Could this lawsuit happen to Celebrity

dkjretired

There was a thread on the NCL board about this and one of the links was much more detailed in the background for this.

NCL has freestyle cruising. The article stated that the family couldn't get reasonable times for reservations at the various restaurants unless they were the restaurants that charged pp (specialty).

I don't think this would apply to X as they have traditional seating and not freestyle.

I never thought I would see the day when a passenger sues a cruise ship because they can't get food. I would have thought the opposite---with all the abundance of food, they would sue for causing them to eat to over indulge :)

I saw a review once from an NCL passenger who was very upset with his Freestyle experience because he really didn't get to do what ever he wanted when he wanted. He spent much of his cruise waiting in lines at the crack of dawn so he could get his reservations for dinner.

While I don't mind some dining options, I hope that cruise lines never get away from the main dining room being a special experience. I also don't mind having some choices for passengers, but for me I want to have a set time and table. It takes away some much stress and worry about when and where to dine. If you have a large party, there is never any worry or discussion about who wants to eat when and where.

At home we have to worry about that kind of stuff, but a cruise takes me away from those types of worries and just lets me enjoy my time with my family.

I know many many people love the "Freestyle" cruising experience, but as long as cruise lines still offered traditional dining, I will always book a traditional dining cruise.

and by the way why shouldnt those of us who paid more expect more

I do presume that you are referring to more cabin size ....

... to expect more of every part of the ship or the cruise is just a trifle presumptuous ???

Roy

I do presume that you are referring to more cabin size ....

... to expect more of every part of the ship or the cruise is just a trifle presumptuous ???

Roy

Hi Ardy :)

Maybe, but this concept does exist on other cruise lines. For example, on a Cunard ship the category of a passenger's cabin determines their dining room assignment and the quality of the food in Cunard's nicer dining rooms for their more expensive cabins is significantly better than where most passengers eat.

I'm sorry that you carry so much stress and worry with you on the cruise ship. Life is too short, when at home or away, to worry about trivial things like dinner plans.

We don't worry about anything when we take a cruise. We hardly think it is stressful or worrisome deciding when and where to go as that is the fun part in having so many choices. The alternative, in my opinion, set plans at the same time each evening with the same set of table mates is very boring and mundane and akin to summer camp.

This is why I love a cruise so much. Never a worry, never a care, just show up at your set time and have a completely relaxing experience.... never a worry about making a reservation.

Maybe, but this concept does exist on other cruise lines. For example, on a Cunard ship the category of a passenger's cabin determines their dining room assignment and the quality of the food in Cunard's nicer dining rooms for their more expensive cabins is significantly better than where most passengers eat.

Hmmmm ....

As this is my 1st Celebrity cruise, I am now keen to know whether a table of 8 in the dining room gets service(and/or food) according to what they paid for their cruise ????

Hmmmm ....

As this is my 1st Celebrity cruise, I am now keen to know whether a table of 8 in the dining room gets service(and/or food) according to what they paid for their cruise ????

On Celebrity it won't make a difference. Everyone in the main dining room gets the exact same service and food, no matter what cabin they booked.

Some waiters are better than others but that is the luck of the draw :)

Media spun oh course it appears trite...

But:

Does NCL rank reservation availability for their non-specialty freestyle restaurants by cabin catagory?

If yes, and if that substantially impacts (note I state 'substantially') reservation availability for lower cabin grades then that ought to be disclosed, since I believe that WE ALL AGREE that dining is an important element of the cruise experience.

X's dining format wouldn't invite this problem. I think NCL patrons would be surprised to learn that there is a hidden 'class structure' in the dining reservations system. (If it is true.) Is NCL the hidden Cunard? That's an interesting idea. If there is truth to the allegation that cabin grades are discriminated against then there is probably a non-disclosure (misrepresentation) issue present. Does it rise to the level of a viable legal claim, NCL will find out soon enough.

and by the way why shouldnt those of us who paid more expect more

Thx Sky Sweet

So there is a difference between what one pays as opposed to how many times (Loyalty Programs), which is quite understandable !!

Roy

Thx Sky Sweet

So there is a difference between what one pays as opposed to how many times (Loyalty Programs), which is quite understandable !!

Roy

Yes, the only overlap is that people who stay in a suite get an extra point in the calculation of their Captain's Club (loyalty program) status and can attain elite status (over 10 points) faster.

sorry folks but i pay a fair amount for the suites i rent from x (not complaining) and i do expect to be given some consideration from x.

yes, we do get priority passes for tenders etc but not much else

so, whats wrong with expecting a table in the specialty restaurant in priority to folks stayin on the seaweed deck inside?

i dont see a problem, we are spenders they are not. its really quite simple.

if we stayed in a standard room in a hotel we would not expect the same privileges or perks we enjoy in a suite,

the ship is nothing more than a floating hotel to us

by the way we usually have most of our meals in the main dining room and quite enjoy it but when we want to eat in the specialty, we do expect a table will be available within a night or 2 of our requested date

we have never been diappointed and frankly doubt we ever will be,

x understands even if some of the op do not

I think the way NCL promotes freestyle causes disappointment. It is presented as this wonderful thing where you eat when and where you want. In reality, most try to eat around showtimes, causing huge backups twice a night. We never got in a specialty restaurant despite trying every morning and checking for cancellations most nights. There were so few tables in these venues, only a very few could get in each night. There buffet was horrible--chicken livers as the only meat one night, everything at room temperature, always out of silverware and cups.

It really made me appreciate X!

When you call to make your reservation, your cabin number would show up on their caller id, so they could easily book according to level of cabin. I don't see why they would though. So many frequent cruisers stay in cheaper cabins where once in a lifetime cruisers splurge and may not be potential repeat customers.

--with all the abundance of food, they would sue for causing them to eat to over indulge :)

Hi,

Just wait .....Lawyer Hoffman will soon get around that....after all, didn't someone sue McDoanld because their food made him fat ??

So what's stopoing an ambulance chasing lawer to ''instigate'' a lawsuit against the Cruise Lines for ''inducement to improper quantitative food comsumption'' ???

That's probably next in line...( unless somebody sues the lines first for '' discrimination'' following the newly released policy for infants and pregnant women....)

Cheers

:eek:

On NCL I think you opt for specialty restaurants in self defense because the food in the regular dining room is not very good. Or so folks who've done NCL tell me. With X this isn't a problem because the dining room food is quite good.

Jim I am curious. When you said:

x understands even if some of the op do not

does your 'op' refer to original poster or ordinary people???

I'm sorry that you carry so much stress and worry with you on the cruise ship. Life is too short, when at home or away, to worry about trivial things like dinner plans.

We don't worry about anything when we take a cruise. We hardly think it is stressful or worrisome deciding when and where to go as that is the fun part in having so many choices. The alternative, in my opinion, set plans at the same time each evening with the same set of table mates is very boring and mundane and akin to summer camp.

I've also NEVER had any problem on open dining to be seated immediately in the dining room..or less than 5 min. We ARE very flexible admittedly, love to share with people, and especially new people, That's why WE go on cruise, to see new places and meet different people from around the world. We have had both sorts of dining, my DH likes both, while I really prefer open. Reason being the different set of people to eat with , new stories, etc.

Strange...I have cruised with NCL 3 times and have never had any problems booking dining reservations. I have had an inside cabin twice and an oceanview once. Never a problem booking reservations, never had to stand in line...no dining issues whatsoever.

I've also NEVER had any problem on open dining to be seated immediately in the dining room..or less than 5 min. We ARE very flexible admittedly' date=' love to share with people, and especially new people, That's why WE go on cruise, to see new places and meet different people from around the world. We have had both sorts of dining, my DH likes both, while I really prefer open. Reason being the different set of people to eat with , new stories, etc.[/quote']

Hi Napi's Mom :)

Glad to hear about your positive experiences with open dining. We will be trying it for the first time next month on Brilliance of the Seas, and are looking forward to it.

Most of our friends who have done both also prefer open dining. I think assigned seating is nice for people who have only been on a few cruises, but doing the exact same routine on every cruise after a while can become as stale as sailing the same itinerary.

I think the issue with NCL is that if you are staying in a certain category or higher you can make reservations for the entire cruise at the beginning of the cruise, while people in lower category staterooms can only make reservations a day in advance. This does give people in suites an advantage when making reservations for any restaurant. Whether or not it rises to the "ruining" your vacation level probably depends on your level of expectations and your flexibility. And I venture to say that if you don't have a little flexibility in your vacation perhaps cruising is not for you - on any line.

Part of the problem may stem from NCL's advertising which makes it seem that you will get to eat whatever you want whenever you want without mentioning the fact that all 3,000 people on the ship can't be in Teppanyaki, for example, at the same time (can't even fit in there all in the same night). Again, I'm not saying it would necessarily be reasonable to make that assumption solely based on advertising but for someone who has never cruised before and isn't aware of the limitations of the cruiseships, it might not be such an unbelievable assumption.

My wife and I are doing a last minute trip this weekend to New Orleans and wanted to have diner at one of the nice well known and famous restaurants for Saturday or Sunday night and everything was already booked. :mad: We are staying at one the best French Quarter Hotels in a suite and had no pull to get reservations even the hotel’s guest relations person couldn’t help. I think I will call my lawyer and see if I can file a law suit against City Tourism Department.:p :p

Strange...I have cruised with NCL 3 times and have never had any problems booking dining reservations. I have had an inside cabin twice and an oceanview once. Never a problem booking reservations, never had to stand in line...no dining issues whatsoever.

It is so important to hear both sides of the issue. It was really funny because on another board, the poster with the unpleasant experience on NCL some how got the idea that I worked for NCL and really chewed me out thinking that I was being trite with him.

For my self personally I would not choose a line that did not offer traditional dining, but I know that for many people the Freestyle thing works great. Perhaps the ease at which it works depends on the ship itself and the efficiency of the staff. Perhaps it might also vary with the make up of the pax and the particular itenerary? The guy that had the difficult time with the reservations and the waiting in line mentioned that he had not encountered this problem on other NCL cruises.

Archived