedicured foot in a sandal, but that just isn't possible for everyone (well, the lovely leg part isn't always possible :eek:), so isn't the sandal-toe hose with a sandal a better alternative versus being limited to closed-toe shoes all the time? :confused:

I agree, Bonnie.

I think bare legs - no matter how nice your pedi is - can look very "unfinished" with many dressy dresses, and that sheer sandalfoot hose is appropriate in those cases.

Especially when those legs are pasty white like mine - and I *did* try one of those tanning moisturizers. My tan washed off at the hotel the morning my cruise sailed!

I see so many women at work in a nice suit or a business-like dress - and then their bare legs ruin (IMO) the entire look.

Throw a little self-tanner on your legs and don't worry with the hose! Just because they make an item, doesn't make it right! (Think waist-high, tapered jeans (mom-jeans)--they shouldn't be worn by ANYONE, yet they make them!)

Unless you are in a cold climate, stockings are just not comfy or needed!

I tend to agree with you ladies, but maybe we are of a different era (or maybe not!). I'm 45 and even when I was in my late teens and early 20's I wore hose. I still think climate has something to do with it, but I still think that a dazzling formal dress looks more finished with hose. Maybe not in a hot climate, but for the most part, that's how I feel. Of course most of my dressing up involves black peep toe shoes and a black dress, so hose is a no brainer then, it's when the shoe of choice is a sandal that I start to second guess it.

But you are right - 90% of the hose out there is sandal-foot, that has to be for a reason!

I always wear pantyhose to church or if I am dressing up for work. It finishes off the look (if it isn't a sundress or anything that style). And my legs look nicer in them. I do look for the most sheer pair I can find though. Also, I have always liked closed toe shoes more than open toe, so I have never had to think about what my toes look like with pantyhose. But I am starting to discover more open toe shoes that I like, so I guess I better figure it out also.

Not sure if it is a different era thing. I am only 23. Like I said, in dressier situations like at a place of business and church and formal functions, pantyhose are appropriate.

In regards to your question: "Is a sandaltoe foot pantyhose accpetable with strappy sandals or will you all be laughing at me all night?"

I say forego the hose! I don't think wearing pantyhose looks right with open toe shoes. Especially if you are traveling in the warmer months... I don't think you would need to wear them. Hope this helps a bit :)

So I think that's 50% for and 50% against, thanks for clearing that up. :D

I'm gonna go try the dress with panythose and the sandals and see what I think - I'll let you know a little later. I do have a tan now, and I will be getting a pedicure (manicure, etc) before I leave so all systems are go in that regard.

It's just that the dress is so nice, I want to make sure I'm doing it justice. I guess I'll try it on and see, stay tuned.

OK, I just tried it on again, and I had forgotten how long it is - it hits right below the knee, so the only exposed part of my legs are my calves, so hose really aren't necessary.

However since the dress is 100% silk I have to buy some really smooth undies to wear under it (don't say thongs - EEEYYYUUUCCCKKK!). The dress is lined but silk is such that you can see every line under it. I tried on 2 pairs and you could see both.

So that's the verdict, thanks for all the input. :)

Throw a little self-tanner on your legs and don't worry with the hose! Just because they make an item, doesn't make it right! (Think waist-high, tapered jeans (mom-jeans)--they shouldn't be worn by ANYONE, yet they make them!)

Unless you are in a cold climate, stockings are just not comfy or needed!

Oh..thank you cb at sea :D . That is absolutly hilarious!! ROTFLMAO

It really depends on the hose.

I've found some at Nordstrom that are a 6 denier, almost invisible unless you are peering at my toes from only inches away. I don't wear hose with all my open toed shoes, but my gold ones just don't look right with bare skin.

OK, I just tried it on again, and I had forgotten how long it is - it hits right below the knee, so the only exposed part of my legs are my calves, so hose really aren't necessary.

However since the dress is 100% silk I have to buy some really smooth undies to wear under it (don't say thongs - EEEYYYUUUCCCKKK!). The dress is lined but silk is such that you can see every line under it. I tried on 2 pairs and you could see both.

So that's the verdict, thanks for all the input. :)

just whack off yout ph's about 1/2 way..so they will come above the knee..and still give a seemless..look, and calm even the least lil jiggle, or dimple

Stockings are just not comfy...

This is the argument that's constantly advanced by hose-haters - yet the same people wear many other things and undergo processes that are not "comfy" -

Shoes with heels so high the wearer must walk on the balls of the feet and or which distort the natural shape of the foot (beyond uncomfortable -a health concern): heavy makeup (including false eyelashes which have made a comeback) in hot weather; all sorts of hair processing, devices, and products; shapers and undergarments (often made necessary by the absence of pantyhose) which are equally or more uncomfrotable - some are pure torture (ex. the Dr. Rey's)

So the real issue is not comfort but personal preference for a particualr look and, for many, following the dictates of what "they" say is in fashion.

It all depends whcih "they" you listen to

...However since the dress is 100% silk I have to buy some really smooth undies to wear under it (don't say thongs - EEEYYYUUUCCCKKK!). The dress is lined but silk is such that you can see every line under it. I tried on 2 pairs and you could see both...

There's a new solution on the market. It's a little edgy but you get the desired results. I posted this on the Undies and white capri pants... thread and got quite a bit of feedback. Mine are posts #s 7 and 20.

Repsol

Sorry, but I'm one of those that do laugh at people who wear hose with sandals. If it's warm enough for sandals, you shouldn't need hose IMO. I also have issues with little girls wearing socks with sandals. :-)

Although I used to wear them all the time...I can't wear heels anymore.

So when I want to wear dress slacks or a less casual dress,I have to wear open shoes of the dressy sandle type that has a heel.

I wear sheer panyhose or knee highs with above mentioned items so I can wear heels of a sort & give a finished look to my appearance.

My toes always have a french manicure that looks nice with the casual look.. no hose & low or flat sandals but also shows well with the sheer hose.

IMO business,dressy or formal all deserve more than bare feet. I wouldn't want to see my hubby in bare feet, sandals & a suit or tux, no matter how nice his feet looked...A time & a place for everything....

PS..I have seen women sent home from work for their sandals & bare toes at the workplace

el tigre

I don't see a problem with sheer hose and sandals at all. I think I'm one of the few who think wearing hose makes sandals more comfortable. If I don't wear hose, the straps tend to dig in more to my feet.

I also hate shoes that you can't wear socks with. I just like having something in between my feet and my shoe, no matter what type of shoe!

:)

I think I'm one of the few who think wearing hose makes sandals more comfortable. If I don't wear hose, the straps tend to dig in more to my feet.

I also hate shoes that you can't wear socks with. I just like having something in between my feet and my shoe, no matter what type of shoe!

:)

I definitely agree that most shoes are more comfortable with socks or stockings of some sort - Hosiery prevents getting blisters from the shoes rubbing directly against the skin and getting that awful sweaty feel from contact with vinyl , leather, or other shoe material. I absolutley cannot abide sneakers without socks, and most enclosed shoes hurt when not worn with stockings

Most sandals and a few enclosed shoes are okay IF they have very soft straps/uppers and have a really good-feeling material (not sweaty vinyl - ugh) for the footbed. I am VERY particular about my shoes.

"THEY" are the fashion industry! I remember years ago when the bare leg was THE new, in thing...and it started with the fall and winter fashions! Yeah, great idea; let's all freeze our legs off when the temp outside is below 50 degrees! If I recall correctly, that very next spring, THE new, in thing was to wear dorky looking leggings! Great. Now we get to overheat in fuzzy, knit leggings all summer! Call me grumpy, but that's when I decided I didn't really care what 'they' said was in fashion. I did slowly quit wearing dresses altogether, because I felt I looked out of place in my hose, but I wasn't happy about it. Hmmm...I feel strangely better now...:rolleyes:

Archived