Solstice Lawns?

joseph123

With all the competition ships are looking for the Lure. Is Grass the answer? Feels good to me! Open air grass between my toes...a Mai-Tai on my hand on the ocean blue...but, wait! What about a golf course! no, that has been done..what about a Movie like a drive thru...no that has been done. How about a climbing wall...no that has been done...no for those folks who have never been to New york..lets make central park!

I wish the exec's would read these notes and find out we only want a happy time on a ship with Great Service, Great food that is not in our kitchens, Cocktails that don't cost and Arm and a Leg, and let us enjoy the ports of call and the seas...now why don't they get it? Add a little entertainment and a good internet service, and maybe they could skip the grass????:eek:

I have yet to see a way for a person who uses a wheelchair to get to the lawn area. But I like it and will tip heavily to have a couple pool butlers or waiters softly land me on that green with a glass of glorious wine to stare upwards at the stars for several hours.

I wish the exec's would read these notes and find out we only want a happy time on a ship with Great Service, Great food that is not in our kitchens, Cocktails that don't cost and Arm and a Leg, and let us enjoy the ports of call and the seas...now why don't they get it? Add a little entertainment and a good internet service, and maybe they could skip the grass????:eek:

If they did all those things for us, they would not achieve what they are looking for--marketing buzz. None of these things (Great Service, Great food that is not in our kitchens, Cocktails that don't cost and Arm and a Leg, and let us enjoy the ports of call and the seas, entertainment and a good internet service) will get the the buzz and the press that the grass and the glass have. The same with the Cirque experiment a few years ago. All of these have gotten them mention in the general travel press (not just the cruise press) and the general public has heard about X one more time.

My guess is that the grass will be replaced with something that earns revenue at the first dry docking.

You assume they won't start charging for access to the grass. My guess is it will be around a while (and will remain free) and may even become a signature ship trait for Celebrity.

My feeling is that glass-blowing and a patch of grass onboard are sort of lame gimmicks.

Flame me if you must; I don't care.

I'll bet that the service animals would really appreciate the grass, though.:rolleyes:

Glass blowing, not so much...

The thing that has me puzzled is why they would do something that will probably be very difficult to maintain.

One huge problem for golf courses is when the soil becomes saline and the salt kills the grass. Some golf courses have problems just because of some of the reclaimed water used to irrigate the courses has a high salt content because of the use of water softeners on land. Doesn't it seem that the water on board ship would cause the same kind of problems?

It should be interesting to see how it works.

It seems to me there are ammenities on the ships to meet the needs of different passengers. For me, the kid's program is useless and a waste of space, but I suppose for those with children, it is a necessity. Just about every lunch for me is in the spa cafe, but I'm sure there are those who would never set foot in there. My point is, different ammenities for different people. With 3,000 people on the Solstice each week, we can probably assume that not all of them will want to be doing the same things, fortunately. The more innovation the better. I'm looking forward to our two upcoming sailings on the Solstice!

I agree with the people who don't get it. Maybe the people who live in urban areas with no grass will enjoy it. If I want to feel grass between my toes , I will step out my back door. Living here in Wisconsin, I would not pay extra to experience something like that. One of the reasons I cruise is to experience the ocean. Like one of the posters mentioned, maybe something like the star observatory on the Queen Mary would be something to consider. The stars you would able to see away from all the man made lights on a clear night would be awesome.

I'm not sure about the lawn, but going in with the idea, don't knock it until you try it.

But, most of us HAVE tried grass, it's nothing special. :(

I do understand the concept of different things for different people, but I would hope that Celebrity could come up with something unique not something that is so mundane.

The Star Observatory that jakedoc mentioned sounds awesome, I would certainly like to try something like that.

This thread is the perfect example of how there is no way to please everyone. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but just because this concept does not appeal to you does not mean it does not interest others. And since NO ONE has even experienced it yet, it seems a bit premature to knock it. Ok, I'll stop now...I'll go beat my head against the wall. :)

This thread is the perfect example of how there is no way to please everyone. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion but just because this concept does not appeal to you does not mean it does not interest others. And since NO ONE has even experienced it yet, it seems a bit premature to knock it.

You go girl!

Some should not mowe the grass until it´s grown fully! If they don´t like it at least they can dry it and... oh well thats another thread of the new ships then... LOL! Hello Kent- Wolfies.

As for the glass show hm, I don´t need a glass show but some will sure love it. I hated this stupid Cirque du Soleil thing and how they ruined one of my favorite lounges on board the Summit- but some may have loved it.

Greetings

Michael

Just booked the Solstice for summer 2009. I'm going to keep an open mind on the lawns, I will be sure to check them out. Perhaps it's for the increasing number of Brits to have somewhere to play cricket. It sounds like an incredible ship but it's going to be a long 13 months before we get to sail on her.

Some should not mowe the grass until it´s grown fully! If they don´t like it at least they can dry it and... oh well thats another thread of the new ships then... LOL! Hello Kent- Wolfies.
You know, reading this thread and having the mind that I have.:rolleyes: I start to wonder who will be the first to try a quick moonlight rendezvous with their favorite other or not so favorite other if the case maybe... on the grass fields on Solstice.:D I wonder if they'll have surveillance cameras up there.:cool:

The thing that has me puzzled is why they would do something that will probably be very difficult to maintain.

Believe it or not, for the last year there has been grass on EVERY Celebrity ship. Apparently, they have been trying different grasses in different climates. :)

You know, reading this thread and having the mind that I have.:rolleyes: I start to wonder who will be the first to try a quick moonlight rendezvous with their favorite other or not so favorite other if the case maybe... on the grass fields on Solstice.:D I wonder if they'll have surveillance cameras up there.:cool:

Maybe you my freind.. or could it be me:eek:

Hi Solsitce Dez. 28 th Bunch of friends.

Nice idea Fred- but.... oh well...... cameras. No no no! Remember I am in my forties ( by then) not in my twenties. LOL!

Okay before we get kicked out a here, lets go back to our RC.LOL.

Greetings

Michael

Hi Solsitce Dez. 28 th Bunch of friends.

Nice idea Fred- but.... oh well...... cameras. No no no! Remember I am in my forties ( by then) not in my twenties. LOL!

Okay before we get kicked out a here, lets go back to our RC.LOL.

Greetings

Michael

Hey Michael, I'm just responding to the discussion and giving some possible usages of the Lawn Club on the upcoming Solstice class ships. After all, life is what you make it and it isn't all about picnics and putting.:D

I had heard that they had a grass area for service dogs, is that what you are refering to?

Supposedly, Celebrity has been working with the University of Florida testing different grass strains in a test area on all the ships.

Archived