Porters in Port of Miami?

First time on RCI for us, do we have to take bags inside or do you drop off curbside and the porters take your bags? Also do the porters work for RCI and what do you tip them?? What time does RCI check in open, we like to get there early....Liberty of seas 5-24-08..THANKS

The Porters do not work for RCCL- signs everywhere remind you of that.

Tips- minimum of $1 per bag plus......

You will also see signs that say 'Tipping is not necessary" but I'd be afraid my bags would get accidentally 'lost'...... if I didn't.:D which I always do.

We couldn't find one of our bags almost the entire first night of our last cruise (port of embarkation was Miami). We were reminded over and over again onboard that the porters are not employed but contracted by RCCL. I was told by a deck supervisor that bags get on the wrong ship often.

I definitely recommend a tip for the porters and also keep an eye on what they do with your bags. In all of the excitement of getting onboard, it's easy to get distracted and lose track of your luggage.

Definitely tip those guys if you want to see your bags again. We do about $1 a bag. They tell you over and over again they will make sure your bags get to your room, blah blah blah. They just want a tip. They are not the ones that actually deliver the bags to your room. But we tip them because we don't want to take any chances. :)

We sailed the Freedom last week. We got to the port at about noon. We walked right through. I don't think we have ever got there much earlier than that. We did once and it did us no good because it took 1.5-2 hours to check in because there were problems with customs and the people getting off the ship.

We've only sailed out of 3 ports ... 1)Miami,:D 2)Pt Canaveral:confused: and 3)Ft Lauderdale:mad: and I listed them in order of how much I like the porters. This is the beginning of your vacation! Tip those guys extra for good luck!! we normally give them $ 20 to $30 bucks... I think it works!!

The only time I don't tip the porters is if we are on a ship's transfer bus (which isn't often!), as the driver will take care of getting the bags off the bus and to the porters. Otherwise, we tip $1-2 per bag--depending on the weight of the luggage!

We've only sailed out of 3 ports ... 1)Miami,:D 2)Pt Canaveral:confused: and 3)Ft Lauderdale:mad: and I listed them in order of how much I like the porters. This is the beginning of your vacation! Tip those guys extra for good luck!! we normally give them $ 20 to $30 bucks... I think it works!!

Did you mean 2-3 bucks or really 20-30?

We forgot about having to dump our bags off in Miami (ran straight for the terminal, ha ha)- it was easy to find the porters outside though, they are wearing a white vest I believe. This is the first time in 3 cruises I've seen/dealt with the porters - we only had one bag, tipped $1.00 and the guy seemed plenty happy with it. Said it nice and loud "THANK YOU FOR THE TIP MISS"...lol Pretty funny actually.

Yes, give them alot of money but remember they are union employees who already make an excellent wage unlike the ones who haul the luggage to your room.

Generally you'll be able to board the ship at around 11. Or at least check in. They may make you wait in the "holding area" till they're ready to take on passengers. We always try to get there as early as possible to avoid standing in lines.

You won't be able to get into your room till around 1pm so you grab some lunch in the windjammer and check out the ship.

Wow, we only gave a few bucks per bag and we only had 3 bags which still made it up to our room within an hour or so. The guy actually asked for a tip which kind of bugged me. I mean, I was going to tip anyway there was no need to ask for it. I felt like a child.

Wow, we only gave a few bucks per bag and we only had 3 bags which still made it up to our room within an hour or so. The guy actually asked for a tip which kind of bugged me. I mean, I was going to tip anyway there was no need to ask for it. I felt like a child.

I generally give $1 a bag but with gas prices being so high maybe I should increase it to cover their extra cost to get to work.

We cruised from Miami on LOS last summer and were forced to hand over $20 for our three bags, which the very burly porter said was the going rate "to get your bags safely to your room."

It was outrageous and annoying, but there were no RCI reps to discuss it with and we didn't want to take a chance of it getting 'lost' so we paid up. I would be on their case (so to speak) if we sailed from the US again. We are sailing from Barcelona next week and the tip will be much less, especially as someone has already pointed out that they are not the actual people who deliver your cases to your cabin

We cruised from Miami on LOS last summer and were forced to hand over $20 for our three bags, which the very burly porter said was the going rate "to get your bags safely to your room."

It was outrageous and annoying, but there were no RCI reps to discuss it with and we didn't want to take a chance of it getting 'lost' so we paid up. I would be on their case (so to speak) if we sailed from the US again. We are sailing from Barcelona next week and the tip will be much less, especially as someone has already pointed out that they are not the actual people who deliver your cases to your cabin

:eek: I would have written down his name and contacted whoever they work for. That's awful!

That's outright extortion. I would've told him to take a hike and reported him to his supervisor.

:eek: I would have written down his name and contacted whoever they work for. That's awful!

yes, but you know how difficult it is - you get to the port all excited then someone pressures you and you have to make a quick decision. Plu,s we assumed he worked for RCI and it wasn't until later that we found out he didn't. we caved in on this occasion but next time we'll be smarter

I have no problem whatsoever tipping people who provide a service, but just thought this was OTT - those porters must be raking it in, if they are on a decent wage to begin with

That's outright extortion. I would've told him to take a hike and reported him to his supervisor.

Good advice but, realistically, with thousands of people on the port where we were going to find his supervisor? Especially as he'd already relieved us of our cases

We take a lot of ones just for such an occasion. They get a larger handful and don't take the time to count it out. We tipped $2 a bag and they seemed satisfied. After all, they only throw the bags on a nearby cart and then roll them a few hundred feet (if that) over to the ship. I agree it is extortion as I am sure they are well paid, but we want to see our bags safe and sound on the ship.

What was with our cruise and people asking for tips Bugg?

Gosh, I don't know. I feel tipped to death and not really in a hurry to cruise again. It wasn't a bad cruise but the least favorite of the 4 I've been on because of the not really great service, attitudes, and asking for tips.

Gosh, I don't know. I feel tipped to death and not really in a hurry to cruise again. It wasn't a bad cruise but the least favorite of the 4 I've been on because of the not really great service, attitudes, and asking for tips.

I agree, definitely not a bad cruise but some areas were lacking for me as well. I will still cruise again, but I think I might honestly opt for a land vacation next time to somewhere I haven't been (say, Europe?) instead. I think when I do cruise again, I will be dining more outside of the dining room - maybe completely. I know that the staff work for the tips but after being asked, it leaves a bad taste in your mouth! I'm not an overly social person anyways so I've always had to push myself to go to the dining room too.....how weird though that staff would question you to death when you didn't come the night before or told them you wouldn't be coming a specific night! It's my cruise isn't it? Can I please eat where I want without feeling as though I have to explain myself to death? :(

Ahh...but still a great cruise. I really love CocoCay! There is just something about that place that I can't get enough of.

Archived