Europe/Med weather in May?

We are trying to decide on a couple of European cruises at the moment. To make up our minds we need to know what the weather is like in May in Europe and also on the Med. We have just returned from the Med in Mid-Sept and the weather was gorgeous. Does anyone know the rainy season? All advice will be appreciated.

Hi,

We did the Royal Princess Rome to London this past May (3rd) and thought it was a really great time to go. It did rain in Rome for the three days we were there and the first couple of days on the cruise (Florence and Barcelona). But honestly it did not bother us - the fact that we did not have to deal with major crowds and got to see everything we wanted to was a blessing. We were not cold and just had our lined raincoats with us. We had warm (but not hot) weather the rest of the cruise and it was just gorgeous, even in London at the end (our third day in London it rained, but it was no big deal). we ended up feeling like we had gone on our big adventure during a really great time - we would definately not like the crowds I've read about in summer. But if rain worries you, it is definately a possibility?

Tammy

Tammy is very fair with her observations but may I add that the weather in the Med is likely to be better than in Western Europe (eg London ) , although there can naturally be no guarantees. As evidenced by many cc contributors the weather in the Med in May can be really nice- warm and sunny but without the crowds.

We sailed Med (Barcelona - Marlseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Civitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona) from May 15 to May 22 this year and weather was PERFECT every day!!!

It was around 70F - 74F every day , sunny and warm but not hot...During the evenings it was a bit cooler. I can't imagine better weather to do sightseeing.

Also we had maybe 10 or 20 kids on the ship so they weren't an issue too.

On our flight back we stopped in London and while weather co-operated and it didn't rain..it was much cooler.

Hi cruise4food

All I can say is ''you lucky person'' !!

The weather should be really good ang the crowds will still be no problem.It gets very busy during the school holidays, in July and August. Should be fine to end of June

Have a great time

In a word: P E R F E C T !!!

(Of course, we may have been extremely lucky!)

We've cruised the Med. several times....the first time was late August early September - and I'll NEVER, EVER cruise Europe in August again....it was horribly HOT - and of course crowded because literally all of Europe goes on "holiday" in August.

Again, we may have just been luck - but May has been heavenly so far!

Well, although starts to be pleasant, never take anything for granted around here. However there´s a slight risk of encountering late showers, temperature is arround 20-25 depending on the area. Some springs could be cold, so as far as weather is concerned things might be unpredictable. The western mediterranean is not as warm as the eastern one. In any case, with june, is the best time for cruising.

cruise4food,

My Med cruise was in the same timeframe as yours (May 26-June 10, I think) from Barcelona to Venice and we had fabulous weather every day. It was in the 70's or low 80's depending on the day and where we were. Of course, summer 2003 was a heat wave in most of Europe, so it may have been a little warmer than normal during our trip. There were a lot of tourists in many places, but it was much better than some of the same places in July, when it is totally packed. I think you picked a great time to travel. Happy sailing!

The Med has a two-season climate: generally hot dry summer and wet cool winters. So in the average year, May should be fine. But remember that there are fluctuations that cannot be predicted. For example, Europe was VERY HOT in the summer of 2003 but more normal this summer. On my first Med cruise, in the Aegean, it was unusually cool and rough in May. So, who knows?

Archived