Bringing back rum cakes

kaw904

I have read that people bring back coffee and rum cakes. Just want clarification that this is ok?? I know one can't bring back perishables, like bananas, etc. since they are not wrapped and might have parasites.

Thanks.

No problem with either. It's the fresh fruits and vegetables they don't allow.

Although when we disembarked the Victory, Customs was making people toss their small boxes of Cheerios and Lucky Charms cereal and bags of chips that they had brought off the ship for their kids. They never really gave a good explanation for that...

I got Blackbeard's in the Cayman Islands, great tasting and some say the best tasting and they have slightly better deals on them than the more advertised brand. One free 2 lb cake with the purchase of the 6 pack of small cakes. ($30).

I got Blackbeard's in the Cayman Islands, great tasting and some say the best tasting and they have slightly better deals on them than the more advertised brand. One free 2 lb cake with the purchase of the 6 pack of small cakes. ($30).

Last cruise, in the ship's gift shop, the tall box of five (or 6?) individually boxed rum cakes was a little under $20. I always bring those back for friends.:)

Those Tortuga Rum cakes are out of this world. I always bring a few home after a cruise. Especially the original and the chocolate.

Just polished off the last one yesterday from my Mioracle cruise 2 weeks ago.

I need to book another cruise and get more :)

Those Tortuga Rum cakes are out of this world. I always bring a few home after a cruise. Especially the original and the chocolate.

I am OBSESSED with those silly cakes LOL

I am OBSESSED with those silly cakes LOL

God I never even liked Rum cakes before. Then we were in the Caymans and we stopped in a little liqour store that also sold the cakes. They had little samples of all the different flavors.

I think I ate a whole cake one tootpick full at a time *LOL*

Been buying them ever since :)

Last cruise, in the ship's gift shop, the tall box of five (or 6?) individually boxed rum cakes was a little under $20. I always bring those back for friends.:)

Are you sure it was for 6? It was $27.99 on my last cruise, but it was RCL. I think there was something available for under $20 but it wasnt the six pack on my ship.

Its true they charge $2 more for the 6 pack of Blackbeards, but the 2 lb freebie is worth an extra $20. So its a deal. I got banana for my 2 lb freebie. So for $30 you get the 6 pack of mixed and the 2 lb of your choice.

You might have been looking at a smaller size as Im sure its been $27.99 on several ships for the Tortugala brand which most say isnt as good.

Blackbeard has a smaller than 2 lb size for nuts on top which is pretty good too but they didnt have it in 2 lb when I was there.

I sampled both brands and the Black Beard most on CC who have had it said was better tasting.

Also be aware that the rum cakes will be fresher purchased in Grand Cayman, even though they last for 6 months so you might not care.

I love the chocolate ones! I always get a couple to bring home!

Firefly - I said five, but thought it might be six. Now I'm thinking it probably was five. I really think the box was like $19.50. Hey, I'm old. I forget.:D (I make rum cakes a lot here at home; especially good w/the Malibu Coconut rum...which I made last week. I have the mini-bundt pans, so usually make nine at a time.)

I bought the 6 pack on the Valor for $24. They were selling the little ones for $6 in Cayman, so I saved $12 by buying them on the ship. The 6 pack had original, chocolate, banana, key lime, coconut, and pineapple (I just had a bit of the pineapple).

these small ones are only 4 oz each, so 6 X 4 = 24 oz. so getting a free 2 lb rum cake thrown in for $30 is still the best deal if you get the other brand, thats 32 ozs free.

Im kinda surprised that no one reading this thread has tried Black Beards. Usually there are two or three others piping in that have tried both brands.

Firefly - I said five, but thought it might be six. Now I'm thinking it probably was five. I really think the box was like $19.50. Hey, I'm old. I forget.:D (I make rum cakes a lot here at home; especially good w/the Malibu Coconut rum...which I made last week. I have the mini-bundt pans, so usually make nine at a time.)

So, what time is dinner? I'll saves lots of room for desert...atleast 4 of those cakes will do...lol...:D

On the Valor last week they were 2 6 packs for $48 - on the island they were 27.50 - what we use to do in the past is buy them with the rum in them for 29.50 and then they take them back to the ship and you don't have to worry about carrying them all over creation.

Archived