camera bag +

Rats!!!! The bag is to small....ok, taking it back...getting the 200.

My camera was just too smushed in the bag...didn't feel right! oh well!

I'll try the 200 and see how it fits everything.

I remember when I got my Slingshot 200 I had looked at the Slingshot 100 specs and wondered what would fit in it...

You answered my question!:p

The Slingshot 200 holds my A700 with the battery grip and the 28-75 f/2.8 attached (a fair chunk of camera) . Plenty of room for lenses and flash. Surprising, considering how compact the bag is.

Isn't experience what you get when you didn't get what you wanted?

Dave

http://www.thinktankphoto.com makes some good quality bags. I have the Urban Disguise 50 which I can carry a D300, D70s, 70-200 2.8, 18-50 2.8, 50 1.8 SB-800, Laptop, and enough cards, batteries, filters etc.

This bag can be worn messenger style.

I prefer my Dakine Sequence for freedom of movement, but I use the UD 50 when I want a stealth look bag and need to carry a laptop.

SDN- Thinktank does have some great bags! That is a good link!

I made the exchange from the 100 to the 200 - yup - made a lot of difference, it doesn't look that much bigger, but everything just fit better! :D

I really do like the feel of the sling and I'm really trying to go lighter with all of the air travel issues that have come up. Hoping that I can carry just my 'must haves' in this bag and use it as the only bag I carry for all of the outings on our trip. I also liked this bag as it doesn't scream "expensive camera equipment in here!" LOL!

Thanks!

...I also liked this bag as it doesn't scream "expensive camera equipment in here!" LOL!

You may want to replace the neck strap with the bright, screaming logo with one of these.

http://www.centralcamera.com/Bags-Cases-Straps/Straps/Kata-Reflex-C-Neck-Strap/

Very reasonable and very comfortable. It has two nearly invisible zipper pouches that hold memory cards. Long enough adjustment to carry cross-shoulder too!

Dave

Any recommendations for backpacks for 1-2 dSLR bodies, flash, batteries, a 50-200 and 2-3 additional lenses?

TIA

Chris in VA

Tamrac Adventure 9: http://www.tamrac.com/5549.htm

or

Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW: http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-300-AW,2036,4.htm

I also really like the the National Geographic medium backpack (not cheap, but has a great retro look!): http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-NG-5162-Explorer/dp/B000FJ2OSM

Dave

I ordered the Crumpler 6 million $ home (that's the name, not the price) from amazon, but have not received it yet. It was kind of pricey, but I really like carrying something that doesn't scream "Expensive camera inside!":D I have a large backpack that holds everything but when I go out shooting, I just want room for my camera and 1-2 extra lenses. I'll let you know in a couple days how it works out.

Oops, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Crumpler-MILLION-DOLLAR-Shoulder-Oatmeal/dp/B000W8ZDWA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210819108&sr=8-2

If anyone is interested, I did get my Crumpler bag listed above. It's bigger than I thought it would be, both inside and outside. It easily holds my Sony a300 camera, with 50mm lens attached plus 18-250 & 90mm macro lens, plus any accessories you could want. Could probably put another couple medium size lenses in there. It's very well padded, and has lots of velcro-edged inserts to adjust the space to your liking. However, I really wish I had bought the smaller 5 million size - this is pretty big, more like a diaper bag than a messenger bag size.

Karen,

Been away from here for a while - keep getting busy and distracted with other things, from work to family to trips, etc.

See you picked up an A300. Me too! (of course you know that from the other board...but I thought I'd announce it here) And the 50mm & 18-250 as well. I've also got a biggun' lens - Tamron 200-500mm...that's the one that's throwing the wrench in my camera bag search.

Maybe Dave can help here too...

Does your bag fit the A300 with the 18-250 attached?

And for Dave or anyone else - any bag suggestions for something that could handle the A300 with the Tamron 200-500 ATTACHED, plus room for the other two lenses and some accessories? I don't want alot of spare space - every bag I've seen in stores that can fit the 200-500 seems to be huge, and made to accomodate another 8-10 lenses and accessories. I don't need that much space - at most I'll likely add one more lens, and a flash unit.

So...I'm looking for a bag that can accomodate the A300, Tamron 200-500 attached to camera (with movable dividers so I could also store the camera body without the Tamron attached), the 18-250, the 50mm, maybe a 10-20mm wide zoom, and a typical-sized flash...plus room for charger, 4 or 5 filters, pen, extra caps & memory cards, and a tripod mount on the outside. I don't much care whether it's a backpack, sling, or bag.

Whatcha got for me? :)

Hi, Justin! No cruises planned? I thought maybe I'd spot you on my upcoming trip!

I measured the interior of my crumpler: it's 10.5" wide, 6" deep & 9" tall. It has lots of removable & re positionable pads. I put the a300 in the center, LCD down, with 18-250 attached and there's still a couple inches of space. Measure the height of your cam with the tamron 200-500 attached and see if it's less than 9 inches. I guess you could put it in lengthwise, with spare lens off to the side, but I don't know that I'd want to do that. I can put my tamron 90mm macro (about the same size as the 18-250) and the 18-70 kit lens, with a divider pad between on one side, could cover the top of them and put my small 50mm & 28mm primes on top. The other side has plenty of space for a flash (I don't have one to try though) and filters, and there are 2 large pockets for memory, pens, etc. There are loops on the outside, but as this is a shoulder bag I wouldn't want to hang my tripod from it.

Hope this helps!

Karen,

Been away from here for a while - keep getting busy and distracted with other things, from work to family to trips, etc.

See you picked up an A300. Me too! (of course you know that from the other board...but I thought I'd announce it here) And the 50mm & 18-250 as well. I've also got a biggun' lens - Tamron 200-500mm...that's the one that's throwing the wrench in my camera bag search.

Maybe Dave can help here too...

Does your bag fit the A300 with the 18-250 attached?

And for Dave or anyone else - any bag suggestions for something that could handle the A300 with the Tamron 200-500 ATTACHED, plus room for the other two lenses and some accessories? I don't want alot of spare space - every bag I've seen in stores that can fit the 200-500 seems to be huge, and made to accomodate another 8-10 lenses and accessories. I don't need that much space - at most I'll likely add one more lens, and a flash unit.

So...I'm looking for a bag that can accomodate the A300, Tamron 200-500 attached to camera (with movable dividers so I could also store the camera body without the Tamron attached), the 18-250, the 50mm, maybe a 10-20mm wide zoom, and a typical-sized flash...plus room for charger, 4 or 5 filters, pen, extra caps & memory cards, and a tripod mount on the outside. I don't much care whether it's a backpack, sling, or bag.

Whatcha got for me? :)

Check out the LowePro FastPack 350 or maybe the 250. Very cool design that allows you to slip one arm, swing it around and open it from the side like the Slingshot. I'm getting a 350 for a travel bag since if can carry a notebook if needed.

Oh, welcome back!

Dave

Dave

Sounds like your bag just misses for me, Karen. The A300 with the Tamron attached (lens hood removed) runs 11.5". I've got a Tenba bag now, which is great, but I bought it years ago for other cameras and it can't fit the DSLR and lenses very well. I can actually get everything in the bag, but I've got to take the Tamron off, lay it on the bottom with all the dividers removed, then lay a protective cloth over it, and stack the A300 with one lens attached, and the other lens next to it (doesn't matter whether I attach the 18-250 or the 50). Not exactly convenient for use, as I have to unpack the bag every time I want to get to the Tamron, and unpack again when I want to switch off.

Dave...thanks. I think the 250 is too small - the 350 looks interesting (I like the wide opening idea)...but looks like the interior width is 11"...It might fit real tight with the Tamron. I might need to check one out in person and try to fit my cam.

• 2 months later...

Not sure when this came out, but I just saw last night that Lowepro added a new Slingshot -- the 350, which has a laptop compartment. That was my one gripe about the Slingshot 300, and I didn't want the Fastpack because I prefer the sling -- plus, the Fastpack is not "AW" like the Slingshot is. I am now in search of a store that has it in stock & I can go check it out before I make up my mind. And here I thought I had made a decision w/the CourierWare (since no sling bag I saw had all the features I wanted). I'm thinking the Slingshot 350 could be just what I had in mind!

(I don't carry a laptop, but want that space for things like my thin binder of paperwork while traveling, or a light jacket, etc. The other Slingshot models can't accomodate the binder & I'm trying to do without other bags and make the camera bag all-purpose.)

Anyone seen or purchased one???

-- Renée

Any recommendations for backpacks for 1-2 dSLR bodies, flash, batteries, a 50-200 and 2-3 additional lenses?

TIA

Chris in VA

I just got a Lowepro CompuTrekker AW. It easily holds my two DSLR bodies, 3-4 lenses, AC,chargers, batteries, accessories and has space for a laptop too. Unlike other bags, there is no room for say carrying your jacket or other stuff, but with all that stuff in it I don't think I would want to put anything else in there. I'll be lugging those in a seperate carryon :D

Happy shopping.

Dave and Co: Lots of good info here and on other photo area's here. I have been looking, testing, checking, for a travel bag for my upcoming trip next week. Ordered the Lowepro Fastback 250 after checking sizes, what if's and my wife's desire to take our laptop with us. I gave her the laptop in it's over the shoulder case and said you get to carry this while I carry my medium sized photo bag. She said NO! I said there is this neat bag that will do both and I will carry it if you buy it. She said yes. Now I have a neat backpack (not too big) that will hold my XTI, battery base, with 28-300 lens with IS, spare 18-55 lens, 580EXII flash, couple spare sets of batteries for flash and digital card case with 5 4GB cards. I will back-up daily to the laptop and a DigiMagic EZ hard drive.

Keep the good ideas flowing and Dave does speak well, however I do shoot RAW about 10% of the time, as I have developed a good sense of when I need more out of the camera as I also have set the ISO to 800 on RAW+Jpeg.

Keep snapping great pictures.

Archived