Segways

mom8386

Thanks for the reply! I've read a bunch of reviews of Segway tours and everyone seems to have fun. Just trying to decide whether to do the tour in Puerto Rico or Bermuda.

Where do they have the segway tour in Bermuda? I don't know much about Puerto Rico, been there once, but if you tell me where in Bermuda this tour takes place, I may be able to offer an opinion!

Where do they have the segway tour in Bermuda? I don't know much about Puerto Rico, been there once, but if you tell me where in Bermuda this tour takes place, I may be able to offer an opinion!

It takes place at the Dockyard. All opinions welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Mom8386...

Friends of mine did the 2 hour segway tour of Dockyard in Bermuda last year and loved it so much we have already booked the Puerto Rico 2 hour segway tour of Old San Juan and El Morro for all of us on our cruise this year. Both companies are almost a stone's throw from the pier (the double-decker yellow bus segway shop can be seen from your ship at King's Wharf in Bermuda and the segway shop in Puerto Rico is actually on an adjoining pier in Old San Juan).

Apparently segwaying is good for almost all ages and abilities (but there is a weight limit somewhere between 90 and 290 pounds depending on which company you charter--Puerto Rico's segway company permits up to 290; while Bermuda's weight limit is 250, I think--must be they have different segway models on hand). In Puerto Rico, they go out in groups of 6 (any more and some in your group would have to take a second tour) and they seem willing to change their start time to suit your ship's arrival if you book in advance. Since OSJ streets are really steep and it is almost always hot there; it would be great to "ride" along from place to place.

One of the nice features will be that the segway operators are also pretty darn good tour guides (in Bermuda they talk to you through a helmet set and you get a LOT of local history) and in Puerto Rico people have said that their narration at El Morro is even better than the fort's tour! There is also a great benefit to moving along about 5X faster than you could walk the same area when you are only in a port for one day!

If you want to know everying we know about segways in Bermuda and Puerto Rico; check out our mini-website listed below in our signature line. It has their contact information as well as great maps, photos, reviews and lisings for beaches, restaurants, attractions and shopping too for all the islands we have researched for our cruises so far!

Thanks for the response, Best Buds. I had emailed both segway places and only heard back from Jose in PR, so I ended up booking his 2 hour tour. And since, as you said, the streets are steep and the weather hot in PR, it seemed like the logical thing to do. Can't wait! BTW: what is the mini-website you mention in your post? Your signature line didn't show up. Thanks!

Sorry...don't know why it didn't show up...

http://www.bestbuds.from-ny.net

We are so excited--and anxious--that we are trying to find a place to "test drive" a segway even before we cruise (type "segway crash" in You Tube--lots of laughs!) There used to be a segway club in NYC that gave demos somewhere on the old World's Fair site in Queens??and there is a dealership in Rosendale, NY but we haven't contacted either yet! It looks easy--but so did the scooters in Bermuda!

Have fun!

I know...I didn't really want to look either and I probably shouldn't have told you about it but the one with George Bush, Jr was too good to pass up! My friends who did the segway tour in Bermuda last year said the ONLY tricky part was balancing properly while getting on and off carefully so that it wouldn't run forward or back before you were really on it. It looks like most of the mishaps are from people trying to go from forward to reverse to forward again too rapidly or jumping off heights--not something you or I will likely be doing!

And thanks for the website compliment--hope it helps you too!

Very funny, although that could very well be me! It should be interesting to say the least. I'm going with my daughter 22, who thinks that "bumber segways" might be fun, and my 78 year old mom! Should I be worried?! LOL

One way or other I'm thinking it will be the highlight of my cruise!

Archived