Just returned from Dawn Princess Cruise

mpbmark

Just back from what is probably the last Dawn Princess-San Diego to Mexican Rivera-cruise. Actually, Princess may not even have this route next year.

I'll try to answer any questions about the ship, if I can.

Just back from what is probably the last Dawn Princess-San Diego to Mexican Rivera-cruise. Actually, Princess may not even have this route next year.

Sad, as San Diego is such a lovely port to depart from.

It IS sad!! It's our very favorite port! The view of downtown as you sail out of the harbor is so beautiful, there is so much to do & see in the area and it's within 10 mins. of the airport. Can't get much better than that. Hopefully, Princess will consider it as a homebase for one of it's ships in the near future.

I suspect they will keep the Grand Class in LA/San Pedro and make a port stop in San Diego. That's what happened last week when the Golden arrived in San Diego after the Dawn had docked. She left that night.

My group had planned to go to the steakhouse, but the food in the dining room was quite good and we canceled. On the Dawn, there is not a separate Sterling Steakhouse. Rather, a portion of the Horizon Court is curtained off and it is used as the steakhouse for the evening. Cost is either $15 or $20 per person.

If you can, try and attend the Chef's Table instead. Cost is $75 per person and includes canapes and champagne in the galley followed by a very special multi-course dinner in the Florentine dining room including both white and red wines. Meal ends with a desert wine (all wines are top end and unlimited), an opportunity to meet with Chef Thomas who will sign a Princess cookbook, a photograph to commemorate the occasion and a rose for the ladies. My guess is the value is closer to $100 per person and an unforgettable experience.

We just went out of San Diego last month for the first time and I do have to admit of all the ports we have used, I liked this one the best! Many that we have been to have been in older industrial parts of town not this one, the whole area was really clean and so conveniently located. We loved it and will sure miss it!

Archived