Bring fish oil through security check point

dchan865

Hi folks,

I could find the answer to this so here I am. Hopefully someone know this.

My wife wants to bring fish oil to our long trip. Since fish oil has liquid inside, will TSA let you bring it beyond the check point?

Yes, I know. You can put it in checkin luggage but we are only taking carry-on to avoid the hassle.

Thanks for any thoughts.

For the life of me I don't understand why, but that's not the question (regarding the fish oil).

TSA has a 3-1-1 rule.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in 3 oz containers or less

These containers must fit into a 1 qt plastic baggie

Each traveler is allowed 1 bag only

The bag must be presented before going thru the scanner

IF it's for medical reasons, it must be in it's original container with proof of medicinal need such as a letter from doctor or the original prescription.

I notice that you are taking carry-ons only. Just a note: Most items in your shaving kit and items in your wifes makeup bag such as razor blades, deodorant, shampoo, makeup, conditioner, and stuff like that will not be allowed thru security unless it is part of the 3-1-1 rule.

For the life of me I don't understand why, but that's not the question (regarding the fish oil).

TSA has a 3-1-1 rule.

IF it's for medical reasons, it must be in it's original container with proof of medicinal need such as a letter from doctor or the original prescription.

I notice that you are taking carry-ons only. Just a note: Most items in your shaving kit and items in your wifes makeup bag such as razor blades, deodorant, shampoo, makeup, conditioner, and stuff like that will not be allowed thru security unless it is part of the 3-1-1 rule.

Safety razors (Bic, etc.) are allowed through security and the only make-up that would be included any liquid cosmetics. Many of the other items come in travel sizes or can be obtained at your destination.

With careful planning (travel size of necessary toiletries that fit the 3-1-1 rule, etc.) it is very easy to travel with only cary-ons, even with the 3-1-1 rule.

Does the OP mean FISH OIL CAPSULES-those things that are gel like with fish oil inside??? If so, I wouldn't worry about them-leave them in the original bottle and just stick them in your suitcase. If LIQUID fish oil, it will have to be in a 3 oz or less bottle and in your baggie.

Safety razors (Bic, etc.) are allowed through security and the only make-up that would be included any liquid cosmetics. Many of the other items come in travel sizes or can be obtained at your destination.

With careful planning (travel size of necessary toiletries that fit the 3-1-1 rule, etc.) it is very easy to travel with only cary-ons, even with the 3-1-1 rule.

Thanks for the info.

I travel quite a bit but I've never figured out how to get my shaving kit through security in a carry on. Then again, I hate carry-on's. I already have my computer bag stuff to deal with at security. Plus I always have a tool case to take with me, so,,,just check it all.

The future problem will be the fights for overhead storage space with the new additional charges being implemented for the second bag. The space was already at a premium, now with everyone and their brother bringing carry-ons, it should be interesting.

TSA has a 3-1-1 rule.

I travel all the time with at least two plastic baggies and have never been stopped. One with the Meds and one with the liquid make-up including lip gloss.

Does the OP mean FISH OIL CAPSULES-those things that are gel like with fish oil inside??? If so, I wouldn't worry about them-leave them in the original bottle and just stick them in your suitcase. If LIQUID fish oil, it will have to be in a 3 oz or less bottle and in your baggie.

Yeah, you're right. I was referring to fish oil capsules. I guess we'll bring a small quantity just in case.

Last year we were "caught" by screeners at Narita. We had a container that was bigger than 100mL but contained only a small amount of some expensive skin treatment. They said we had to discard it, the rule was container capacity, not the contents. Fair enough.

With their OK, we dumped out and rinsed a container of mouthwash at the drinking fountain, and transferred the expensive stuff. When I handed them the now empty container, they said they didn't want it because now it was empty and OK!

So we entered security with a OK container full of mouthwash and a too large container with a little skin medication. We exited with everything except the mouthwash. If we had something sinister in mind, I have no idea how that "drill" prevented it!

Last year we were "caught" by screeners at Narita. We had a container that was bigger than 100mL but contained only a small amount of some expensive skin treatment. They said we had to discard it, the rule was container capacity, not the contents. Fair enough.

With their OK, we dumped out and rinsed a container of mouthwash at the drinking fountain, and transferred the expensive stuff. When I handed them the now empty container, they said they didn't want it because now it was empty and OK!

So we entered security with a OK container full of mouthwash and a too large container with a little skin medication. We exited with everything except the mouthwash. If we had something sinister in mind, I have no idea how that "drill" prevented it!

You know, I missed those days when we didn't have to go through so much hassle of flying from one place to another. Now days in the name of safety, we have to deal with the details of what to pack and not to pack. I wish those days will return but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archived