Just booked our First Ever Cruise!!!

JanieCaper

We have friends that were going and they talked us into it. Well we had been talking about doing a cruise for a long time but hadn't jumped off the pier :). We are really excited. I am wondering what a cruise is all about and want to hear other people's thoughts and experiences. We are sailing Nov 9 - Nov 16 on the Caribbean Princess. What are things that we can do in the ship? What about the ports of call, any recommendations? We also are arriving a day early in San Juan and staying a day later, cheaper flights. :D Anyone know of a decent hotel that won't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance.

We have friends that were going and they talked us into it. Well we had been talking about doing a cruise for a long time but hadn't jumped off the pier :). We are really excited. I am wondering what a cruise is all about and want to hear other people's thoughts and experiences. We are sailing Nov 9 - Nov 16 on the Caribbean Princess. What are things that we can do in the ship? What about the ports recommendations? We also are arriving a day early in San Juan and staying a day later, cheaper flights. :D Anyone know of a decent hotel that won't cost an arm and a leg? Thanks in advance.

Here is alot of info on the ship...enjoy!

:) :)

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You will love it and the Caribbean Princess!!!!

DH and I sailed on her last year and had a great week.

We loved the aft pool for afternoon cocktails every day. In addition, it was also close access to the seafood buffet.

Another thing we loved was the Thermal Sanctuary in the spa area.

If you are going to St. Thomas, a WONDERFUL day trip is to book a full day daysail. We used Interline Sail. We took a cab to Red Hook and boarded the sailboat there. We then sailed over to St. John, snorkeled, swam, open bar and full lunch and snacks all day. It was probably one of the best excursions we've ever done.

Have an awesome time!!!

Congratulations! We're doing the Caribbean Princess in December so you'll have to write a review:) Pricewise we've stayed in old San Juan at Da House, and this year are staying at the Hotel Milano. Both are very reasonable and either might fit your requirements. I know people bid on priceline too. What itinerary are you on islandwise? Have fun!

If you list your ports, it will be easier for us to make suggestions. You can also go to the Ports of Call board and get lots on information on things to do.

Like some people said, once you cruise you are hooked.:D Have a wonderful time planning your cruise.

marilyn

Your'e absolutely right! That's all I want to do now!

To the OP, We took our first cruise on the Caribbean Princess back in April of '07, same type of situation..my cousin and her husband were booked and had been trying to "sell" the whole cruising thing to us for sometime. We were so used to doing land based vacations and staying at small boutique style hotels (most recent years in Costa Rica) and the thought a 3000 pax ship seemed crazy and overwhelming. One word came to mind...CROWDED.:eek: Well...we went with an open mind and I gotta tell ya...I was soo wrong! We LOVED every single minute of it...You can make your vacation as private as you want or go out a meet some really great people (which you definately will). There's always something to do on the ship or if you don't feel like doing anything..you can do that too! You've got some great tips from other CC members already, keep at these boards and try and find out as much as you can about the ship, ports of call etc.

I wish you a great first cruising experience! I'm so excited for you!! P.S if you love to shop ( handbags) there is a Coach store located in Old San Juan near the pier. EXCELLENT prices!!

In concl. even though we absolutely love cruising,(we booked) our honeymoon cruise next year...we have decided that our love for Costa Rica is just a s strong so we're staying there before hand for the first week. Sometimes you just need to compromise...:D

Happy cruising!!!

San Juan, Puerto Rico

12:00 AM

11:00 PM

At Sea

Bridgetown, Barbados

7:00 AM

6:00 PM

Castries, St. Lucia

5:00 PM

St. John's, Antigua

8:00 AM

Tortola, British Virgin Islands

5:00 PM

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

San Juan, Puerto Rico

6:00 AM

We did the exact same one this past December on the Crown. Loved every island. Barbados was our favorite. Tortola is nice too. St. Thomas..great for shopping and beach. If you get a chance, book an excursion to The Baths especially if its your first time there. I could on and on....but I won't because I'd probably end of writing pages upon pages:eek: As Andee suggested, check out the ports of call boards...you'll get some really valuble info. as to what to see and do.

For hotels - you can try a Princess Pre-Cruise plus package booked through Princess. They can be cheaper sometimes. For example - in Fort Lauderdale, we were able to book a hotel room at the Marritott North for 2 nights only through Princess, and one night on our own (package only allowed for 2 nights). Each night through Princess $ 55 per person or $110 per night. We had to do one night on our own as only 2 nights were able to be booked through Princess at this particular hotel - $256 a night. These packages also include transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to pier.

If you booked through a travel agent - you can have them call Princess for pricing. If you booked online, you can call Princess directly at 1-800-Princess.

We were on the CB (Caribbean Princess) in January, and just last week for one of the four night specials. I don't think you will be disappointed.

My suggestion is to go to the Reviews section (link is at the very top of this page) and read the reviews from this season for the Crown Princess, Southern Caribbean. The ships are very similar, and you'll get lots of ideas of what to do in the ports. Have a great time --- we did the Explorer itinerary last November and had a blast!

Archived