Carnival vs Royal Carribean

We just got off the Carnival Sensation, which is one of the older and grungier (supposeldy) of the Carnival ships, but we had an absolute blast on our first cruise! My mother in law cruises all the time and swears by Royal Carribean. We are planning another cruise and are debating between the two lines and need some suggestions. We are in our twenties and are hoping this time we can leave the two kids (2 and 3) at home, although they had a lot of fun on the last cruise. Any suggestions and details would be great! Thank you!

I think you picked the perfect first cruise. We also went on a old Carnival ship for our first and as we had nothing to compare it to we thought it was GREAT.

So now I can be more objective about it. I love a nice brand new ship, but I can go on an older ship and still enjoy myself. I just not not to have my expectations as high.

You do "get what you pay for"-I do not see that as negative-I just want my money's worth. I never expect a brand new ship that we paid $1000 plus for an inside cabin for a 7 day cruise to be the same as a 4 day $399 cruise-or vice-versa.

Too many people will take a really nice cruise and then because that was a one time splurge and they can't afford it, they then take a mini cruise on an older ship. Then they are disapointed it is not as nice. That does not make sense to me. How can you expect a $399 cruise to be as nice as a $999 cruise?

As far as RCI being "better"-it depends on what you are looking for-the food is no better except at Chops and Portofinos. But if you love rock climbing and ice skating you will love the RCI mega ships.

Now me, I want a more refined experience so I prefer HAL and Celebrity. They are more like the traditionial cruising of old, and that is what I want. They serve suberb food in their regular restuarant (much better then carnival or RCI) and if you really want GREAT food -do the pay extra -you can expect 5 star!

I am not atheltic. I do take daily walks for exercise and the promande deck is fine for that. That is the extent of my exercise.

Your being a young family, RCI with their extras for exercise, and the Johnny Rockets for the kids, may be just what you would need.

I also think you will find a Carnival spirit class ship very nice for a 7 day cruise. (Miracle, Legend depart FL ports) they are not as congested as the conquest class but still have all the pools, the super slide that kids love etc. and a 1000 less PAX so you get to enjoy them more.

Which is the other reason I do not care for the RCI mega ships. (never tried the conquest class and have NO desire to) I hate crowds and I do not do well in crowds and since I am not athletic there is no reason for me to do that type of ship.

Now when you compare the Sensation to the Sovereign of the Seas (or next year Monarch of the Seas) which does a similiar ittenary-I think you will find you like some things about one ship - and others things about the other ship-for ex. RCI's calmer decor versus larger staterooms on Sensation.

I agree the 2 lines are alike I think it depends on the actual ship and crew, we did Carnival Destiny 3 years ago and the food, service, everything was just great, then people raved about Royal stating the food was better, well if I compared the food on the 2 Royals I did then Carnival was better, so I think it really depends on ship crew, both are great

we are doing Princess for the first time, to Alaska, I hope the crowd is not to old we are mid 40's

good luck

I agree the 2 lines are alike I think it depends on the actual ship and crew, we did Carnival Destiny 3 years ago and the food, service, everything was just great, then people raved about Royal stating the food was better, well if I compared the food on the 2 Royals I did then Carnival was better, so I think it really depends on ship crew, both are great

we are doing Princess for the first time, to Alaska, I hope the crowd is not to old we are mid 40's

good luck

I think Princess is a better choice for a younger crowd. Still, Alaska does attract an older crowd overall, but I do believe Princess would have a younger feel then HAL or even Celebrity.

Archived