Thoughts for a nonformal person

bwjm

What are thoughts on these dresses on cruise? I've seen some of the gowns that people have put pics on, but I do not dress up. Church is jeans and a nice shirt! Happens in small town PA.

BUT, was wondering if either of these would pass for a formal night in dining room? If not, buffet for me!:D

771428093_whitedress.jpg.8bc2308e62d25792c9a2f725fa7e8c44.jpg

yellow.jpg.36765298ba6b583f8023c76924f32780.jpg

What are thoughts on these dresses on cruise? I've seen some of the gowns that people have put pics on, but I do not dress up. Church is jeans and a nice shirt! Happens in small town PA.

BUT, was wondering if either of these would pass for a formal night in dining room? If not, buffet for me!:D

Those are cute sundresses but I wouldn't consider them formal attire.

A few accessories, nice shoes and you'll be just fine in either one.

Exactly:) I think you would be ok if you dress it up with nice shoes and accessories. They are both really cute dresses that can be dressed up or down.

I think you could "get away" with it on some cruise lines, but neither are "formal" dresses. Think cocktail dress or evening gown. (Something you would never wear to church or a PTA meeting!)

I see from your profile that you're cruising on Princess. Here's their dress policy:

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

I think the dresses that you have pictured fit perfectly into the Smart Casual designation...they are definitely not Formal Wear...no matter how you accessorize them. It has more to do with the fabric than the style. CB at sea had it right...think of something that you wouldn't wear to church or PTA (or a picnic).

no link attached but a lot depends on what cruise line you are going on - carnival you could easily get away with any sundress...royal caribbean then it might not fly - actually with a fancy sweater over it, anything will fly...good luck (i personally prefer a nice pair of capri's with a nice shirt - doesn't have to be a dress you know)

I see from your profile that you're cruising on Princess. Here's their dress policy:

Onboard Attire

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you're dining onboard. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual Evenings:

• Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal Evenings:

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

I think the dresses that you have pictured fit perfectly into the Smart Casual designation...they are definitely not Formal Wear...no matter how you accessorize them. It has more to do with the fabric than the style. CB at sea had it right...think of something that you wouldn't wear to church or PTA (or a picnic).

As discussed MANY MANY MANY times before the above ae just suggestions.....not rules, not the law....;)

As discussed MANY MANY MANY times before the above ae just suggestions.....not rules, not the law....;)

I know your post is a bit tongue in cheek but nowhere did I say that these are "the rules, the law"...it is Princess' dress guidelines. Of course, there are MANY MANY MANY cruisers who feel that guidelines, policies, suggestions, etc. don't apply to them and I say whatever floats your boat. But the plain and simple fact is that no matter how much bling you throw on the OP's dresses (which is what you all were suggesting she do), they cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered formal wear. Will she "get away with" wearing them on formal night? Perhaps, but I'd rather steer her in the venue appropriate direction rather than the "do whatever the heck you want to do" direction.

But the plain and simple fact is that no matter how much bling you throw on the OP's dresses (which is what you all were suggesting she do), they cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered formal wear.

+1. A Toyota with a Mercedes hood ornament is still a Toyota.

I know your post is a bit tongue in cheek but nowhere did I say that these are "the rules, the law"...it is Princess' dress guidelines. Of course, there are MANY MANY MANY cruisers who feel that guidelines, policies, suggestions, etc. don't apply to them and I say whatever floats your boat. But the plain and simple fact is that no matter how much bling you throw on the OP's dresses (which is what you all were suggesting she do), they cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered formal wear. Will she "get away with" wearing them on formal night? Perhaps, but I'd rather steer her in the venue appropriate direction rather than the "do whatever the heck you want to do" direction.

Just a matter of opinion and as far as her getting away with anything.......she will be fine and there will be no getting away as I know if she choses to wear the dresses she wil be dressed better than some people there.

By the way just to update you....they are just guide lines and if they decided to dress as you state they should is certainly their choice. No I don't think jeans are appropriate for formal nights:rolleyes: but I am POSITIVE she will be just fine and look fabulous in either one of those dresses on formal night.

Hi,

I would say that if you are asking if you could "get away with" those dresses the other posters are correct and saying you could with shoes and accessories.

However, they are not "cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pant suits". So if you are asking about them because you want to be dressed according to the Princess suggestions, then I agree that something similar in a dressier fabric would do the trick. Alaska will be cooler than a Caribbean cruise, though when you are indoor it doesn't make much difference.... so you might even opt for a long gown.

I can't remember where you live, but there are many stores that sell inexpensive evening gowns and cocktail dresses. If you want to splurge you can, but you could probably find a "little black" dress for under $30 and be more with-in the guidelines. :)

You will see many people on your cruise who have no clue what formal means, :obut since you asked here on the fashion board, I figure you probably care enough to get it right. :D

yes, cruising Crown Princess to Caribbean next year.

Not sure how 'right' I want to get it. These were two dresses I was looking at, that to me, are very dressy. I am all for skipping the formal night, too, and hitting the buffet.

I wanted to ask to see if I were to give the formal night a try, would I fit in, or should I just skip it.

Thanks for all the help/advice/and comments! These boards have really been a lot of help in getting me prepared for my cruise!!

The first time I cruised I had no idea there was a "formal night" and did not pack accordingly. I wore the blue jeans that I wore on the trip to the boat along with a nice collared shirt and felt that I fit in well. There were people wearing shorts and t-shirts. Most were quite dressed up however. This was a Disney Caribbean cruise.

The second time I cruised I wore a pair of Dockers and a dress shirt and sport coat. I fit in well as this was how almost all of the men were dressed. That was a RC cruise to Key West and Cozumel.

This next cruise (in one week) I have rented a tux. I did this because I am currently losing a lot of weight and do not wish to spend money on nice clothes or a suit that will fit for a month. I am actually looking foward to going to formal night in style.

From what I have seen on the two cruises I have been on, you will fit right in in either of those dresses.

Archived