Special Promos?

geoherb

I have been looking at the Veendam's New Year's cruise (12/26 through 1/3). Final payments were due 10/2. I keep hoping the prices will go down, but they're the same now as they were before final payment. When I checked this morning, there were 11 cat. F cabins listed on one of the major travel websites--and plenty of other cabins in the outside and inside categories.

We won't be going at the current prices. I signed up again on HAL's website for special promotions yesterday to make sure that Tampa sailings were included in the email promotions I receive. Should I give up hoping that prices will come down soon? Or just keeping waiting and hoping?

That is a very popular time frame and place to cruise. It may not go down until the last minute if they are not sold. With only 11 cabins left I doubt that it will go down as other people are doing what you are, hoping it went down. But seeing that there are only a few cabins left they may sell now.

Having said that, I would check the number of cabins on several web sites. If there are only that many left then a price drop may not happen. I would check every other day until end Nov.

I realize holiday sailings are popular, but I'm hoping that the longer cruise (leaves on Sunday and returns eight days later on a Monday) may keep some families from booking it.

There are 11 cabins in that category showing up on the major travel websites. There may be more available in that category since those websites don't list every cabin available. I counted 78 cabins in all the outside cabin categories. When the deck plans come up with cabin locations, there are big clumps of available cabins together.

Our 11 day New years cruise on the Zaandam went down in price by $500 per person since we booked it back in March. We just made final payment and it was great to see final bill reduced by 1,000!xClap-Hands.gifxClap-Hands.gif

I was thinking it was awfully early for final payment, but then thought maybe it was so early because the cruise is a holiday cruise.

Some of the prices I got through a website that lets different TAs give quotes were better than the major travel websites--but not a whole lot better. That was about a month ago. And that's when I decided we would wait to see if prices go down.

The final payment date came from one of the major travel websites. I noticed now that site is no longer taking deposits but rather requiring payment in full when people book this cruise.

It's one of those things where I'm sure we'd have a terrific time, but the cheapskate in me doesn't want to pay that much. I've started looking at taking a short trip to Charleston or Savannah between Christmas and New Year's. We can drive there, so that will save us airfare. Staying and eating at some of the most expensive hotels and restaurants would work out cheaper per day for the two of us. We might have to wait until 2005 to take our next cruise.

Archived